1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Gunbroker SCAM Ed Brown EE

Tags
scammer
3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  phortykal 
#1 ·
#6 ·
The buyer left negative feedback so he knew it was a scam. Maybe it was the “I bought it from a fellow Addict” in his description that alerted him, lol.

#11 ·
It’s pretty easy to get someone’s pictures. These threads aren’t secure but they can’t edit out something you put in to authenticate who you are. There are people out there who haven’t seen our discussions here about scams on GB and seeing many of our guns on there. They think wow it’s a great price never looking at what the person has sold or how long that account has been dormant.

#13 ·
There was an “F” feedback score, which gave him a “C” rating, right after it happened. Strange that they took it off.

#15 ·
I saw several GB scam sales for Wilson combats. They must have had their database hacked. Most of the sellers were one or two feedback accounts and no activity in many years. I reported both of them and I know they are aware. This is happening everywhere and now includes fake gun websites. Be cautious. I always ask to contact the buyer via a call. And then ask to call them back in their number. This eliminates most. The world is changing.

#18 ·
@BashersTX So I think the scam you saw on GunBroker was from my account. My account email and password was changed on 8/27 and it looks like your order was placed on 8/29. I don't have access to my account anymore. (I'm guessing from you reporting it). I don't even live in the state the gun was listed lol. I've been trying to get in contact with GunBroker but so far I haven't heard anything back :/ Did you ever get your money back?

#20 ·
jscombs91

I'm the one that called you to alert you to the scam. I messaged GB about the ad after talking to you - same scammer I busted the day before.

Not sure how he is able to hack folks passwords, but I suggest updating to a really strong one for anyone with an account - whether you use it or not.

Scammer used low, but not too low starting price along with a 24 hour auction so the ad doesn't linger & entices people to rush into the deal. He also did not respond to questions. His real mistake was listing Colt 1911's from a CA address :rolleyes:

If they are not willing to interact and provide POL photos, probably don't want to deal with them. I usually ask for a new photo with a handwritten note with a message of my choice, paper under the gun, serial number clearly visible. Doesn't always work though - had one scammer that already had a photo of the pistol with blank paper under it and he used his computer to insert my message electronically on the photo (writing was pixelated when magnified, so busted). Also can ask for any common, but odd item to be in the photo - a coffee mug with 3 pencils in it for example - be creative. Next best is to have an FFL of your choosing assist with the transfer.

I miss the old trader rating system here...

I hope GB can get your account cleared up & also hope they go to great lengths to ban the scammers from the system.

Mungle

#21 ·
I never got a call so I'm not sure who you spoke to. It might have been the scammer :oops:. I appreciate the effort though. I'm guessing the password I used was in a data breach. https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a good site to check regularly to prevent things like this from happening again. Great tips on how to combat scammers though. Gunbroker sent me a tax statement today saying I owe $125 for the sales tax transaction which is how I even discovered there was something sold on my account. Hopefully they reply back to my support requests soon so I don't have to go through the trouble of closing and reopening a new bank account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.