Gun shops you miss

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doc45, Jul 21, 2020.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    Western Auto and Sears and Roebuck were all that I had when I was growing up. I was able to buy .22's and shot shells at the Western Auto as a kid. I would scrounge soda bottles for the deposit refund to get the money for the ammo. I didn't know what a dedicated gun store was until I was older.

LEO918 likes this.
  2. LEO918

LEO918 Death Valley, Arizona.

Jun 7, 2020
    Yes Sir. I knew Marty Mandell personally and did some Colt Single Action trading with him. You could sometimes hear shooting going on in the basement while there.

3. Nstoolman1

Nstoolman1 Member

Jul 18, 2019
    I remember a Stanley's in Costa Mesa, Ca years ago. I got the best Hornady .224 prices from him per 1000.

4. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Stovall’s Guns in rural Marion County Kansas.
    Owned and operated by Carl and Juanita Stovall, the store was located at their farm. At one time he specialized in Thompson Center Contenders and Contender barrels. I bought my first AR, a 16” Clinton ban compliant Bushmaster, a Mossberg 590A1 and a couple of revolvers. He also carried reloading supplies.

He retired and sold the inventory to a shop in town back in 2002 or so (which went out of business a couple of years later).

5. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Bob’s Gun Exchange in Goshen, N.Y.

The memory that sticks out the most...

My father just had recently took back a Winchester 1300 12ga from me because he needed some cash at the time. I went looking for a replacement.

His shop was great, as all of the used long guns were on a shelf standing up around the whole perimeter of the business. As I was looking for a nice shotgun I found the one that he took back from me. Priced at $150.00, but it just so happened that there was a Browning BPS 20ga. 3 slots down from my old one and in much better condition not that my former firearm was in bad shape. This one was just like new and for $300.00. I couldn’t passit it up. Great gun, still have it today for more than 30 years.

there is only 1 gun shop in the area that compares, Collector Rifle and Ammo in Hopewell Junction, NY, just not the same...

...Ron

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted