Guncrafter No Name, Part Deux and Alex Z and Dave C are GTG edition

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by newt, Oct 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. newt

newt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    So now my No Name has about 1500 rounds through it, I'm back for part 2.

Overall, the gun shoots great as many know. First off, I gotta say, Alex Zimmermann and David at DRC are awesome. They got me sorted and then some. This is NOT a bad review, if anything I'm completely impressed with the gun, Guncrafter Industries, Alex Z and DRC. You can buy guns from them with complete confidence.

I actually, though, ran into problems early on with certain ammo (Notably Speer GDHP 230, Federal HST). I would get a round into the chamber with the extractor behind the shell. This happened a lot (sometimes multiple failures per mag). Also happened with different ammo, different mags (although I started with CMCs, I also tried Wilson ETM's, Tripp Cobra, and the supplied mags).

So I contacted Dave and Alex, and they had me send the gun to Guncrafter, where Alex personally shot and went to work on figuring out my problem. We had a couple of phone conversations as well, with Alex calling me up unasked! That guy just rocks, and knows his 1911's. So after some work, Alex found that I got a bad extractor that wasn't tensioned properly. He not only fixed my extractor, he fitted two extra extractors for me, sent me a free Wilson ETM mag, and a bunch of those cool towels of theirs. I actually tried to get Alex NOT to send me a bunch of stuff, but he was insistent. But hell, two extra fitted extractors for a gun for free is FREAKIN AWESOME.

So this weekend, I went out and shot the gun with GDHP 230gr, and Winchester 230 Talon (RA45T), and it functioned just fine. So over all, I'd say GREAT experience. This is a good shooter, and the dealer (DRC) and the manufacturer are peopler that'll go the extra mile to make things good.

I've also detail stripped the pistol just to see what it's got for parts.

Some notes from 1500 rounds, ratings on 1-10 scale (10=best)

- Grips: Score 8. I actually went back to the shredder grips from the 10-8's I put on there. The shredders are actually kinda cool.
    - Grip Screws: Score 1. One of the only things that annoyed me about the gun. I don't like hex screws. So I put on 10-8 GI style grip screws.
    - Finish: Score 8. The melonite finish they use is deep and effective. 1500 rounds and plenty of holster draws and there's hardly any noticeable wear. It seems like a better finish then my Ed Brown GenIII. Comparable to the Grayguns Superblack I have on a couple of guns.
    - Front and Back Strap: Score 9. The heavy LPI treatment is odd but good. It FEELS very aggressive, but doesn't beat up my right pinky. I have permanent scarring from shooting a lot of rounds through 20/25 LPI guns, scalloped guns. This feels more aggressive holding it, but ends up lass painful at the end of a shooting session.
    - Frame Slide Blend: 8. It's good.
    - Frame slide flit: Score 8: It's tight but not too tight. Not as tight as my Ed Brown or my Berryhill AFP. You could actually get the bushing out without thumb dents or a wrench. Looks great, functions great. A good mix of loose meets tight.
    - Slide Stop: Score 9. I particularly like this slide stop. The curved ledge has good traction. And the cut on the inside is a great idea. No more idiot marks. Seems like a well made part.
    - Thumb Safety: Score 9. The extended safety is nice. And the combo of that, plunger spring, and detente make this the most positive, aggressive thumb safety I've used on a gun. It's actually almost hard to work when your hands get really tired (I shot over a thousand rounds through 2 1911's that day).
    - Barrel and crown: Score 8. The barrel and crown work are excellent. I did remove the Shok Buff thing. I'm not a fan.
    - Trigger: Score 7. The trigger is good for a semi custom, not great. It's not quite as crisp as my Brown or Berryhill, but good weight, good point, and good reset. Taking it apart, it seems like a quality part.
    - Sear/Disconnector/Hammer/firing pin: Score 7. Good stuff for a semi-custom. No issues. I'd say the only stuff you're gonna get better is stuff from MARS, Berryhill, Harrison type people.
    - Grip Safety: Score 8. It's a fairly short engagement grip safety. But it is perfectly fitted, and works fine. Seems like a nice part. The forward arm seems solid, and the finish takes perfectly.
    - High-cut/Bottom Trigger guard: Score 8. I'd call this work, "middle of the road cut." It's not as high as the cut on my Wilson based AFP, but it's way higher than my Colt Series 70 repro.
    - Bevel: Score 7. All is good here. No particularly sharp spots.
    - Feedway polish: Score 6. It's ok. Could probably use a bit of work, but no real problems with feeding.
    - Port cut: Score 7. It's a fairly non aggressive cut/flare.
    - Front sight: Score 7. It's a pretty good standard front sight. I like the blade length. It could use a brighter ring around the tritium (waddya want, I'm almost 40 and it's reading glasses time. you younguns might not have those issues).
    - Rear sight: Score 10. This is one of the best rears I've seen. I like Heinie's and 10-8's, but this sucker rocks. It's harder steel than Heinie or probably 10-8. The serrations are very fine, but strong with that steel. And it uses 2 set screws instead of the typical one. This sight is AWESOME.
    - MSH: Score 8: Seems like a quality part. No lanyard (don't want one). Finish evenly applied.
    - Mag catch: Score 8: Took it apart, and it seems like a good part. Good length. No snagging.
    - Magwell bevel: Score 7: Average for a high end, but not heavily custom gun.
    - Springs: 17lb recoil, 23 pound main, XXP Wolf firing pin. All seems good here.
    - Slide top: Score 9. I usually don't do flattened slide tops. they kinda annoy me. This one is good. The lines are heavy, well machined, and solid, so they won't dent when banged up.

That's about all I got. Overall, I would rate this as an outstanding semi custom. Right now, I'd take the No Name over Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson's standard line guns like CQB, all of which cost more except the Baer. I think it's just about the most gun you can get right now for the price point. And the customer service is better than outstanding.

N

2. G27RR

G27RR Hmmm...

Oct 11, 2011
    Good service!

3. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    First GI that I've heard of with issues and having to go back to Alex. Glad to hear he got it worked out for you.

4. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Hmmm...interesting.

5. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Good to hear that GC and DRC stand behind their products. :thumb:

6. RMA

RMA Active Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks for the writeup. I am looking foward to my NN come Januray/February's completion. I have heard similar FTF issues using the same ammo on other hi end semi custom 1911's.

7. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    I would love to have a No Name. Wish I had the money for one, though if I did I'd buy John Ryder's Custom Carry instead. Perhaps next spring I'll have the funds.

8. newt

newt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Hokie, first GI I've heard of with problems as well. I suspect an unusual case, but it all worked out for the best.

9. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Lol. I see we are on the same page on this one.

This was the opposite on mine. Best trigger Ive had on a 1911 except for a fluke of a factory Springfield gun. Better than my Wilson, Nighthawks, Ed Brown, or Baers.

10. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Good write-up. I like mine a lot. I agree about the grip screws; I have some OD Armor-Tuff ones from Wilson Combat I plan to put on instead.

I was told the recoil spring on mine is 18 pounds, not 17 like yours, for what it's worth.

I'm shooting mostly duty ammo through mine, though, so 18's fine for my work.

I have another few thousand rounds to shoot through mine, and I plan to post up a proper review as well. It'll be nice to consolidate such reviews here so people thinking about buying one can get a good idea of what they're like. They're very nice guns.

Andy

11. newt

newt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Sir Guy,

They are fantastic guns. And the CS can't be beat. I really think it's one of the best functional and best looking guns out there. And the rear sight is, in my opinion, simply the best on the market right now.

12. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Glad to hear Alex and Dave took care of you. Nobody is perfect 100% of the time, nor can any product be perfect 100% of the time. The things that says the most about a company is how they stand behind the product. This just goes to show you what great guys Alex and Dave are, and how they handle their businesses.

13. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Excellent review. I like how you broke it down part by part.
    I love my NN as well. Both Alex and Dave are first rate.

14. newt

newt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    They are first rate. If only I had another $3500 lying around, I'd buy that Heirloom that Dave's got. Oh well...

15. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    One of the best honest reviews I have seen on a a new pistol. Thanks.

16. RMA

RMA Active Member

Aug 18, 2011
    What options did you go with?

17. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks for the kind words....and on that Heirloom....make me an offer, you never know. :biggrin1:

18. newt

newt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Dave, I'd love to, but I'm in enough trouble. In the last few months, I've bought the No Name, the Berryhill, have sent off my Colt Repro to become a MARS Axiom, and sent my P7M13 to be done over by Bruce Gray. I did it all because I got out of the motorcycle riding business, so I sold my beautiful Ducati and let myself use the money for some fun gun stuff. But if I do any more, my lovely wife is gonna kick my ass. Cheers though!

19. RMA

RMA Active Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Gun hobbies can get scary expensive I know...I love shooting my P7M13 (along w the other HK's) when taking a break from the 1911's.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted