1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am brand new to the forum, but figured this would be a good way to get started. I was looking for a thread to fit this in, but I didn't find one to fit it in.

I had the opportunity to pick up a Guncrafter Industry Model 2 in .50 GI Hard Chrome for $800. It had all of 20 rounds through it and it took me all of about 2 seconds to say yes. I am going to be sending it back for the .45 conversion barrel. But in my attempt to clean it, I have to admit I was stumped with how to get the guide rod out and allow the barrel to come out the front. I am familiar with traditional 1911s and the barrel bushing, but there is none with this model.

(All weapons were checked and cleared before the taking of photos)

I have two question,
1. Does anyone know how to take the guide rod on a GI Model 2
2. Does anyone know how to get micro scratches out of hard chrome? Apparently the previous owner had $4,300 to put on a pistol then then leave it in the bottom of a drawer.
Gi .50 2.jpg
GI .50_LI (2).jpg

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Just retract the slide and push the slide stop out.

Look for a little hole in the guide rod. You can insert a bent paperclip into it to take the pressure off the spring., then push the slide stop out.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Thanks for the fast response Zoid. I was more wondering how to take the guide rod and barrel out.
Not ever having owned a GI, I am guessing it's pretty similar to taking down any bull barrel setup.

Pull the slide, remove the recoil spring and guide rod out the rear, and the barrel will slide out the front.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Not ever having owned a GI, I am guessing it's pretty similar to taking down any bull barrel setup.

Pull the slide, remove the recoil spring and guide rod out the rear, and the barrel will slide out the front.
This.

On my Wilson Professional, I retract the slide the small distance needed, remove the slide stop, and “pull” the slide assembly forward off the frame, using my left thumb to hold against the bottom of the recoil spring and GI recoil spring guide rod with the other fingers of my left hand over the top of the slide. Once the slide has been removed from the frame, I grasp the rear of the guide rod with my right thumb and forefinger while easing the pressure from my left thumb on the recoil spring, and remove the guide rod and recoil spring from the slide and barrel.

I use that same left hand grasp to reinstall the slide assembly onto the frame when assembling the pistol.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
This is what I would do.

1. Make an L shaped tool out of a paperclip. Plastic dipped if you want to be extra careful about the finish .

2. Lock the slide back.

3. Then
Look for a little hole in the guide rod. You can insert a bent paperclip into it to...
4. Release the slide and take out the slide stop

5. With the spring compressed, the whole captured assembly should come out the back/bottom of the slide.

$800 you say

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Widget, glad you got it apart. Great buy also. And last but not least welcome!
When you load a photo, when it's done uploading there will be a flag that says full size. Click on that so us older guys with glasses can see the photo!!! LOL

Reactions: WidgetWombat
1 - 10 of 10 Posts