1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep circling back to these every 8 or 10 months. I have never found one I felt compelled to buy but the idea of the 50gi seems to appeal to me.

So anyone have one of these or any experience with one? They always seems a bit pricier to me than they should be for a niche caliber 1911?

·
1911 lover
920 Posts
I have two (see profile pic) what exactly do you want to know? Build quality is at least as good as nighthawk. Niche? Well obviously since there is only one source for brass and/or loaded ammo. Personally I don't find the recoil as sharp as an equivalent.45, and the ability to shoot the 275 and 300 grain slugs is a plus for me.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have never considered either 45 or 10mm to be particularly sharp in terms of recoil, the big slugg does appeal to me though, but is it that much different than a 45? Thanks for the feedback on the build quality. Just trying to determine if it is worth the 2-3k price of admission.

·
1911 lover
920 Posts
Well I have never considered either 45 or 10mm to be particularly sharp in terms of recoil, the big slugg does appeal to me though, but is it that much different than a 45? Thanks for the feedback on the build quality. Just trying to determine if it is worth the 2-3k price of admission.
A 230 grain at 1000-1100 fps out of a 45 super is a bit snappy to me. Trying to get to a 1000 in a 45 acp is a pretty warm load. The 50 is throwing the same weight and velocity but seems softer and a bit more controllable.

The big slugs are lots of fun and the ability to carry 7+1 is a nice change from the 5 you'd get I'd a revolver. If you are near Toledo Ohio pm me and I'll let you try mine. At the end of the day the guns themselves seem to hold value fairly well....

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,787 Posts
A 230 grain at 1000-1100 fps out of a 45 super is a bit snappy to me. Trying to get to a 1000 in a 45 acp is a pretty warm load. The 50 is throwing the same weight and velocity but seems softer and a bit more controllable.

The big slugs are lots of fun and the ability to carry 7+1 is a nice change from the 5 you'd get I'd a revolver. If you are near Toledo Ohio pm me and I'll let you try mine. At the end of the day the guns themselves seem to hold value fairly well....
I work in Toledo and live 30 miles south of there!! You ever shoot at a Towers Armory?

·
Known Agitator
3,705 Posts
I shot one with Bender. Lots of fun to shoot. I would like one, but down on my list due mainly to cost of ammo. If i recall, the one we shot at GI started it's life as a .45 ACP and was converted. If I am remembering it right, getting a .45 you already have converted might be an option.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My understanding is they can't convert a 45 to a 50. At least that is what they said 3 years ago when I checked in to it. The frame size is a hair bigger.

Ammo prices don't particularly worry me. I reload, plus I shoot Winchester 348s and Turnbull 475s in my rifles, $35 for 20 rds is cheap.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Well they can convert their 45s to 50 go but not other companies.
They can convert most* Model 1, 2, 3 guns from .45 to .50 since those frames are build to accept a proprietary wider magazine. Standard frame guns like No Name and American cannot be converted, .50 magazines will not go into the magwell.

*Some Model X guns are made as “dedicated 45” with a smaller magwell opening that takes standard 1911 magazines. I was told before that those cannot be converted. Probably due to the cost being almost as much as buying a new gun. So if you are buying a .45 thinking to convert, ask for what magazines it uses.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a used one I am looking at. It is a 50gi M1 with the 45 conversion. The owner used it as a carry weapon and it has some pretty good finish wear on it. If all goes well, I am emailed Dave @EvolutionArmory to see if he works on guncrafter. Would like to change the rear sights, get it ionbonded, and put a Stan Chen magwell on it. Possibly ball cut and french borders...Maybe even crown the barrel...though not sure if that is an option on a bull barrel like the 50 gi...

·
1911 lover
920 Posts
I work in Toledo and live 30 miles south of there!! You ever shoot at a Towers Armory?
Sorry no, I live on 18 acres of dirt and shoot in the back yard.:)
Too many idiots at public ranges

To be honest I live outside Pemberville but 99% of people don't have a clue where that's at. Toledo some know due to the Jeep..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.