1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Schütze
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guns in bars ;)

Well folks our State Representative Curry Todd (Tennessee), sponsor of the "Guns-in-bars" law was arrested and charged with possession of a loaded handgun while under the influence and drunken driving.. According to the local newspaper. He was stopped near Vanderbilt while going 60MPH in a 40MPH zone, weaving and crossing the yellow like. According to the arresting officer Rep. Todd was "unsteady on his feet and almost falling down at times". He is also a former Memphis police officer.. That's just grand, isn't it.. Ron

PS: This was all a-bit tongue-in-cheek folks.. ;) ;) ;)

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Yeah. I saw this the other day on arkansascarry.com. Not helping out very much if you are pro bar carry.

·
Anger Management Graduate
394 Posts
Well, kiss that deal goodby.

I dont know if drunks and guns are a really good idea anyway.

claire

·
It WAS Quack
1,586 Posts
I had to argue this the other day with someone. All carry laws do is prohibit law abiding citizens from legally carrying. If a CHL holder commits a crime, as did this politician, they are then a criminal, not a law abiding citizen. Therefore, it doesn't matter if the law says "absolutely NO guns" because the criminals will STILL illegally carry their firearms there. Criminals don't care about breaking the law! It's such a simple thing to understand, yet for the life of me I fail to get why SO many people just don't understand it!

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Yeah, I've been on the fence about that one. I would carry in a bar, IF I WEREN'T DRINKING, but I don't go into bars to NOT drink... I sure as hell don't want to run across a drunk with a gun. I just don't trust everyone else in the bar to be as responsible as others. If I decide to drink, I put my guns up. If I know I'm going to a bar to shoot some pool with the wife, the gun stays home. Since I got my permit, my wife has noticed I don't have a beer with our food anymore. I used to get at least 2 or 3 beers when we would go out to eat, but now I'm usually carrying, so I don't drink. Win/win as far as the wife is concerned! :laugh:

·
It WAS Quack
1,586 Posts
I think a lot of people get caught up on the "bar" part. A bar is nothing more than a restaurant that serves alcohol, OR a "typical" bar that serves bar-food and has entertainment. Applebees, Fridays, Taverns, Bar & Grills, etc. mostly all serve alcohol. Why should I not be allowed to eat lunch at these places? I work outside and I always go places to eat lunch, and it's usually somewhere that serves alcohol. Just because it's served there, doesn't mean that person is going to drink! And like Dilespia said, if I'm going to drink, I do NOT have the gun with me. It's just plain simple...

·
Schütze
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't drink when out anymore either.. In the past I always had a few beers, but no more.. The wife thinks it's a win-win as well..

I'm a beer snob, so it's too expensive to drink out anyhow... LOL.. Ron

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Oh, let me clarify a little too. I forget that people to call those eating establishments "bars" sometimes. In the state of Arkansas, a bar has to have a certain percentage of alcohol to food ratio, or no food. All those restaurants are not considered "bars" here, so I'll carry there, as long as I don't drink, and if I change my mind, the gun gets locked in the car.

The rule I go by is this; If you can smoke inside, it's a "bar", don't carry a gun. If you go inside and they are drinking, but not smoking, it is a "restaurant", carry is not prohibited. Smoking is banned in "restaurants" here, and probably everywhere else in the US too.

I came up with this analogy after walking into a "restaurant" while carrying and noticed people smoking. It wasn't an eating establishment, even though they had a lot of food on the menu and people were eating, it was a bar according to our laws because of the food to alcohol sales ratio. I turned and left pretty quick when I saw those smokers.

·
It WAS Quack
1,586 Posts
Well in Ohio, smoking inside is banned everywhere. So that doesn't work here. :lol:

·
Low capacity, low tech...
4,303 Posts
I would also like to add this, and not many people think about it. I work at a bar, on the weekend, and will get off at 3AM. So being downtown, after bar hours, is a reason a law abiding citizen (bar/restaurant employee) should be able to protect him/herself, walking to his/her car and on the ride home.

And as Cody pointed out, not EVERY one drinks when they're inside of an establishment that has a Class D license. So if you think that, it's just completely ignorant on your part.

·
Schütze
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing I can tell.. If I was a state rep and had sponsored a guns in bars bill... I wouldn't be caught carrying, drunk and driving.. Just saying... Ron

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I agree with Cody. Criminals will do whatever anyway. If you are a law-abiding citizen and you carry and drink (at least in Ohio), guess what...you crossed the line from citizen to criminal.

I only go to bars (well one bar - BW3) to watch UFC pay-per-views once a month. Up until now, I could not carry there so I'd wash down my wings with a few lagers. Now I will switch to Cokes. No biggie. The law is the law.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I agree with Cody. Criminals will do whatever anyway. If you are a law-abiding citizen and you carry and drink (at least in Ohio), guess what...you crossed the line from citizen to criminal.

I only go to bars (well one bar - BW3) to watch UFC pay-per-views once a month. Up until now, I could not carry there so I'd wash down my wings with a few lagers. Now I will switch to Cokes. No biggie. The law is the law.

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
I agree that the staff and owners should be allowed to carry. I know the lady at the bar my wife and I go to play pool at carries. My problem is with the patrons. You working in a bar may have a different opinion on this, and I am interested in hearing what you have to say about it too, but I can't help but think that someone is going to be irresponsible and start drinking while carrying. That's why I'm on the fence about it. I would trust the staff there, not the other people.

·
Low capacity, low tech...
4,303 Posts
I agree that the staff and owners should be allowed to carry. I know the lady at the bar my wife and I go to play pool at carries. My problem is with the patrons. You working in a bar may have a different opinion on this, and I am interested in hearing what you have to say about it too, but I can't help but think that someone is going to be irresponsible and start drinking while carrying. That's why I'm on the fence about it. I would trust the staff there, not the other people.
And that's why I brought that point up, cause not a lot of people think about the staff that caters to the patrons. It's the same thing when they were debating about not smoking in bars. The patrons have a choice to leave the bar, if the smokes bother them, but as an employee, I don't have a choice to leave. One can argue the fact that the employee also have a choice to work elsewhere. But it's harder to find a job than to walk outside to smoke. Anyway, that's MY POV on it. YMMV.

As for the debate of the "possibility" of a patron that's carrying AND then drinks, well, that's they're own decision. So they need to deal with the consequences of breaking the law. It's the same as a person that choices to not obtain a CHL and just carry, regardless of the law. I mean, having a few bad apples doesn't mean that it should be ruin for the rest of the population.

The mass hysteria of guns and alcohol mixing is a no-no is just plain ridiculous! Yes, agree that one should've be carrying if he/she drinks. But keeping responsible people out of such establishments is just dumb. I mean, has there been a mass increase in GSW since our law (Ohio) passed? NO.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not trying to sound like a D---, but have you read your own quote in the signature line? Does 2a have preconditions for carry? If it makes sense for some "common sense" law to forbid me from carrying in a bar, even when I am not drinking - then is it really a stretch for some politicianto extend that "common sense" legislation to include my house? Where there are guns, ammo, and booz? Its a slippery slope.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have no problem with guns in bars as long as you aren't drinking. I have seen too many people make poor decisions after "a few beers". If you are that concerned about your safety maybe you should rethink A. The bar you are going to, or B. Why you are going to a bar at all.

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Exactly why I said I'm on the fence. I don't want the 2nd trampled in any way, but we all know how someone that has been drinking can make terrible decisions. If they will get in a car and drive while plastered, whats to say they won't pull out their gun at the first person that looks at them funny. I think it's common sense not to carry if you are drinking, but I don't trust the common sense of others as much as I do my own.

With that being said, I do know a few of my friends that do go to bars and not drink. One of them carries everywhere, no matter what, and he is one of the few that I 100% trust to carry in a bar.

I don't want to sound contradictory to myself, but I'll admit that sure is how it looks on this issue...

Hasn't this law been passed in a few states already?

Nice avatar by the way!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Exactly why I said I'm on the fence. I don't want the 2nd trampled in any way, but we all know how someone that has been drinking can make terrible decisions. If they will get in a car and drive while plastered, whats to say they won't pull out their gun at the first person that looks at them funny. I think it's common sense not to carry if you are drinking, but I don't trust the common sense of others as much as I do my own.

With that being said, I do know a few of my friends that do go to bars and not drink. One of them carries everywhere, no matter what, and he is one of the few that I 100% trust to carry in a bar.

I don't want to sound contradictory to myself, but I'll admit that sure is how it looks on this issue...

Hasn't this law been passed in a few states already?

Nice avatar by the way!
Thanks! and Yes - Ohio was state number 44 to pass such legislation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts