Colt Gunbroker 1911

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Roehl, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868491634

I thought this 1911 may interest some of you. Looks to be in great condition considering it’s age and it even has documentation with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  2. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Ok this 1911 is over 18k now. I don’t know squat about vintage 1911s but what makes this one 18k+?

3. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    This isn't my area of expertise but the condition and the specific manufacturer and the number they produced, likely have everything to do with it. I know during the wars the design was out sourced to several makers to meet demand, who produced the 1911 in varying quantities. It seems if you want to collect all the different makes of WWI 1911's in great condition, it is going to cost a fortune. I've seen Singer 1911's bring over six figures.

Roehl likes this.
  4. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Wow....that much!! I had no idea I thought the ceiling for vintage 1911s was a lot less unless it has some sort of provenance. Shows how much I don’t know. I am in the phase of looking at old vintage 1911s in order to get a feel of what they should be selling for so I know if what I am paying is fair or not. So much to learn!! Appreciate it

AJP likes this.
  5. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    North American Arms was one of eight manufacturers (including Winchester) awarded contracts to manufacture the 1911 during WWI. None of the contractors delivered a pistol before the war ended, and the contracts were cancelled. North American Arms assembled approximately 100 pistols after the contract was cancelled, but none were delivered to the U.S. military.

Mickey D and AJP like this.
  6. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    The Ace they are selling would be my pick, not that I could afford any of the others they have up. Right now if Battleships were selling for 10 cents each I could only wave as they sailed by LOL,,,but I love those Service Model Ace guns

Roehl and Mainspring like this.
  7. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    That's the prettiest North American I have ever seen (of very few). Most are pretty badly scuffed up or flaked.
    Hey, they've got a Singer, too.

8. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    I'm curious to see how high that Singer goes. Refinished and non original barrel but my goodness it looks nice.

9. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    It’s nice for sure. That’s what originally caught my eye and I was just surprised when it jumped in price fairly quickly. It’s up to 24k now. Which is mind boggling for me because that’s darn near close to my dream gun, a HK PSG-1. It’s very nice for a WW1 gun but I know very very little about these guns. I have a 1911 book that still needs to be read. Have to get on that :)

10. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    “We have been following discussions of this pistol with noted collectors and have been pointed to photos of documented examples. There are some variations in the markings of most examples. Our research used Clawson's book a a major resource and the markings match those photographed in Clawson's book well. This pistol has been sold previously as original, but we now have our doubts. We encourage every bidder to look over the photos provided as well as compare to other known examples. On guns with production runs this small, verification is always difficult. We are willing to take a return up to 30 days after the sale, as always.

Information above was added on 6/9/2020 5:25:05 PM”

I wonder if they added that before or after the last few bids? Pretty sure most people realize it’s not original and has been refinished. If they do and are still bidding that high it’s pretty amazing.

Capthobo likes this.
  11. SW1911302

SW1911302 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Cool gun and history but I could never imagine spending that much on a gun I wouldn't even want to shoot.

Roehl likes this.
  12. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    I didn’t notice they updated the listing. Given that bit of information that it’s not original, I am surprised that the price has gotten that high. Can you retract a bid on gunbroker when the information changes. I have never had reason to do so so I don’t know.

13. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Think I'll wait until the last 15 minutes to jump on the wagon train. Hope I don't forget about it!

Roehl likes this.
  14. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    No you can't Roehl. But you can just not pay for it and take negative feedback then respond as to why you backed out.

Roehl likes this.
  15. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    It’s no war horse. It never entered into military use. It has no Armory inspection marks.
    It’s all hype and no show.

7.62Kolectr likes this.
  16. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Just shy of $25K and climbing with 2+ days to go. Gonna have to back out on this one boys & girls... :cool::dead:

Roehl likes this.
  17. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    At least the seller will allow a return within 30 days so there's that. :cool:

7.62Kolectr likes this.
  18. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    no you can’t retract a bid. But if it’s discovered thru the course of the auction that it is not as originally represented than most often times the seller won’t hold you to the bid.

19. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Well now it’s approaching 31k....

20. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    45K closing for the North American Arms, 55K for the Singer. That's an expensive game to play

Roehl likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted