Gunsight Academy?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Colorado Sonny, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
  2. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    How much if the word “Church” isn’t used in the course description? It seems there must be a class offered by some group that would have a high correlation between church defense and one less esoteric.

wcanterbury and FWoo45 like this.

3. Patrick Taylor

Patrick Taylor Yes, I own a dremel tool.

Nov 7, 2011
    I have been through their 250 but it has been many years ago and things have probably changed.

Only my opinion and of course it depends on your location and needs BUT training can be found for a better price than Gunsite these days.

firearmstraininghub.com

wcanterbury and Fred_G like this.
  4. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I have had friends go. Great range, ran well, good instruction. For my $, find a more local instructor. For that kind of cash, I don't think you would have a problem finding one.

Just to clarify, I was confusing Gunsight with Front Sight, I don't know anyone that has been to a Gunsight class.

Freaking reading, with all the letters and such...

My bad.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    wcanterbury likes this.
  5. gunfighter45

gunfighter45 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2012
    In training as well as actual firearms, you almost always get what you pay for....

1L26, simonp and wcanterbury like this.
  6. Patrick Taylor

Patrick Taylor Yes, I own a dremel tool.

Nov 7, 2011
    wcanterbury likes this.
  7. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I live about 2 hours from Gunsite and want to take their Concealed Carry course. At almost $2k per class before you figure in ammo and travel, it's not for the faint of pocketbook. But, good training costs.
    However, there's a pre-req of having taken the 250 course first. I have well over 200 hours training with MDFI, Larry Vickers, Will Petty, MDFI, Sentinel Concepts, and others. That doesn't include the training I received as a MP in the Army or personal training and NRA RSO qualification. Was hoping that I could skip the 250 class and get into the Concealed Carry, but strangely was told no, there is no wavers allowed. So, now i have to decide if I want to take a course that's probably more refresher than new, spend $2,500 with ammo and hotel to do so, so that I can get to the Concealed Carry course later...
    On another note, if you ever get the opportunity to take Will Petty (Centrifuge Training) VCQB or AVCQB courses, do it. It will kick your ass six ways to Sunday, but really worth it. Here are a couple of videos of the training that we did in MI with MDFI and Petty:

It's all fighting in, around and under vehicles. VCQB is all pistol based, AVCQB is pistol and carbine.
    And if you've ever fired a 10.5" SBR in a closed vehicle, yeah, it's like getting kicked in the head. So, guess who was the one asshat that brought his Mk18? That'd be me. My partner HATED me. Like with the whitehot passion of a 1,000 suns.

Fred_G and wcanterbury like this.
  8. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Although more training and practice is always better, Gunsight recommends taking the 250 class before taking the Church Defense class. They are pricey at $1750, but they also examine the details of church/soft target shootings to date along with profiling and security.

A recent example was a black guy that vigorously walked to the front row of chairs stage right with a back pack about 15 minutes before the end of the second service and sat down on the edge of the aisle.

I immediately went from the sound booth in the back and talked to Keli from the Carbondale Police who regularly attends in uniform.
    1) I have never seen this guy before.
    2. He looks like he is off Northeastern African descent.
    3) He walked in at the end of the second service.
    4) The second service is the most heavily attended.
    5) He walked directly to the front row.
    6) He is carrying a back pack.

Things turned out okay as he was there to see one of the members of the band, but the hair did stand up on my neck even though there was an armed, uniformed police officer there and I am told that there are some members who carry. I don't know which ones and I figure I would probably know them as we would have shot together in the past.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted