1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What No Delete Button?
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A thread on another forum had a pretty interesting thread with a topic I don't read about all that much. I see many threads on lubricating, not so much cleaning kits. I just ordered a Dewey pistol cleaning rod a a few other accessories that go along with it. I've heard the name a few times but never used their supplies, so I'll give it a try. Other than that, I mainly use this small kit that isn't expensive and has so far most everything I needed for my revolvers and pistols. Of course, my solvents, oils, and greases aren't pictured but this is my cleaning kit. I think it was like $44 or something like that. I added the handle making it easier to carry, thats about it!

·
Banned
450 Posts
holy balls batman...$44 for a cleaning kit...w t f

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I have two Dewey rods for rifles and they are great. My kit is a hodge podge of bits and pieces from several kits with all sorts of odd little items for getting into hard to reach areas. Gun shows are a great place to pick up small items. One thing that has been a great time saver for shotguns is bronze wool wrapped around a brush, ya know like Chore Boy for a pistol BBl.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have Dewey coated rods for my .22 and .30 cal rifles and my shotgun, which I like a lot. I have a Hoppe's Elite .17 cal rod for my CZ. I picked it up because it was on sale really cheap, and I'm not very impressed by it. I use an Outers pistol rod for 9mm and up, which has served me well for the last 4 years or so. I use a Kleenbore kit for my .22 rimfire pistols.

For cleaning, I use MPro7's gun cleaner and copper remover, and I've started using a foaming cleaner called WipeOut on the rifles that has impressed me. Southerbloomer makes a pretty good patch, but I can't get their .30 cal patch to fit down the barrel of any of my .30 cal rifles. Instead, I use them in my pistols and cut them down for use in my .22 rimfire and centerfire guns. I use Montana Extreme .30 cal patches in my .30 cal rifles. For lubrication, I use MPro7 gun oil and a synthetic brake pin grease.

I prefer brass spear point jags and phosphor bronze brushes. Brand isn't a big deal. I just buy whatever is cheap with the correct threads and decent reviews.

·
Banned
450 Posts
for some reason the pics didn't load for me the first time, that's quite some setup there...

·
What No Delete Button?
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
holy balls batman...$44 for a cleaning kit...w t f
I paid more than that today just on 1 Dewey bore rod and a couple of tip accessories...I haven't bought cleaning supplies for some time, I don't know if it's expensive or not these days. Sorry about the photos, Zenfolio my host is starting to have some problems.

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
Boy,I feel like a schmuck.

I keep all of my rods,and tips with patches in a dry-box.

All of the chem cleaners are in the kitchen near a water source in case of fire.With an extinguisher handy for good measure.

I feel like a piker.

That's a damn nice kit!

DAT85

·
What No Delete Button?
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This kit was the only one Cabelas had that offered a box other than those zipper pouches, and they were to small. They had one like a tackle box but is was way to many $$'s. These days on disability I can't afford [email protected]!*&

·
Registered
7 Posts
My cleaning kit:

0076190336309_500X500.jpg

I added a few patches. I also carry a boresnake and a bottle of Rem Oil. That's for when I don't to carry around my whole cleaning kit, which includes... a bottle of Windex (for neutralizing the corrosion in military spam), a selection of screwdrivers, a brass dowel and hammer (for knocking out squibs), rags, bottles of brake cleaner, Breakfree, a couple bottles of solvent (Shooters Choice and Hoppes), and... it goes on from there. I carry it in what my wife calls my "magic murder bag."

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts