1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I got too deep into their website, I had one question I couldn't find an answer to. This is for guys who have used this service before. I read everything I could find on their website but couldn't find an answer to this one. Even looked for a video instructional, which I thought they had. Nada.

When you get to UPS to drop off the package, do you still have the requirement to "declare" that the package contains a handgun, or do they automatically know by virtue of who created the label, the intended recipient, and information stored in their system?

Thanks in advance.

Asking for a friend . . . . . :rolleyes:

Z

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
I've used it, great service! Half the price of FFL fees and the post office fees. When I used it they knew it was a gun because the FFL's address with his business name. Otherwise yes, declare it. Plus you must go to a FedEx hub, not a neighborhood store.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used it, great service! Half the price of FFL fees and the post office fees. When I used it they knew it was a gun because the FFL's address with his business name. Otherwise yes, declare it. Plus you must go to a FedEx hub, not a neighborhood store.
I think they are using UPS now, hence my concern (with the news reports of late of firearms going missing in UPS care). Insurance WILL be purchased . . . . .

Fortunately for me, there is a UPS hub within a couple miles of my work.

Z

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, T4, DW V-Bob and G21
5,940 Posts
I think they are using UPS now, hence my concern (with the news reports of late of firearms going missing in UPS care). Insurance WILL be purchased . . . . .

Fortunately for me, there is a UPS hub within a couple miles of my work.

Z

My UPS hub is on the same street as my plant and I’ve looked in to using this service as well. Gary let me know how you like it and if it’s easier than going through the FFL for shipping. I’m also looking into getting my FFL license due to all the fees and what not plus I can then receive and ship for family and friends.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,488 Posts
I’ve used the service. I usually just give it to my FFL. He runs a hardware store and doesn’t charge me for sending out if I make the label . Last time I went to a hub to ship , everyone got a case of the “Huminas” and didn’t want to touch it.

I have been told by some that declaring it as a firearm increases your chance of theft. But legally, it should be declared. Risk taking guys I know usually just call it machine parts . I just find it easier to go by the rules and over insure it. They know my FFL , so he doesn’t get any hassle at UPS.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Have you considered using a "blue" gun for a test shipment?

Sending it to one of the FFls on here with the the Business Name in the Address line for the temptation level?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
In my last purchase the seller did not have good luck with their service, he paid and never could get in contact with the company, maybe they were closed at some point. Curious to see more feedback about the company.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Zoid I’ve used it A LOT. Never had an issue. Yes I declare it as well and ALWAYS get the insurance.

As far as it going missing, in order to collect the insurance you must have declared it. But really I don’t see how that would prevent a sh*tbag employee from saying you didn’t but I digress.

I can tell you from experience that missing firearms are usually found quickly. When the ATF starts sniffing around a UPS hub, people start ratting and/or come forward.

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
I’ve used the service. I usually just give it to my FFL. He runs a hardware store and doesn’t charge me for sending out if I make the label . Last time I went to a hub to ship , everyone got a case of the “Huminas” and didn’t want to touch it.

I have been told by some that declaring it as a firearm increases your chance of theft. But legally, it should be declared. Risk taking guys I know usually just call it machine parts . I just find it easier to go by the rules and over insure it. They know my FFL , so he doesn’t get any hassle at UPS.
I have stuck with my ffl to ship guns too. They know the laws and us USPS. I insure the guns and have had only a few tracking errors . no guns lost or stolen

Reactions: Badabing11

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I always ship through my FFL, he charges $30 plus USPS flat rate shipping. His insurance covers the firearm whatever it valued at. Its under $50 total with little to no hassle.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,163 Posts
My FFL charged me $10 plus shipping costs when I did this last winter.
I think it cost me 28 bucks total.

Can't hurt to ask your crack dealer errr..... FFL.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Zoid, I know it's not the question you asked, but there's nothing from stopping you from setting up an online UPS/Fedex account and calling the receiving dealer, printing the labels yourself, insuring, declaring, and dropping off at the hub. Only difference is that you'll have to pay for overnight, whereas Buds/Shipmygun has an agreement for 2-day services.

Just PLEASE verify the dealers via the ATF EZ-Check website before you ship it off.

For friendly neighborhood, kitchen table FFL, using US Postal is much cheaper...using flat rate and the lesser-known regional rate boxes. Have you checked the ATF database spreadsheets to see if there are any at-home dealers in your neck of the woods that could help you out? I have one I deal with regularly...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm just going to add this about some home base FFLs and store front also, make sure that they have insurance to cover the firearm not just the $50 that comes standard with USPS flat rate. It would be bad to lose or damage a 3k gun in mail and get nothing for it because wasn't insured.

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I always ship through my FFL, he charges $30 plus USPS flat rate shipping. His insurance covers the firearm whatever it valued at. Its under $50 total with little to no hassle.
My FFL charged me $10 plus shipping costs when I did this last winter.
I think it cost me 28 bucks total.

Can't hurt to ask your crack dealer errr..... FFL.
My local issue is that I cannot find ONE FFL that is willing to do an OUTGOING shipment. The small guy I used to use is no longer around. Pawn shops and gun stores are to busy for that . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
946 Posts
Bought a gun from a member of this site....SMG was a total CF for him in trying to get it shipped - couldn't get them to send him the label.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bought a gun from a member of this site....SMG was a total CF for him in trying to get it shipped - couldn't get them to send him the label.
Recent experience?

I thought they sent the labels via e-mail if the shipper was willing to supply the box. I think they only send a physical label IF they are requested to provide a shipping container (perhaps for a long gun?). I can see staffing a warehouse with folks sending out empty boxes these days might be an issue.

Z

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Registered
946 Posts
I thought they sent the labels via e-mail if the shipper was willing to supply the box. I think they only send a physical label IF they are requested to provide a shipping container (perhaps for a long gun?). I can see staffing a warehouse with folks sending out empty boxes these days might be an issue.
Last month on a gun I was buying on this site. They couldn’t “find” my FFL and sending them a copy didn’t seem to help. And the seller couldn’t get them to respond to repeated attempts to get it resolved. You'd think getting a label would be easier - apparently not.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
I simply emailed them a copy of my FFL's license. Now it's on file. They do now just attach a label in an email to you. Cheap and handy!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I simply emailed them a copy of my FFL's license. Now it's on file. They do now just attach a label in an email to you. Cheap and handy!
He tried that.....didn't seem to help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts