close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Cleaning Kits

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by jst1tym, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    A thread on another forum had a pretty interesting thread with a topic I don't read about all that much. I see many threads on lubricating, not so much cleaning kits. I just ordered a Dewey pistol cleaning rod a a few other accessories that go along with it. I've heard the name a few times but never used their supplies, so I'll give it a try. Other than that, I mainly use this small kit that isn't expensive and has so far most everything I needed for my revolvers and pistols. Of course, my solvents, oils, and greases aren't pictured but this is my cleaning kit. I think it was like $44 or something like that. I added the handle making it easier to carry, thats about it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    I thought it was a portable BBQ grill :rofl2:

claire

3. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    holy balls batman...$44 for a cleaning kit...w t f

4. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I have two Dewey rods for rifles and they are great. My kit is a hodge podge of bits and pieces from several kits with all sorts of odd little items for getting into hard to reach areas. Gun shows are a great place to pick up small items. One thing that has been a great time saver for shotguns is bronze wool wrapped around a brush, ya know like Chore Boy for a pistol BBl.

5. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I have Dewey coated rods for my .22 and .30 cal rifles and my shotgun, which I like a lot. I have a Hoppe's Elite .17 cal rod for my CZ. I picked it up because it was on sale really cheap, and I'm not very impressed by it. I use an Outers pistol rod for 9mm and up, which has served me well for the last 4 years or so. I use a Kleenbore kit for my .22 rimfire pistols.

For cleaning, I use MPro7's gun cleaner and copper remover, and I've started using a foaming cleaner called WipeOut on the rifles that has impressed me. Southerbloomer makes a pretty good patch, but I can't get their .30 cal patch to fit down the barrel of any of my .30 cal rifles. Instead, I use them in my pistols and cut them down for use in my .22 rimfire and centerfire guns. I use Montana Extreme .30 cal patches in my .30 cal rifles. For lubrication, I use MPro7 gun oil and a synthetic brake pin grease.

I prefer brass spear point jags and phosphor bronze brushes. Brand isn't a big deal. I just buy whatever is cheap with the correct threads and decent reviews.

6. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    for some reason the pics didn't load for me the first time, that's quite some setup there...

7. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    I paid more than that today just on 1 Dewey bore rod and a couple of tip accessories...I haven't bought cleaning supplies for some time, I don't know if it's expensive or not these days. Sorry about the photos, Zenfolio my host is starting to have some problems.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Boy,I feel like a schmuck.

I keep all of my rods,and tips with patches in a dry-box.

All of the chem cleaners are in the kitchen near a water source in case of fire.With an extinguisher handy for good measure.

I feel like a piker.

That's a damn nice kit!

DAT85

9. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Didn't see a pic either buddy! That is gorgeous! Man, you are set now! Yeeeee haw!

10. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    This kit was the only one Cabelas had that offered a box other than those zipper pouches, and they were to small. They had one like a tackle box but is was way to many $$'s. These days on disability I can't afford $@!*&

11. Kappy

Kappy New Member

Oct 8, 2011
    My cleaning kit:

0076190336309_500X500.jpg

I added a few patches. I also carry a boresnake and a bottle of Rem Oil. That's for when I don't to carry around my whole cleaning kit, which includes... a bottle of Windex (for neutralizing the corrosion in military spam), a selection of screwdrivers, a brass dowel and hammer (for knocking out squibs), rags, bottles of brake cleaner, Breakfree, a couple bottles of solvent (Shooters Choice and Hoppes), and... it goes on from there. I carry it in what my wife calls my "magic murder bag."

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted