Guide Rod Laser

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by joerockhead, Feb 25, 2012.

1. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
  2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Not a fan of lasers on any gun. I find that I tend to chase the laser more than concentrate on my target. YMMV.

3. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I saw quite a few lasermax guide rods when I worked at the range. I never saw one in a .45 that didn't break. They held up in Glock 17's but every single one that one of our customers put in a 1911 ended up breaking. (Lasermax was always good about replacing them.)

4. Pro-One

Pro-One Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Don't do it:der:, I had a DoubleStar 1911 with one installed(Guide Rod Model) by dealer. When I took pistol to my gunsmith to start upgrades he advised immediate removal, inherent to failure and advised if laser was desired to go with Crimson Trace. If you don't like CT lasers, Laser max does make a model with laser as part of rear sight assembly for Your Glock. I actually have that model on my nightstand Glock 21SF. Activation is manually initiated by touching switch/button on left rear of sight assembly, 1st push on button initiates solid beam, 2nd push of button initiates pulse beam and 3rd push of button turns unit off. This set up is not as intuitive as CT models but gives an alternate option if laser is desired. I only use lasers on my carry pistols and that one house gun, hopefully was helpful and best regards Pro-One.
    Here's some photos of sight mounted model as mentioned, sorry about photo quality. Mark's Gun's 025-1.jpg Mark's Gun's 026-1.jpg Mark's Gun's 028-1.jpg :thumb:

5. griffonsec

griffonsec Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    +1

I've been on too many ranges watching folks chase the dot. I just picked up a pistol with CT grips on it, figured I try them out. Fundamentals went right out the window trying to chase the dot. They're off the gun and about to be out the house...

6. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I have a laser on my LCP, it is a Crimson Trace though, but my dislikes pertain to all lasers now, so I think it is relevant. First, they are super hard to see outside in daylight. I mean to the point at even 7 yards I could not pick it out sometimes. So in daylight they are pretty useless. Now, I agree that most scenarios play themselves out in the dark, so maybe it isn't such a big deal. But as previously mentioned, all fundamentals of proper shooting form go out the window and you think just because the dot is on the target you will hit it, which doesn't work out so well when you try it. I suggest take the money you are going to spend on the laser and spend it on training ammo.

7. Pro-One

Pro-One Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    You guys are right about lasers and fundamentals out the window. I spoke to Todd Jarrett(CT Spokesman and Pro Shooter) two years ago in Las Vegas(Shot Show) about the same thing, he changed my opinion greatly regarding my distaste for lasers. Listening to him with an open mind and in certain scenarios made perfect sense. I agree on a range gun and/or plinker that the lasers are useless and can be detrimental trying to follow the dot but hear me out on a few valid points that Todd emphasized. 1.- In a self defense scenario at close range with elevated stress, it is rare that you would have time to obtain line of sight as practiced at range(yes I know many do practice point shooting as I do), but laser does enhance target acquisition in that Scenario. You are not aiming for X-ring(like at the range) but rather body mass. 2.- When shooting from cover, you can have majority of your body protected with minimum exposure to threat and with laser on target pull the trigger, Todd explained it better but you get the picture. 3.- If strong side becomes disabled, you have a far greater possibility of being on target with weak side with dot positioned on target than trying to utilize sights. 4.- When point shooting or when firearm is drawn from holster,rotated and fired(everyone seems to train differently)- the laser can prove to be a valuable tool to get on target. 5.- While in motion/running it is much easier to put dot on threat/target than acquiring sight picture with sights. 6.- Great training aid in self defense scenario with novice shooters(Wife/Girlfriend/etc.). I know when I trained my Wife(No Pun Intended), She being a novice shooter became confident quicker with laser as compared to sight acquisition(Her gun is a Ruger LCR w/CT). 7.- Can also prove to be a deterrent once red dot is placed on threat(we all know if you pull gun you should already have mindset to use deadly force), but if threat retreats even better. There were a few more scenarios that Todd explained, but I think you get the jest of his position. My intentions with such a long winded post was purely to share some valuable info from a professional like Mr. Jarrett whom I respect. I know there are a lot of naysayers, but IMHO on a dedicated self-defense pistol this may be the exception. I have a CT on one of my daily carry's, when I'm at a range I deactivate laser and utilize sights but when I leave range I activate accordingly. Again hope this was informative and do what you feel is best for you. Best Regards - Pro-One:thumb:

8. Pro-One

Pro-One Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    A few photos of my daily carry with CT Mark's Guns 048-1.jpg Mark's Guns 049-1.jpg Mark's Guns 050-1-2.jpg

9. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Guys... Thanks for all the input.....

I feel you guys are right on saying the laser will want to make you chase the dot. However, I see Pro-one's point with Home defense and
    heck anything that will get the wife shooting more is a great investment.
    I think I'll pass on the Laser Guide Rod and get a CT. for the wife and see how she ( I/WE) like it ..

Thanks again guys..

PS great picks Pro-One !~!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  10. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    There's one additional benefit that Pro-One didn't mention:

When used in the pure dry-fire practice context, lasers don't lie.

If you haven't had a chance to try a SIRT gun, give it a shot. I know, I know, there's no 1911-SIRT, yet, but it's a nifty piece, nonetheless.

My main HD pistol has a laser/light combo on it.

I don't routinely train with the laser.

My "zero" on the laser isn't a true zero, since I take the laser/light combo on and off my pistol so often. But I know that at my HD distances, it's close enough for an "A-Zone" hit, and for me, in this specific context, it's more than good enough.

For me, the use of the laser is precisely in terms of the various reasons that Pro-One recounted above. For me, the laser is a very, very specific tool (as much as my sights, a .100 front FO with a blank rear is set up so that it maximizes my performance under good lighting conditions), it's mainly an aid for when I can't get to the sights or otherwise see the sights, and it increases my confidence in point-shooting.

That said, as things stand now, I will not use an aftermarket guide-rod based laser. Although I think that the integration is wonderful, the specter of possible catastrophic malfunction (meaning that the weapon is rendered inoperable in a time of need) is too great, versus the "no-risk" scenario of either underslung, rear-sight, or side-of-frame aftermarket units.

11. Tremors

Tremors New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks for the information. I believe I will just save my money and buy more ammo.

12. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    The green lasers are great in daylight. But damned expensive. Buy ammo instead.

13. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    My CT grip laser on an old 45 perform my intended function perfectly. That is shooting armadillos in the yard after dark!

Bob

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted