1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm beginning my exploration of 1911's. In astronomy, there was a time around Haley's Comet where manufacturers were pushing out so much product that quality control was non-existent. No one wants to buy a used scope from that time period - your chances of getting a lemon are just too great.

In looking to buy a used 1911 from a major player - Colt, Springfield, Les Baer, Dan Wesson, etc. is there a time period to avoid? Was there a period where a particular brand really hit its stride and produced quality not seen today?

If this is the wrong place to ask, I apologize and please move the thread.

Thanks for any insights.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
There was definitely a time frame to avoid Kimber, but cant remember which years I was told. For me its ANY Kimber year, but that's because of the sh*tty CS that I received trying to get my Micro 9 to feed and fire...a whole other story for another thread.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
While I am a Colt fan, avoid the timeframe of labor disputes, leaving unqualified employees assembling pistols. The newer ones are absolutely gtg. Not sure on dan wessons but do know at some point the early ones were built on cast frames. Not that it is an issue but worth noting. SAs, back a ways frames were built by Imbei , with the N serial numbers alaso assembled at Imbel. No issues I am aware of with Baers. I have no issue with cast frames or Imbel made SA 1911s. Have owned more than a few and all were good shooters

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I am a Colt fan, avoid the timeframe of labor disputes, leaving unqualified employees assembling pistols. The newer ones are absolutely gtg. Not sure on dan wessons but do know at some point the early ones were built on cast frames. Not that it is an issue but worth noting. SAs, back a ways frames were built by Imbei , with the N serial numbers alaso assembled at Imbel. No issues I am aware of with Baers. I have no issue with cast frames or Imbel made SA 1911s. Have owned more than a few and all were good shooters
Thanks! Do you recall when the labor disputes were?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts