Gunsite Silhouette Target Design

Discussion in 'Training' started by B81, Oct 18, 2018.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Just guessing, but maybe because bad guys don't wear a standard outfit?

Q-52 likes this.

3. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    I believe the idea is that in real life you don't get a solid uniform colored object to aim and shoot at. It disrupts your reliance on the plain old target and forces you to carefully observe and focus on what you are shooting.

Greenrunner likes this.
  4. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    How do you see them if they are camoflauged? :)

FWoo45 and purple bikerr like this.
  5. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Use the force.;)

purple bikerr likes this.
  6. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Because they are placed in a non camouflaged environment ;)

7. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I live about 40 minutes from GunSite , been there a few times, mostly shooting a their steel target ranges. I have a few friends that buy those targets and have shot at quite a few of them. While I'm not a fan of them, I just try to aim at center mass. I usually don't do as well on them as some of the more plain type of targets, as I can't see where the bullets are striking them unless I'm in under 15 yards. Like I said I'm not a fan, but if a buddy staples a few up on the target stands, I'll pull the trigger.

8. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    You usually can’t see where the bullets are hitting on a real life dirtbag either.

Q-52, azpoolguy and PewPewPtwang like this.
  9. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    For some of our casual, informal matches, I like to use old shirts over the IPSC/IDPA
    cardboard targets.
    It does change the game some.

Apollo, you'd be welcome to join us.

WC145, Kip, 1911 dawg and 2 others like this.
  10. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
    Especially with shirted targets, having them rotated 30-45 degrees from dead on to the shooter,
    adds a new dimension to the drills.

11. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
    Also......looking at the targets for your hits, is generally considered non-productive.
    Front sight, FRONT SIGHT!.........only.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Shirts on targets, now that is an interesting concept. My old shirts usually become car or gun cleaning rags, a few more holes would not hurt. I like the idea! Any way to put a bit of a challenge in without being unsafe or costing much $ us always a good thing.

WC145 and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.
  13. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    We sometimes use a silhouette target with a black T-shirt covering it . Challenging !

Fred_G likes this.
  14. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Agree. My experience is that when shooting a paper target depicting a person dressed a certain way, or in a background situation, it affects point of aim and hits, at least when shooting under time pressure. It is much easier to shoot at a solid color silhouette.

Fred_G likes this.
  15. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I wonder if their might be a psychological aspect as well. With good range safety, one might associate a shirt with a person, not a target.

Sometimes I kinda wonder, with all the range safety we practice, might I have a brain fart and hesitate to aim a gun at a person? I don't think so, but who knows. Mixing up the targets seems like a good thing.

Just thinking out loud, not advocating for less range safety...

WC145 likes this.
  16. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I like this idea.
    Best time for a "what the...?" is on the range. Nice twist!

Fred_G likes this.
  17. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    My first time training in this method with t-shirts over the target was at a 2 day class taught by former TR adjunct instructors Rob Rathburn and the late Bill Black. As Greg45acp points out-in life you don't see where your hits are.

18. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I've found that shooting targets with shirts on them definitely changes the "feel" of it. Not being able to see your usual landmarks on the target and not seeing the holes your bullets make on top of the mental association of clothing normally being on people really adds another dimension to your shooting. If you haven't tried it you definitely should, it was pretty weird the first time I did.

Josh_Putman and Kip like this.
  19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted