Had smith install new trigger

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Dishow, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Dishow

Dishow New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Hello. I purchased a new colt combat elite from my dealer. There is a in house gunsmith with 20+years experience. I had him install a harrison extreme short trigger. Picked it up yesterday and the trigger pull is HEAVY. Did he not install it correctly or does it get better with use. I have not shot this since new. Was planning on going to the range today,but might just bring this back to him. Very disappointing to say the least.

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Need a bit more info than that. What did the trigger feel like from the factory? Smooth? Gritty? Too much takeup? Etc. What changed after the new trigger was put in? What was the weight of the trigger pull before and after the install?

Or, you could just take it back to him and explain your dissatisfaction and see what he says. :)

3. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Did you not test the trigger when you picked up the gun?

A45GUNNER likes this.
  4. Dishow

Dishow New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    The original trigger was long and alot of take up. Other than that I don't know. I bought the colt and had him order a new trigger

5. Dishow

Dishow New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Yes,but the smith wasn't there to answer anything. Looks like I'll be bringing it back today. Charged me almost $90

wrmiller likes this.
  6. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    It could be so many things, but if you didn't specifically ask for a trigger job as well as the trigger fit your not going to get one.

wrmiller likes this.
  7. Dishow

Dishow New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Yes,I guess that makes sense. I just didn't think it would be that much heavier than stock.

8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    The pull is most probably the same as it came from the factory unless the smif installing the trigger didn't do a good job assuring clearances and polishing of HIS work.

All things being equal, I have had fairly good success swapping out sear springs with one of these. The installation is fairly simple IF you remove the thumb and grip safeties as part of the swap out. I have had these drop a 5.5 lb trigger pull to right around 3.0 lbs without any other changes.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...gs/1911-light-pull-sear-spring-prod79956.aspx

upload_2019-3-30_12-14-33.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  9. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I'd suggest stripping your gun, hold the muzzle down and see if the trigger moves smoothly in the frame. Harrison parts typically require a fair amount of fitting. If there's any binding on the trigger slot, or the top/bottom of the trigger itself, this will add weight to your trigger pull.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    william adams likes this.
  10. DD_USMC

DD_USMC Well-Known Member

May 23, 2014
    If the trigger moves smoothly and without resistance in the stripped frame, then the issue is most likely the sear spring. Your gunsmith changed or "tweaked" your sear spring.

Be sure to check the grip safety is properly fit since it blocks the trigger from moving to the rear when properly fit. The lug on the grip safety contacts the right-rear of the trigger bow and blocks it. When the grip safety is pushed in, this pivots the safety lug upward and allows the trigger to slide under the grip safety by-pass.

Shocker2000 likes this.
  11. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    New trigger should move smoothly and lived should fall out with gravity and gun tipped in proper position. If not, voice your concerns. If ONLY a trigger, and it fits smoothly, it wouldn't impact pull weight. Make certain it has correct pre and post travel. $90 to install a trigger?

12. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Not trying to be a Richard, but a function check when doing anything with a firearm after unloading it is a good habit to get into. Does not matter if the gun is brand new, or just put back together after cleaning. Hell after unloading it at the end of a carry.

13. Shocker2000

Apr 6, 2016
    Good call...

Also, do you have the factory trigger? Since it's a new gun, you might throw the factory trigger in and see if it makes a difference. I think stock, these guns have around 5lb trigger weight.

14. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

Great advice here . . . . . .

Johnny Johnston likes this.
  15. Dishow

Dishow New Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Thanks. I appreciate the response. Took to the range yesterday and I'll live with it. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm new to this so was expecting too much. Thanks again

wrmiller likes this.
  16. Shocker2000

Apr 6, 2016
    @Dishow - I wish that the gunsmith would have asked "what are you looking for?" I think part of being a good smith is understanding what the customer wants. There's a lot that goes into a trigger job on a 1911, but it's mostly the hammer/sear engagement, and not the trigger itself. But, if he wasn't around, and just had a part taped to a work-order stating "install Harrison trigger", you're kind of out of the feedback loop at that point.

As for a quick solution, @ZoidMeister's recommendation of the Cylinder & Slide light pull sear spring might get you close to your original expectations on trigger pull.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  17. Combat Weapon Systems

Combat Weapon Systems Gunsmith

Mar 31, 2019
    Changing out the trigger shouldn't change the trigger pull weight. It may change the trigger feel a little bit if it's a different design of trigger than what you had in it. Say a short flat trigger compared to a long curved trigger. If it got heavier after the change it must not to be fit well and dragging and binding causing the trigger pull to feel heavier. Also $90 to just fit a trigger is ridiculous. I charge $25.00 in my shop to fit an oversized trigger. If done well the trigger will not have any resistance moving inside the trigger track in the frame.

limbkiller and wrmiller like this.
  18. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Some triggers will have increased or decreased takeup (there's a tab for that) that will affect feel. Also, the overtravel screw if not set properly can give a different overall feel as well.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted