Guncrafter Guncrafter Mags

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Gress, Nov 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    .50gi magazines are undoubtedly the best ones I have seen.
    Here is Ned Christiansen's take on Alex's .50gi magazines (from his post on TOF in 2004):
    "The magazine is a real piece of work. It's very significant that the body is made from heat treated stainless (you can plainly see that it's been through an inert-gas bright heat treating process) that is .006 thicker that the steel used in a .45 magazine. .006 doesn't sound like much but that's about a 25% increase. The follower is machined from Delrin and has a heat treated steel insert where it contacts the slide stop. The removable floor plate is machined from, no wait, it is machined for cryin'-out-loud from, steel, and Parkerized to match the gun. There are two small holes per side in the body to show full and when there are at least two rounds left. One of the reasons the Wilson magazines work so well is that they hold the rounds measurably higher than others (remember a couple years back when the design was improved? Guess who?). The GI mag also holds the rounds high and angled upward. The mag will not be a weak spot, that seems sure."

For those who did not see them here is a quick look:
    [​IMG]

The one on the left is .45 with .50gi one on the right:
    [​IMG]

What are Guncrafter's magazines on their .45 models? Are they compatible with standard ones? I would guess so..Would appreciate your inputs.

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Mine came with unmarked mag bodies, but they're dead ringers for Checkmate's extended-tube 8-round hybrid feedlip magazines. :smilie:

Andy

3. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Andy.....yours is a standard .45 framed No Name. The pictures and review are of the .50 GI mags which are not compatible with a standard 1911.....not even the .45 mags for the conversion barrels. The .45 mags for the conversion are NOT compatible with the standard 1911....they are a little wider and only fit the .50 GI frame. As for Guncrafter .50 GI mags (and the .45 conversion mags for .50 GI pistols), I believe they are about the most solid magazines build.....they are just about bulletproof from the mag body, to the mag spring to the follower design.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  4. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    .50gi mags are different. What I am asking is what are those used for Guncrafter No Name and Americam ,odels?

So are the mags Checkmates or Guncrafter made?

5. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    Alex has been using a different mag on the last couple of .45 pistols I have received for customers....I believe they are mags that are built to his specs. Until recently, the mags supplied with the GI .45 models have always been the Wilson ETM mags.

6. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Yup, quite so, Dave. I took it as he was asking about the ones that came on the standard .45 guns.

I don't know if Guncrafter makes the magazines (the standard .45 ones), but I doubt it. Even if the tube is made by their shop, the follower is one of Tom Vieweg's designs.

For what it's worth, when I talked to Dave at Guncrafter, he recommended Wilson's ETM mags (the ones Alex had a big part in designing). I had four of them already, and bought another five after that phone conversation. :thumb:

I like Chip McCormick's reputation for tube strength and the skirted follower design on the newer Checkmate magazines.

I have another phone call to make to Guncrafter next week about some stuff; I'll be sure to ask about the make of the magazines then. They're actually not bad at all. No malfunctions with them and the design is solid.

Andy

7. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I wish I had a few more 50GI mags...:whistling:

8. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    I am pretty sure (could be wrong, though) you will not get an answer as to who actually makes the newer mags. They are listed as a GI product and Alex keeps his vendors pretty closed to the vest. I can tell you one thing for certain.....if it is a magazine that is featured in one of Alex's guns, it has 1. been extensively tested and approved by Alex. 2. Has passed the most stringent standards test 3. Is well built and was not thrown in as an afterthought. Alex is scary knowledgeable about magazine body, spring, follower design and is very demanding about the mags that ship out with his pistols. Just look at the ETM mags....and when you look at them, think Alex Zimmerman.

9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011

I'm certain Guncrafter doesn't make them, it just wouldn't make sense.

10. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    When I ordered my No Name back in September, they offered to send two WC ETM magazines (someone already mentioned, but the owner of GI played a HUGE part in designing that magazine) or two of their GI magazines. I would venture to say they have someone build them to their specifications. I asked for the ETM magazines with my gun and they didn't seem the least bit upset at it even bragged on them a bit.

11. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    They are OEM made to our specs. We consider the WC ETM mags to be among the finest in the world. Both magazines has been tested to death by Alex. Magazines are usually never made in house by 1911 manufacture, but often assembled by them after rigid quality control and testing.

Alex has been a consultant many times in the past, for some of the big companies out there, and known as the guy who can fix problems and forsee how to avoid them.

Nothing wrong with Chip mags, but the spring and follower has to be policed more often compared to WC and ours.

12. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks, this answers my question very much and I know what my next mags will be.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted