Guncrafter No Name, Knight's SR-15, Browning X Bolt .243, and Ruger LCP

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by ajstrider, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Well I finally made it to the shooting range with my two new sweethearts. I took along two more because I never know what is going to happen at the range, sometimes the pistol range is full of idiots, sometimes the rifle range is full of idiots, and I get stuck at the opposite one.

Disclaimer: I am no expert shot, I am more of a practical shot I guess you would say.

Rifle range
    The KAC SR-15 with my Nikon 3-9x40mm Prostaff shot freaking outstanding. I didn't even bother boresighting it because the first shot hit on the paper at 50 yards. I zeroed her a bit better at 50 and started hitting paper at 100 yards. I was shooting at 5.5" bullseye targets and had no trouble keeping them on the paper shooting from a sandbag rest about half assedly. I fired 50 rounds each of Black Hills Remanufactured 69 grain match hp and 77 grain match hp. They both stabilized and shot accurately out of the 1:7" twist barrel. I wanted to use heavier bullets so the faster twist rate was essential. I was just getting ready to start some off hand shooting and see how i faired up when some of the prementioned idiots showed up so I packed it up and moved down to the pistol range.

The Browning X Bolt .243 (my deer rifle) was still zeroed in right where I wanted her, so that was good.

Pistol Range
    Started off with the NN at 7 yards since I had not fired her yet at all, punched the center right out of the 5.5" bullseye targets. Stepped back to 15 and was still easily hitting the 5.5" target. I stepped over to where a metal plate (probably about 2 feet in diameter) sits off at like 75 yards, maybe even 100, and started ringing that thing to death! I put 250 rounds of Federal American Eagle 230 grain fmj down range with no malfunctions at all. My LCP jammed up on me twice again, annoying for a pistol that is meant to be carried. Things I deduced about my NN while shooting it, I like the Shredder grips a lot, but my VZ Operator 2 grips are a bit too rough and need to be smoothed out a bit to meet my taste. I also have trouble clicking on the thumb safety, it is not quite wide enough for my fingers I suppose. Maybe some practice will help with that. The NN shot fantastic and was very controllable, the 15 lpi checkering worked great, not nearly as aggressive as you might think. I have never shot a handgun that well before so I am quite pleased with my purchase.

I meant to take my camera along but forgot it of course so no pictures to tag along. Well now I got to figure out how to take apart this SR-15 and clean it.

2. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Sounds awesome. Glad they shot so well for you.

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Congrats AJ. I'm happy for you. Sounds like you have a great pair there. The NN must really be awesome. I'm more of a rifle guy and would like to hear how the SR-15 groups when ya get time to shoot for groups. Better shot than you admit if you are ringing steel at 75-100 yds.

4. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Nice shooting,
    Got the same drill going here....Private land though, so no idiots around. Have a 1x2' steelplate at 50 and 100 yds. Just love to hear that claaaang with 300 gr. FN from my mod.1

5. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Seems you had lotsa fun! :thumb: I like 15 lpi checkering too and do not have issues with it whatsoever. What is not working for you with NN thumb safety? Is bigger better? :smile:

6. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Congratulations on some great shooting. Knight's and a GC NN - breakfast of champions.

7. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Apparently for me in this case, the size does matter! I have problems getting enough thumb on the thumb safety to push up and engage it, not enough sticking out past the grip for me. Maybe the Shredder grips are a bit fat in that area, not sure, I will take a closer look at it tomorrow.

8. SuHu

SuHu Bang Bang

Jan 22, 2012
    Can't wait until my No Name arrives.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted