close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guncrafter Range Report

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by carguy2244, Aug 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    What a bonus. New GC NN shows arrives yesterday, and today is a day off work.

First off to Vance's Shooter Supply to get some ammo. Blazer Brass 230 FMJ, and PMC 185 JHP. On sale, so I got 150 rounds of each.
    Tried to find a holster. Good luck. 1911 rail guns must be few and far between. Picked up a Kydex OWB paddle, with a nice Taurus logo. I'm getting a
    Kydex molded, and a hybrid from Garrett. A few of the staff at Vance's gave the gun a thorough once over, and they were impressed with the fit, the
    attention to detail, and trigger. They told me the magazines were tuned to the gun (they could tell by how the magazine ejects)
    Off the New Albany Shooting Range. Same reaction to those that saw it there.
    100 rounds. Ran perfect, like a Rolex. The shredder grips and the checkering allowed easy handling.
    Guncrafter sights, which are their version of Hienie Ledge Straight 8s, were very good, The wide rear U notch, .160" (IIRC), gave a plenty of light on
    both sides of the front post. I was thinking about TruGlo TFOs, but I figured I'd go with what GC thought would work best. POA is POI, as best I can tell (it'll take a little more practice to make that statement with authority).
    The trigger is real nice. Very crisp. Probably just under 4 lbs.
    AT 30 feet, 100 rounds made a 2 inch hole, with a half dozen or so I pulled an inch or 2 away from the hole. It's criminal that such ugly shooting wouldtake place with such a nice gun, but my last 250,000 rounds were 99.9% Glock.
    Returned to the range with my 21 year old son a few hours later. If he liked it, I'd get him a GC too. He's a Glock speed demon, very accurate, very
    fast, and very attached to his 17L and 19. His performance at the range was good, but he's staying with his Glocks for now. He says he's a Ninja guy,
    and the GC is a Harley. I'm a Ninja guy too, but I love this GC.
    Second range visit was much better for me, Slow fore at 30 feet, I shot 6 groups of 8, none bigger than 1.5 inches, with zero flyers. I had one occasio where the slide would return to battery on a full magazine, using the slide release. The round was stripped out of the magazine properly (or at least it looked straight to me). I was using a generic magazine, but as the round was stripped, I don't know if that was the cause. It felt like the slide wasn't
    coming forward with enough force, Any ideas would be helpful. Anyway, it didn't repeat that problem. Maybe because it's a tightly fit gun.

This gun is more accurate than me. It has great visual appeal, both to me, and to all who saw it. I showed it to a fellow at New Albany. This guy is a 1911 guru, a former LEO, and well regarded as one of the best 1911 shooters in the state. He gave the the GC a full exam. This fellow shoots and wins with Wilsons, Browns, and RRAs. He wins almost all the time. He commented on the checkering, the grips, the safeties, the sights, the trigger, and the
    fit. I asked him what he'd change, and he said "nothing". His stamp of approval tells me I must have a better eye for quality than I thought I had.

The weapon, by the way, was built by Dave, who is Alex's brother-in-law, and who Alex said was a Supergrade gunsmith. Alex did the QC. When I
    learned this, I was at first concerned. Not now. This NN feels better and shoots better than any handgun I've handled.

I'm definitely getting more of these. Maybe a .50, maybe a SS, a CCO...maybe all of them. Who knows, maybe my son will change his mind, and I'll get him one too.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    good to hear!!!

not sure where in the C-bus are, but i'll be down at OWU friday morning.

3. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Is that part of OSU? You want to go shooting?

4. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Not that i know of, it's a few miles from Blackwing Shooting Center.

5. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T (Guncrafter in a Taurus Holster)!!!! You do realize I now have the power to lock threads and ban you, right? :rofl2:

6. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Well if you want to shoot, let me know. Black Wing is 15 minutes from my office.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    ah cool.

i'll have a better idea tomorrow.

8. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think it'll look good with the faux pearl grips and gold thumb safety.

LOL!

Actually I found an Uncle Mike's canvas holster. That's all I could find in this whole city to fit a railed 1911. I'll have my permanent rigs in a couple of weeks.
    You can ban me all you like, just keep them GCs coming this way.:grin:

9. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    I am just having fun......That is the only downside with the railed 1911's. Holster availability can be kind of a problem. I have a real nice 5-Shot IBS IWB for a Railed 1911 that I keep. After seeing how nice the railed NN came out, I will probably have Alex build me one in the near future.

10. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I have a Cane & Derby Pardus for my railed 1911. Great holster, great customer service, about a 30 day lead.

11. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I know you're horsing around. How could this forum survive without my photography skills...lol.

I wonder if Cane and Derby will make one for the gun with the light attached. I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks.

12. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Another range day. 300 rounds. Getting better, consistently keeping groups inside an inch at 10 yards off hand. Son shot it again, and
    said, "Well, it does shoot nice". Maybe he'll be getting a GC soon - Christmas coming soon.
    Round count now up to 1000. Time to strip and clean?

13. drcfirearms

Aug 16, 2011
    Mike....that is great to hear! I am glad it is living up to your expectations. I would probably break it down and give it a good cleaning unless you just want to see how long it will run without a cleaning. If it were me, I would clean it sooner rather than later. I have another NN on the way if your son decides he want one.....:biggrin1:

14. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I pulled the slide and barrel, cleaned and lubed what was easy to access. CLP sprayed the rest. The recoil spring was a lot of fun.

Is it important to do a full upper disassembly? Because I didn't do that.

15. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    The slide is easy to disassemble. There are plenty of YouTube videos on it; just push in the firing pin, slide down the cover plate (hold onto that firing pin, it's under spring pressure!), remove firing pin and its spring, and pull out the extractor.

The extractor tunnel is a good place to clean.

Cleaning is easier sooner rather than later. It's sort of like cleaning your kitchen. The longer you wait, the harder it is. :lol:

Andy

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted