Gun storage needed.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Adam13, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Adam13

Adam13 Active Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Running out of room for guns and ammo. It’s freaking everywhere.

While I have a few smallish safes.. they are full to the brim. I have always been hesitant to buy a large safe as they never really hold the amount of guns they advertise. They seem to be great for security but not so much for actual storage.

Ran across this brand of “safes.”

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/

They are different from the heavy floor safe, in that they aren’t as deep and actually can store the amount of guns they claim. ( so they say). They may lack some security but make up for it in organization. My main goal with a safe is to keep away from little hands.

Anyone else have experience with this brand?

Or have a good suggestion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonFrank and Rizzo like this.
  2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Most gun safes really aren't very secure. I have no doubt that anyone with some time could cut mine open with the tools in my garage. Dog and nosey retired neighbors on both sides are what really keeps my guns safe. That and the safe is full so guns are stashed all over the place. They'd never find em all. Hell I've started keeping some at work. Unless you're going built in vault. Hidden is more important than stashed in a traditional "gun safe." I've heard of people getting deals on used commercial safes that actually provide serious security, I've never seen one for cheap though.

1911 dawg, Rizzo, KS95B40 and 3 others like this.

3. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Ever looked into using a job box?

I picked up a safe off craigslist — was from a CVS drugstore that was being demolished — guy had it listed for awhile — when I made contact he was blunt, don’t show up with a volkswagen

I went, truck and trailer, got there he was relieved — said he had tons of interest but everyone wanted him to deliver it free — couldn’t fit it in their car

Thing weighs like 1500 pounds, its a little short, not the answer for everything — and I did my own interior but I stole it — scrapyards didn’t want it due to the fireproofing, too heavy for most — I paid $150 — think he was asking $400

Point is, type “safe” in your local craigslist — maybe you’ll find something useable

4. Adam13

Adam13 Active Member

Jun 27, 2020
    That’s kind of what I have been thinking.
    Huge heavy safes are not really that secure. At least not from a determined thief. And maybe too secure for children. So maybe more of a gun cabinet that is steel. And hence the Secure-it brand.

I do have some hidden. But can’t do too much if that. Don’t want the kids to get hands on one. I have a closet with a bunch of long guns and I just took out the bolts and locked in a small safe.

Then I’ll need to figure out the ammo portion. Maybe a garage cabinet with lock.

FWoo45 likes this.
  5. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    Your thinking isn't terrible and a reasonably secure lock box certainly beats nothing at all. I bought a Secure-It panel package off of Amazon to retrofit a safe, and was not terribly impressed. The two biggest issues that I have with it are that the back panels have a lot of flex under load, and AR style weapons on the shelf require a deceptively large stand-off from the back wall in order to have enough lean to stay in place.

If you catch a picture of the cabinet at the right angle, or watch one of the You-tube videos of somebody installing it, you will see what I mean. In the end, it didn't do me any favors in terms of cramming more into my safe. I have thought about mounting it to a piece of ply and improvising some sort of portable rack out of it. Perhaps it performs better when integrated into their cabinet back-wall by design.

Good on you for securing your guns from curious little fingers. I have never been particularly worried about my children, as they have respect, understanding, and good discipline. But you never know about the other people's kids that inevitably end up running around all over your house.

FWoo45 likes this.
  6. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Haven’t looked recently but YouTube had some very informative videos on gun safes. Bottom line generally speaking was the old adage of, “you get what ya pay for”. And I have the age old problem of champagne tastes and a beer budget wallet.

IF the objective is just to keep kids or an occasional nosy visitor out, some relatively economical solutions exist. Even a spare closet with the doorknob replaced by a keyed deadbolt lock will handle younger kids or grandkids. Used office furniture stores occasionally have four or five drawer ‘Steelcase’ locking file cabinets which can handle some pistols and/or ammo.

Everybody is always crazy about saying you can’t defeat a determined thief given tools & time. That really & truly goes without saying - so there’s very little value in that comment being repeated over & over again. The objective of even the best safe(s) is just to “harden the target”. That is, provide “difficult enough” security, the thief(s) are encouraged to move along to an easier target, preferably somewhere else. And generally, to increase the time and trouble a serious “professional thief” is going to face...it’s going to cost some pretty serious money in safe quality.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    FWoo45, Adam13 and Rizzo like this.
  7. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    If things keep going the way they are you're going to need most of the guns and all of the ammo. Once that starts, a hiding spot won't be needed.

8. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    :rolleyes: jobbox.jpg
    I use one like this for ammo storage. A rubber gasket around the top rim and it is pretty well water proof. I store all the ammo inside in the green water proof military ammo boxes. It takes up some space in the garage. SWMBO uses the horizontal surface as a storage shelf:rolleyes: Got it from Rural King on clearance for less than $75. Gonna take a forklift to move it. Some pretty decent locks on it. Keeps honest people honest.

2tone, FWoo45, Adam13 and 6 others like this.
  9. Rizzo

Rizzo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2019
    :pics:

10. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Been thinking about something like this myself. I can get one to fit in my closet, and most my guns are handguns, stored in their boxes. The safe I have is way too big so I am trading it for more handguns:)

gps man likes this.
  11. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  12. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Sorry — one thing I wont do is take pictures of my safe, its location, and the contents and put them on the internet

Rizzo and Adam13 like this.
  13. Adam13

Adam13 Active Member

Jun 27, 2020
    I agree about a “harden target.” The way I always put it... security buys you time.

14. Rizzo

Rizzo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2019
    Yes Sir, I understand...

15. kevinlittell

kevinlittell Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2020
    The other theory is scatter and hide...Above eye level for the active ones And nooks and crannies for the inactive ones. I've never met a real safe that couldn't be defeated in 30 mins and I doubt the intelligence of a smash and grabber.

Sheet rock saw is your friend.

If I was gonna spend money to put them all in a steel box It would be a job box with a dehumidifier and a good camera pointed at it from a peep hole drilled thu the ceiling.....NOT INTERNET CONNECTED!

16. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    I repurposed a non functioning stand up freezer, removed all the guts, sealed any and all areas that looked like they needed it. I kept ammo in it for a long time, now it's full of rifles, ran 2 stringers down the sides from front to back on the inside, can't remember where I bought them but got some of the scalloped barrel supports and screwed those to the stringers. Couple of hasps on the door, a good master lock and it's doing the keep it out of kids hands, sealed good enough the bead dehumidifiers work fine for the interior.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted