close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guncrafter No Name Ammo Preference?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by kshutt, Sep 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. kshutt

kshutt 1911 Load & Shoot!

Aug 22, 2011
    Guys, I'm looking hard at the Guncrafter No Name. For any of you that have experience with this pistol, do they reliably feed H&G #68 200gr LSWC profile bullets? Or, what do you feed yours if you have one? Include your favorite factory ammo, too! Thanks! :wave:

2. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    The ones I have owned and fired have fired whatever I fed them......although I have no experience with that specific load. I am still waiting to hear back from Alex on that question.

3. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    The GI NN will feed all types of ACP ammo.

4. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I've had mine for 2 weeks and 1100 rounds. I've fired 165 Corbon Powrballs, 185 PMC JHPs, 200 Speer GDHP, 230 Doubletap JHP +P,
    and American Eagle and Blazer aluminum cased 230 FMJ.
    I ran it dirtier than a Times Square hooker on New Year's Day, and it's been 100%.
    Very solid, accurate, and well fit - I'd say get a NN for sure.

5. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I would definately believe that. :thumb:

6. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    So far mine has fed anything I've put through including Hornady TAP which is the hardest to get to feed in other guns ive had.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  7. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    As a rule of thumb!
    If your gun feeds WW 230 Gr. JHP white box ammo, it'll usually feed the other types of ammo.

8. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    :thumb:
    The problem I'm having is that there don't appear to be many reloaders here on the site yet. The load in question (H&G #68 200gr L-SWC) is a very popular load with many 1911 shooters that reload. Wilson and Hackathorn tout it as the most reliable feeding bullet. Period. It's even one of Bill Wilson's signature loads. http://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP-...Barrel-500-Bulk/productinfo/A45-200-LSWC-BLK/. This is also THE load Wilson uses to test their custom pistols. (I'm sure Alex knows that!) :biggrin1:

My Wilson, however, is currently back at the factory for feeding issues with this bullet design. What I'm getting at is this: I don't want to buy a GI NN and have the same issues. I'll eventually find someone that can specifically attest one way or the other to the feeding reliability with this bullet design. In the meantime, Dave sent me some pics of the Stainless NN, and what a beauty!

9. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I reload, but I don't reload or shoot .45 :pop2:

Good luck in your search.

10. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    kshutt,
    And nothing have changed ! The 200 gr.L-SWC is still one of the best feeding bullet designs ever made. it's simple, you just have a "lemon" from the late 90's. Which can happen from time to time.
    The buttom line is, that any full custom 1911 should feed any bullet design out there.
    I used to test shoot all guns leaving WC. Often between 700 to 1.000 rds. every day. Very few rounds feel smoother in the action of all variations and sizes of the custom 1911.
    Makes sure you don't have a bad magazine in the mix. No gun works any better than the worst magazine.

11. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    Thanks, Jess. They (Wilson) currently have my pistol, 50 rounds of (my) ammo, and all 3 magazines, so they should be able to figure the issue out. What they really should do is replace the pistol. This is the 5th trip back for "warranty" issues.

12. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I hope they get everything good to go for you. That sounds like a lemon if it's been back 5 times. Keep us posted on how things turn out. Since it's a Wilson, it will have resale value, so, if you aren't completely happy with the results or just have a bad taste in your mouth on Wilson's in general, Guncrafter would be a great way to go in replacing it. You won't be disappointed in a No Name.

13. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    If everything fails, give us a shout. Should be a simple fix.

14. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    I don't see the No Name having a problem with any good factory ammo.

15. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I only have 450 rounds through the No Name so far. Another thousand or two to go.

I bought 18 different factory loads to run through it. Full review coming later this year; going to do a proper write-up.

So far the only thing it's bobbled on is WWB. Three minor malfunctions, once each with three different magazines (although those three were new CMC Power Mags). All were during the first fifty or sixty rounds. No problems since then so far.

It feeds very smoothly with everything I've tried so far. There's no hesitation when the slide returns to battery. I can't even tell it's feeding anything, really. :thumb:

Andy

16. kshutt

Aug 22, 2011
    Jess, that's really top-notch of you to even offer. It's also pretty sad that another custom manufacturer would have to provide a remedy as opposed to the original manufacturer. Only problem is that once anyone else touches the gun, the "warranty" is null and void if I remember correctly. A part of my problem/issue at this point (I will admit) is that I'm becoming a sore loser! I figure if it's been back twice for creep in the trigger, and now three times for feeding issues someone would step up and offer to exchange it for another one! Maybe that's not fair of me to think that way, but that's where I am at the moment.

17. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    kshutt,
    Well, over the years we have had several other custom guns ending up here. It's not something we usually do often, because sometimes it turns into a nightmare. As we inspect some guns, other reliability issues most likely shows up too.
    Well.let's hope your Protector gets fixed this time.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted