1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok this 1911 is over 18k now. I don’t know squat about vintage 1911s but what makes this one 18k+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
This isn't my area of expertise but the condition and the specific manufacturer and the number they produced, likely have everything to do with it. I know during the wars the design was out sourced to several makers to meet demand, who produced the 1911 in varying quantities. It seems if you want to collect all the different makes of WWI 1911's in great condition, it is going to cost a fortune. I've seen Singer 1911's bring over six figures.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't my area of expertise but the condition and the specific manufacturer and the number they produced, likely have everything to do with it. I know during the wars the design was out sourced to several makers to meet demand, who produced the 1911 in varying quantities. It seems if you want to collect all the different makes of WWI 1911's in great condition, it is going to cost a fortune. I've seen Singer 1911's bring over six figures.
Wow....that much!! I had no idea I thought the ceiling for vintage 1911s was a lot less unless it has some sort of provenance. Shows how much I don’t know. I am in the phase of looking at old vintage 1911s in order to get a feel of what they should be selling for so I know if what I am paying is fair or not. So much to learn!! Appreciate it

·
Registered
319 Posts
North American Arms was one of eight manufacturers (including Winchester) awarded contracts to manufacture the 1911 during WWI. None of the contractors delivered a pistol before the war ended, and the contracts were cancelled. North American Arms assembled approximately 100 pistols after the contract was cancelled, but none were delivered to the U.S. military.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The Ace they are selling would be my pick, not that I could afford any of the others they have up. Right now if Battleships were selling for 10 cents each I could only wave as they sailed by LOL,,,but I love those Service Model Ace guns

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That's the prettiest North American I have ever seen (of very few). Most are pretty badly scuffed up or flaked.
Hey, they've got a Singer, too.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That's the prettiest North American I have ever seen (of very few). Most are pretty badly scuffed up or flaked.
I'm curious to see how high that Singer goes. Refinished and non original barrel but my goodness it looks nice.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s nice for sure. That’s what originally caught my eye and I was just surprised when it jumped in price fairly quickly. It’s up to 24k now. Which is mind boggling for me because that’s darn near close to my dream gun, a HK PSG-1. It’s very nice for a WW1 gun but I know very very little about these guns. I have a 1911 book that still needs to be read. Have to get on that :)

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
“We have been following discussions of this pistol with noted collectors and have been pointed to photos of documented examples. There are some variations in the markings of most examples. Our research used Clawson's book a a major resource and the markings match those photographed in Clawson's book well. This pistol has been sold previously as original, but we now have our doubts. We encourage every bidder to look over the photos provided as well as compare to other known examples. On guns with production runs this small, verification is always difficult. We are willing to take a return up to 30 days after the sale, as always.

Information above was added on 6/9/2020 5:25:05 PM”

I wonder if they added that before or after the last few bids? Pretty sure most people realize it’s not original and has been refinished. If they do and are still bidding that high it’s pretty amazing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ok this 1911 is over 18k now. I don’t know squat about vintage 1911s but what makes this one 18k+?

Cool gun and history but I could never imagine spending that much on a gun I wouldn't even want to shoot.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
“We have been following discussions of this pistol with noted collectors and have been pointed to photos of documented examples. There are some variations in the markings of most examples. Our research used Clawson's book a a major resource and the markings match those photographed in Clawson's book well. This pistol has been sold previously as original, but we now have our doubts. We encourage every bidder to look over the photos provided as well as compare to other known examples. On guns with production runs this small, verification is always difficult. We are willing to take a return up to 30 days after the sale, as always.

Information above was added on 6/9/2020 5:25:05 PM”

I wonder if they added that before or after the last few bids? Pretty sure most people realize it’s not original and has been refinished. If they do and are still bidding that high it’s pretty amazing.
I didn’t notice they updated the listing. Given that bit of information that it’s not original, I am surprised that the price has gotten that high. Can you retract a bid on gunbroker when the information changes. I have never had reason to do so so I don’t know.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Think I'll wait until the last 15 minutes to jump on the wagon train. Hope I don't forget about it!

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
No you can't Roehl. But you can just not pay for it and take negative feedback then respond as to why you backed out.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,171 Posts
It’s no war horse. It never entered into military use. It has no Armory inspection marks.
It’s all hype and no show.

Reactions: 7.62Kolectr

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,831 Posts
Just shy of $25K and climbing with 2+ days to go. Gonna have to back out on this one boys & girls... :cool::dead:

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I didn’t notice they updated the listing. Given that bit of information that it’s not original, I am surprised that the price has gotten that high. Can you retract a bid on gunbroker when the information changes. I have never had reason to do so so I don’t know.

no you can’t retract a bid. But if it’s discovered thru the course of the auction that it is not as originally represented than most often times the seller won’t hold you to the bid.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
45K closing for the North American Arms, 55K for the Singer. That's an expensive game to play

1 - 20 of 23 Posts