Gun Owners of America Comes to Kyle Rittenhouse’s Defense

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Slapshot, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I'm old school and an NRA member. My oldest son in a GOA guy. Based on this headline and nothing but crickets from the NRA I will be joining GOA today. Support is a 2 way street.

SVG, Dub, OP1CHIEF and 30 others like this.
  2. eharri3

eharri3 Active Member

Aug 21, 2019
    My understanding is GOA is way more hardcore than NRA and the left is not really accomplishing what they tell themselves they must be accomplishing if they destroy NRA and create a vacuum in the gun enthusiast community for GOA to fill.

Ron Hensley, OldCuz, ButchA and 5 others like this.

3. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    GOA Life member, here. They try harder.

SVG, Ron Hensley, OP1CHIEF and 18 others like this.
  4. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I need to join GOA too.

I was afraid young Kyle was going to get thrown under the bus for defending himself. In my opinion if more “conservatives” were standing to these BLM and antifa thugs, they may start thinking twice before they loot and burn these cities. Again in my opinion, as soon as the rioters laid a hand on young Kyle, he was totally justified in defending himself.

1L26, Dub, Roehl and 14 others like this.
  5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I joined GOA because they get way more done at both the national level and state level. I frequently see GOA fighting unconstitutional legislation in my state.

The fact that they have the courage to step in and fight for Kyle is outstanding! We desperately need an organization like GOA to fight the legal and political battles so that Patriots like you and I can do what we need to do.

Dub, Roehl, OneEyedTanker and 10 others like this.
  6. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    My advice to that young man would have been to stay home. I have a 17 year old son and I certainly would not want him traveling to another state with rioting and AR-15 in his possession. I don't know what his family situation is but I'm sure he's sitting in a cell feeling very alone and scared. I know I would be if I was in his position. Just knowing that an organization like GOA is on your side and looking out for you has to bring some small amount of comfort. Kudos to GOA!

Dub, 5pt56, OneEyedTanker and 19 others like this.
  7. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I joined GOA for the simple reason I fell the NRA is getting out of touch with reality and GOA seems to be focused on the right things.

8. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    That’s awesome!

colrhino and boatdoc like this.
  9. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    I’m trying to resist commenting on this but....

Im all about the 2nd amendment, our right to protect ourselves, I carry a gun every day. It’s good the GOA is in the fight, but....

When I see a black guy getting shot by a cop after he has attacked the cop and/or resisted arrest my thought always is “you won’t get your a$$ shot if you would only comply”. Simple solution to a big problem.

So when I see Kyle, a 17 yo, walk into a heated, tense situation I think “he may be legal to be there, but not the best decision”. Bottom line is if he would have used common sense and not carried an AR into a riot, he wouldn’t be sitting in a jail cell right now.

Flame me all you want, but it goes both ways. Kyle’s actions could cause more problems for gun owners then any pro-gun organization can help. We need GOA and NRA and more, but we also need gun owners to use COMMON SENSE.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  10. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I don’t see an application on the website for Life Membership.
    How did you accomplish becoming a life member of GOA?

11. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Left hand side - MEMBERSHIP LEVELS

Dub likes this.
  12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Just joined, and donated.

YankeeDave, Ron Hensley, Dub and 7 others like this.
  13. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Here is the link Capt.

https://gunowners.org/life-membership/

Dub, Capthobo, ButchA and 2 others like this.
  14. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    2BABD558-01D8-461F-8048-0E9B4EB34A72.jpeg
    Coffee cup bought here :
    D9BAB5CD-1837-46CB-BE95-D0DAF5A293E2.jpeg Taller than the Washington Monument, naturally... it's Texas!)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    1L26, Dub, OP1CHIEF and 14 others like this.
  15. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    I been a member of the NRA for a long time, And will continue. I also joined GOA and Pa's firearms owners against crime. I get more notices from them about what they are doing. And what new laws are in process. Than i ever have received from the NRA. The NRA needs to clean out the deadbeats in their organization.

16. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    This is what's on the bottom of the email receipt I got back from GOA. I really appreciate that approach.

*GOA operates on an annual renewal cycle. All donations of $20.00 or more include full membership benefits for the year. Amounts contributed for dues are at the members' discretion each year.
    Thank you for your support,
    Gun Owners of America

17. Crewchief

Crewchief Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2017
    I'm an NRA life member. At this point, doing the life membership with the NRA is one of the biggest regrets in my life. The NRA keeps calling trying to vacuum my pockets for even more cash, and I keep telling them: "You want more money? Then tell the entire top level of the NRA to resign."

They've been utterly absent (or even squishy) on a lot of important legislation over the last several years. And don't even get me started on what they did to their state-level situation in Illinois back in 2015-2016.

I've been doing annual memberships with 2FA and GOA. I've been tempted to take the plunge and do a life membership with the GOA, but once bitten, twice shy.

CC

5pt56, ILED93, OneEyedTanker and 2 others like this.
  18. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    I didn't intend for this thread to be used to bash the NRA but to praise the work that GOA has done. I haven't paid a lot of attention to them previously but I have noticed that a lot of the young guns lean toward GOA. When I saw the headline that they came out to back that young man they earned my respect so I joined and made this post.

The NRA has done a lot of good things for gun owners and it does no good to put them down.

19. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Just joined GOA, and donated.

Ron Hensley, Dub, slingerbelt and 7 others like this.
  20. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    FWIW anecdotal datum: I'm definitely on the younger side for this forum and I'm GOA. So are the guys my age I shoot with and am friends with. Grew up with NRA and dad's been a life member since the '70s.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted