HAHAHA! At it again...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Sleepy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Sleepy

Sleepy Active Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I wonder, do these guys get it? I don't think they really do...but I love the line in the article where Rob says, "while others might be able to cast or hand file such a component, I'm certain no other gun company can reproduce this". He must not know much about some of the custom smiths on this and other boards.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/1/prweb9087755.htm

And now for only $7,450.00 you too can own a polished SS National Standard Deluxe. WOW! But hurry cause only 25 will be made this year! I did get a chance to meet these guys at the shot show this year, as well as many other true custom craftsmen. All of the triggers I felt were stagy and at least 6lbs. When I asked the head engineer there about it he said yes, they were about 6-7lbs. I asked him what kind of groups they were getting out of the polished stainless National Standard at fifty yards and while he wouldn't commit to a hard number he paused a long moment before saying sub 3.5".

Not me, I'm not buying it. I'd rather have a Rogers, Rodgers, Chambers, Harrison, Chen, Brian or anyone else...for that kind of money I want custom.

And did I mention that all four of the guns I picked up at shot had loose slide to frame fits? So, what happened to holding tolerances to .001"? Sorry, I'm just not buying it. Sure do wish someone, ANYONE, would get one of these into their shop for a careful measuring session cause that is sure to be interesting. It's easy to say great things about a gun when you are getting paid or not measuring and recording the details but proper measuring instruments don't typically lie.

Ok I'm done now.

2. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Wow, there are so many false statements in that article... I don't know where to begin.

3. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I picked up those same guns at SHOT and the slide to frame fit was the ONLY thing I was impressed with. Completely dry the slide felt like a Wilson feels with slide glide on it. It was very smooth and the tracks and rails were polished. That fit and the final finish stood out on these guns. These guys do know how to polish metal. Nothing else stood out to me. The beavertail fits of the guns on display all varied from very good to so so. The bushing fits were all different. Some were tight, others were not. They don't make their own barrels either and they fit these by CNC surface grinding. I pegged the triggers to be about 5 lbs. Their engineer told me yes, 4-5 lbs.

The following day, I spoke with Brian Zins who was in the Cabot booth about how they shot. I asked why they didn't have a gun on the line at Media Day to shoot? They said they applied for a range booth but it was too late. Brian was also "vague" about how they shoot. All he said was they shoot pretty good. I said how good is pretty good. He said.........pretty good. I was left with the impression that they weren't supposed to talk numbers.

I also spoke with Rob for about 20 minutes at Media Day. One thing I'm sure of.........he doesn't know much about guns or the gun industry. He was under the impression that they invented the front sight with the axial dovetail that goes in from the muzzzle end. I mentioned it was like a Pistol Dynamics sight. He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face. I said, Paul Liebenberg does those. He didn't know who I was talking about. (While I've never seen one, I understand that Ed Brown also did front sights like this.) Note: the Cabot front sight is not removable like the PD one. It is a tight dovetail that the sight is tapped into.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks for the story and the comments on the Cabots Kruzr.

5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A LOT of HOOPLA created by this company touting that they their guns would be the end all for the 1911 world. They've let people ogle them, handle them, and OOH & AHH over the slide fit. I have yet to see any real evidence of how their guns shoot. $5000 + depending on the model with no evidence of performance. Time to put up OR shut up.

6. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    How do you say it? Cuh-bō' or Ca'-but (cabbot)?

7. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Other manufacturer trying to make easy money.

8. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    the slides cycled nice and smooth, but the slide and frames that they had on hand showing that the one slide will fit on different frames was on the loose side (compared to what they are touting). the slide that Springfield built to fit on a single stack and hi-cap frame was fit much better and cost less than 1/5 the price of the Cabot.

as you can see in this photo, the grip safety isn't what one would expect from a high dollar 1911.

[​IMG]

and here's the photo of the front sight.
    [​IMG]

9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I like the front sight.
    GS fit looks like Fusion.
    What's up with the fir of the grips? Looks like a bit of overhang at the MSH pin.

10. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Looks to me as if a company decided to jump into the high end 1911 market without the benefit of having anyone on staff that knows anything about how a gun at this level should look when it's finished. It looks as if the marketing guy has his "fluff" together though. And really, isn't that what it's all about? Read Les Baer's description of his magazines once to see an example of extreme "fluff".

11. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Well, they'll probably learn the hard way and fail as a business. Seems their only market will probably be from the left-handed versions, but at that price-point, I certainly hope people wouldn't be that dumb!

12. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Those southpaws are pretty dumb, since they can't shoot right... :rofl2:

13. nolt

nolt Member

Aug 24, 2011
    COWBUTT

14. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    This whole Cabot crap is silly to me. Ugly and overpriced. And almost seems like they're scared to talk about or let anyone know how they shoot. :rolleyes2:

15. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Do we shoot all our guns? :lol: I'd like to see a cabot, but for now I am sure I would not consider buying it even if it was bellow $1K. It just does not have an appeal for me.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted