Gun Safe for my stash.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by army_inc, Jan 5, 2012.

1. army_inc

army_inc New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Hey Guys,
    SO I have a question for you guys. I'm looking to buy a new gun safe that is big enough for my 5 long rifles (more as life goes on, but probably no more than 10), my pistols (same as rifles) as well as a decent sized WWII Collection and a few other valuables that need to be locked up when we leave for long periods of time. I was told Lowe's had some decent ones, but I'm just seeing what else is out there for a good price, but still a good safe at the same time. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Tape

Tape Banned

Dec 6, 2011
    just an info-you;
    buy one bigger then you think you will need, I wish someone gave me that advise. I have a 21cf centurion and it's full to the rim, remember for all the weapons you have you need to stock ammo and my ammo is half my safe.

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    A gun safe that holds 21 guns or so should do you as long as you are honest with yourself. Guns have a way of multipling faster than you think.

4. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Check SAMS and Costco

5. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Check out the Liberty Fat Boy with the door organizer that has spots for pistols. It should be perfect for you!

6. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I have three safes now, not huge ones, ones that I can move with a dolley and some help if I ever move again. Those really large ones I won't buy until I am firmly planted in a house for many many years. My first advice, check everywhere. I missed out on some deals at stores I didn't think carried them. Tractor Supply is one store I never thought to look at, Lowes puts them on sale and has excellent prices when it does. And as said before, buy bigger. Just because it says it holds ten guns, doesn't mean it will hold ten scoped hunting rifles and such. Once the scopes are on there, they take up a lot more room, you have to angle them in there. Your best bet is to find one that will store the rifles down one side, and shelving on the other. I have a friend who is a full time fire fighter and she says in her experience, the fire proof ones don't amount to much when a house actually burns down, so I wouldn't go spending a bunch of money on that either.

7. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Food for thought: The safes with the external locks/tumblers/cranks may be disadvantageous. A bad guy, not undestanding how they work will invariably take something heavy and attempt to break the lock/tumbler/crank off the door to gain access. This is a bad idea for the thief, as the safe cannot be accessed in this manner. However, it is also a bad idea for the safe owner, as the thief can to considerable damage to the tumblers, resulting in a large repair expense. A safe with recessed key entry avoids this issue.

Of course, a safe with recessed key entry has disadvantages as well. Keys can be lost or stolen if not cared for and hidden properly.

We have a Baer Safe with recessed key locks. It weighs over 800 lbs and is bolted to the slab foundation in the house. It will take a determined and competent theif considerable time to get into it or take it away. No system is completely fail safe, however. A thief with expertise and equipment can win if given ample opportunity.

We trudge on.

8. army_inc

army_inc New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I hear ya on that one. I have a small gun cabinet that my father gave me when my son was born. It only holds 11 long guns and has a top shelf for anything else. It's full with ammo, rifles, pistols, and a limited few other valuable as well as a hanging remington dehumidifier. I have no more room in there for anything now... I agree that bigger than I need in this case is better.

As much as I would love for guns to multiply faster than I think, my wife would make sure the disappear just as fast as they multiply. Luckily, she knows that I love guns and every now and then surprises me with a "hey honey, you know that gun you want, go buy it."

I was looking at that one and it looks great. I'd like to see it in person just so I can get an idea of how big it actually is you know? I saw a centurion this week at lowes and it's a nice safe, just not big enough for what I need it for. There may be no choice but to get the Fat Boy. I do like how much it has space though and the door organizer would work well for me.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'll look around the gun show tomorrow and see what's there, and let you know how it goes.

9. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011
    A Fatboy for 5 long guns?? I have a Fatboy Jr. with 10 long guns, over 20 pistols and several boxes and a good bit of ammo in it and still have plenty of room to grow.

10. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    Just build ya a Vault ...like a bank style it is pretty cheap and easy to build

11. army_inc

army_inc New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I looked at a fatboy Jr. and that would be a better one. I'll have 10 long guns, 10 or so pistols, a WWII Collection, Coin Collection, Other valuables that would also stay in there, plus a crap ton of ammo. I should still have room, I was just saying that would be something roughly the size of what I would need.

12. Floridamark

Floridamark New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I use a Fort Knox 66/37 with upgrades and love it. Built like a tank 2900lbs

13. army_inc

army_inc New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Not sure if my floor can handle 3000 lbs. I'm thinking I may just have to go with a Centurion that holds up to 22 long guns. A Fat boy Jr would be HUGE in my closet and would take up a lot of room... It may just be too big. I will have to do the measurements on the 22 long gun Centurion. The gun show was a bust on gun safes which was disappointing. I like the look of the Remington R1 which I hadn't seen because of my deployment. A lot of nice guns have come out since I've been gone.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted