guns that you could or couldn’t shoot.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Adam13, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Adam13

Adam13 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Name a gun that you wanted to love but just couldn’t shoot. Or vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Adam13

Adam13 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2020
    I will go first.

The first real handgun I bought was a Sig Sauer 226 in 9mm. This was the gun of the Navy Seals I thought. So if it’s good for them it must be good for me. Who doesn’t want to shoot like a Seal?

Quickly I learned that I could not hit the broad side of a barn with this gun. Maybe it’s the slab side or bag ergonomics for me personally. But whatever the reason I just couldn’t shoot this pistol well.

Oppositely, I never likes the looks of the plastic king the Glock 17. But almost straight away I shot this pistol better than anything I had ever shot prior.

Anyone with similar experiences?

JM44, Dub, xerts1191 and 2 others like this.

3. Texduramax

Texduramax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    20+ years ago, I purchased a Colt Defender in .40 cal. Wanted to love this gun so much but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door with it. I tried and tried, but the muzzle flip was just too much for me.

Sold it for what I paid for it and gave the guy 200 rounds of ammo to go with it. Have never owned anything in .40 cal. since.

4. Adam13

Adam13 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Tex

I also can’t stand 40cal or any high pressure rounds.

Texduramax likes this.
  5. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with any Sig. Must be the grip angle/trigger position relationship.

A long time ago I bought a custom 14" barrel for a first gen T/C, chambered in 444 Marlin. That thing could just plain hurt, and I never could get comfortable with it.

xerts1191, gps man and Adam13 like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Worst trigger, hand punishing, imaginary sights, lowest capacity, POA with no relation to POI, of any gun I own.

Just ask @livinthelife . . . . . .

COP #2.jpg

COP #3.jpg

COP #4.jpg

Gotta love it . . .

Z

john_anch_ak, DWdude, Dub and 7 others like this.
  7. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I never could shoot them double stacked Smith & Wesson 3 gen 9mm pistols. Ended up buying three or four of them cause I thought it was the gun, this is when you could pick up police surplus dirt cheap. Ended up sending two of them back to S&W for trigger jobs thinking it was the trigger and the barrel axis. Ended up buying an expensive NIB tactical model of all things, and still couldn't hit sh!t. At seven yards I was hard put to put a hole on paper, big paper. I liked them big heavy beasts just cause I like bright shiny metallic objects. Come to the conclusion that despite my firearms training in the military & police academy & other I was a pizz poor shot. Demoralizing, don't think I've recovered from it still, and it's embarrassing to admit.

I had a similar surprising positive experience with them Glock guns.

jcc7x7, john_anch_ak, FNFAN and 4 others like this.
  8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Easy one here....Glock 19

9. random84

random84 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    This, except it was a 40cal. Then a .45.

Sold them both and never looked back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HooDoo Man and xerts1191 like this.
  10. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Much to my dissapointment, both the SIG 2022 and the SIG 320 were no go for me☹️

They both felt good but I couldn't shoot them well at all. Was very bummed.

Badabing11, Adam13 and xerts1191 like this.
  11. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Love me some SIGs. Most reliable and accurate pistols I have ever owned. Only model I ever had problems was with a P232...Slide Bite :cry:. Adjusted my grip slightly and no more problems.

I have a S&W 442 38 SP that is not really fun to shoot at all. Having said that, it is laying on my desk right now in case a bad guy walks in

HooDoo Man and xerts1191 like this.
  12. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    For some reason, about 10 years ago, I decided I really wanted a short barreled .357/.38. So I saved up for and bought a Ruger SP101 with a 2" barrel. I loved the look of it. I probably averaged 2 out of 5 shots on on a 12" target from 7-10 yards. Kept trying for a few months and finally gave up and sold it. Lost money and everything. Very frustrating :)

HooDoo Man, xerts1191 and gps man like this.
  13. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    M&P Compact, couldn't get the hang of it. I liked the feel in the hand but couldn't hit squat. I've owned three of them and sold/traded all.

[​IMG]

xerts1191 and Mike0707 like this.
  14. Mike0707

Mike0707 JMB fan

Apr 11, 2019
    I had one of those too...... didn't care for it

Whiten likes this.
  15. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
  16. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Sig 220 in .45 acp.
    Fit my hand, loved it.
    Couldn’t seem to shoot it worth crap.
    I could hit the broad side of a barn but that was about it.

Went through my Sig phase. Had a bunch of 2xx models in most of the calibers.

All have gone down the road except a 226 in 9mm made and stamped “Made in West Germany”

JM44 and Mike0707 like this.
  17. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    10guage shotgun, not only no, but hell no!

18. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    As odd as this might sound.... For me it was the Taurus 82, J-frame .38 snubby.... I don't what, how, or why, but I just could never bond with it. I tried over and over to get a good solid grip on it, and it still had massive "muzzle flip". I sold it to my local LGS and took the loss. :(

Mike0707 likes this.
  19. Ingramite

Ingramite On The Lost Highway

Sep 16, 2018
    I've always been deadly with a revolver. More so .38 spl but I can do ok with a .357 Magnum.
    I mean I never failed to qualify, even with a hangover.

So one Friday afternoon several months ago I walked into a pawn shop, just nosing around, and there was a Kimber K6s with a 3" barrel in the display case. The price marked was in line with what you would expect to pay and I have to admit, I was more than curious. Kimber does a great job of marketing and like I said, I was curious.

I asked the counterman what his best "out the door" price would be and when he dropped $300 from the tag...Uh, what did you say? I wasn't sure if my ears were playing a trick or maybe my wishful thinking was in overdrive.

My eyes glazed over. I became slack jawed and felt myself drifting off into Fly Catcher mode. When I finally snapped out of it and came to I was in my car, halfway to the range with a strange box on the passenger seat.

Well, I set up on the 7yrd line and swung open the cylinder. This little pistol is marketed as the smallest and lightest 6 round .357 magnum made today. The first thing you notice is that the cylinder isn't round. Think of a stepped on Tootsie Roll. Sort of flattened out. It had a trigger pull like a sewing machine. Smooth and crisp, very easy to stage during double action. No hammer on this model so staging the trigger really helps.

Beautiful pistol with remarkable detail to finish with some classy looking smooth rosewood stocks.
    So I load up 6 rounds of magnums. Did I mention that the charging holes are recessed?

Now, my eyes ain't what they used to be, so I'm thinking that I'm used to looking at .45 holes in targets and...and... I mean I'm feeling the recoil but I'll be damned if I'm seeing any holes in the target. Maybe I better try another 6 rounds....

You know what a ruckus it makes on an indoor range when you are touching off magnum loads?
    Ok, so I pull the target in for closer examination while I'm watching out of the corners of my eyes to see if anyone is noticing. Not a single hole in the target!

I did check the barrel to make sure that I didn't have 12 squibs stacked up in there. The next morning I took that little sweetheart to the gun show and traded it off. This was a new world record for me on short retention of a firearm.

K6S.jpg

20. Adam13

Adam13 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Great story!

Gafanhao and Ingramite like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted