Gun store with 0% 12mo financing?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by BamaBulldawg, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BamaBulldawg

BamaBulldawg New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I have seen more and more dealers offering this and recently my home LGS has advertised it. I like the concept I guess but I know there has to be a downside I'm not seeing. Do any of y'all use this option when it's offered?

Buy a $3000 high end gun and pay $250/mo seems kind of attractive.

2. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I think it's a great incentive. I'm glad my LGS doesn't do it though. I'm afraid I would get in over my head. lol

3. BamaBulldawg

BamaBulldawg New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Haha, that's in the back of my head, no self control in terms of impulse gun store purchases.

4. rahrah12

rahrah12 Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Credit cards often offer this...They are banking on people being irresponsible and not paying it off by the 1 year mark...If you don't they will charge interest back to when the purchase was made.

5. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    ^^^^^^ This!!!

6. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Ditto. I haven't bought a gun with a credit card in years. You get screwed by credit card companies in sooo many ways. For the guys out there, who wants that once in a lifetime gun, a place like Gunslingers is a great option. It allows guys who couldn't afford to ever shell out the kind of scratch all at once, to get the gun of their dreams. Or even two or three of them over a few years. But, I am totally against using credit cards for just about anything. Save up some cash and buy it with cash. Either you "craving" for the gun will have gone away, or you will have changed your mind on what you want instead, or you will have saved up and bought the gun of your dreams. Just my opinion, but then again, that's really the only opinion that matters...to me. :grin:

7. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    IF you have the DISCIPLINE and the MEANS to pay for it these options are fantastic. It's free money! However, as mentioned, it can bite you in the ass if you screw up and miss one payment as well as not paying off within the specified time frame.

8. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    If I can't pay cash for my toys I don't need them. From a $30 folder to a wakeboard boat.

"to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid"

9. Cigarhead

Cigarhead Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Or you could bank on being an adult and using it properly

It's about the people, not the money. Some people woudl be carrying Taurus 1911's if they went by what they could pay up front. Nothing wrong with interest free if you are serious about it.

I can make you a list of stuff in my home and many firearms I did the same thing with and I don't owe a dime on any of it.

Credit cards and some people don't mix. It's different for everyone. No will power? Don't mess with it. Just save up doing the same thing your planning on paying. Responsible adult? Why not?

10. bdavis385

bdavis385 New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Money is never free and to think so shows a real lack of understanding of it. You, at least lose the ability to negotiate the price; that may be worth it to you, but just understand it is NOT free.

11. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Money is always fee when you're as pretty as me.

12. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Sorry, but I don't over analyze everything in life. Let me explain it to you in the way that simpletons like me understand it.

Prices CAN be negotiated on an item like this. I did it myself with furniture under these same terms and paid it off in the specified time frame with no interest and no penalties for late payments. By the time the furniture was paid in full at the negotiated price, the cost of the SAME furniture was significantly higher than it was when I bought it a year prior. If I had taken the full amount of money out of my savings account (an interest bearing account) and paid it off then, I would have been losing the interest on that money and would not even come close to getting that interest back due to lower rates at the time.

Let's also factor in rising costs of guns. Some manufacturers are raising their prices significantly. Purchasing that gun today with no interest payments will most certainly be easier on the wallet than it will be in 12 months.

13. longslide

longslide New Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I have bought plenty of guns on layaway.

We have a house note and nothing else.

One of the many good things about guns is what Archie Bunker said about beer - you don't really buy beer, you just rent it.

I don't put current production guns on layaway, but, if I see a unique piece on sale from First Stop Guns, Collectors Firearms or Cabela's, I may buy it on layaway.

14. Eric

Eric Cav Troopers Dad

Sep 10, 2011
    I'm one of those people who will use the 0% if offered, I've purchased Televisions, Appliances, Automobiles among other things with 0% interest. In the grand scheme of things if you can pay the money off prior to the end of the term you are ahead a little bit IMHO. Everything that I have purchased would have/could have been purchased anyway and probably put on my Amex to be paid at the end of the month. I guess everyone has their ideas about these things and thats what makes this a great place to live. I also dislike carrying a balance on a credit card that generates interest, it's actually kind of stupind if you think about it.

15. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO Olde Fart

Nov 7, 2011
    BINGO! :hail:

16. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    No surprise to me with how dismal sales for everything is - including Firearms, why not offer incentive. I don't care what the Xmas sales numbers suggest it's Xmas see ya' in another month. Hopefully, tax returns will spur some spending

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted