1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been watching his site for quite a while. However I’m pretty sure he recently added this disclaimer line in the descriptions.

https://www.gunnerproducts.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=1776

I could be wrong but believe I would have noticed it before.

WE ARE NOW USING A CARBON FIBER BACKING ON THESE GRIPS...VERY STRONG... WOULD LOOK GREAT ON A BLUE OR STAINLESS 1911...VERY SOLID SMOOTH AND SHINY...THESE GRIPS LOOK FANTASTIC IN PERSON... These grips are made from Mammoth Ivory that is at least 8,000 to 10,000 years old... THEY ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR RANGE TYPE SHOOTING..
I don’t recall the mention of the carbon fiber backer? And if they are now using this and it makes them ‘very strong’ why the disclaimer saying they aren’t recommended for range type shooting? So in other words they aren’t made to be used and are only for looks? The Dan Chinnock Mammoth grips I had were the opposite. He says his grips are made to be used and if they break, crack or chip thru regular use he will replace it/them at no cost.
Isnt the ‘not for range use’ line new? I’ve never noticed it before?

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's a fairly common statement on crosscut mammoth tooth/ivory.

I would assume it is his judgement call from piece to piece.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Also, he has used the carbon fiber backing on his tooth and crosscut pieces for a while now.
Agreed. He mentioned this in one way or another as long as I've been watching his site, maybe not in all CAPS.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Yup, carbon fiber backing has been on the cross cuts for a while. I have noticed the caveat about range shooting is sometimes inconsistent on each listing.

Knowing what I now know I would NOT shoot a gun with cross cuts on, especially since it voids your warranty. The ivories are another story, I do shoot with those on (using the o rings).

On a side note his products are amazing and he is a top notch individual to deal with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts