1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going ahead and posting this as it's basically done (waiting on the correct front sight) and I want the new owner to have some input into the final finish. The beavertail was silver soldered on so the frame has to be coated, IE bluing or melonite on the frame would show the solder line even though it’s imperceptible in the white. Right now, the plan is two tone with a Chromium Nitride PVD frame and a Black DLC Upper and small parts. Or if the buyer would prefer it could get all Black DLC or I may even be persuaded into doing it in Cerakote.

Anyhow this started as an Israeli Surplus MkII import. All matching serial numbers. Barrel bore is in excellent shape and it's now a very accurate gun (10rds @ 25yds free hand in the pic below). It's had quite a bit of hand work to remove some serious toolmarks but there are a couple of small spots that were just too deep as can be seen in the photos. Import mark is discreet on the bottom of the dustcover.

Garthwaite Trigger
EE Hammer and Sear
Trigger is a clean 4lbs
Black VZ Palmswell Pro Slim Grips
C&S Recontoured Thumb Safety
Extended Slide Stop Reprofiled
C&S Extractor
New Magcatch
All new springs
Heinie Black Ledge Rear Sight
Plain Black Front Sight
Flush cut and 45 deg crown

I expect the new sight to be here in 10 days and once it’s fitted everything will get blasted and the gun will ship out for finishing the very next business day with an approximate 10-14 day turn around. That means you could have this in your hands o/a 15JAN20.

Gun will include 2 New Mecgar 15rd Magazines and ship in a plastic MTM box. Price is $1850 shipped to your FFL. (This includes any combination of the above-mentioned finishes)

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More Pics

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have done a bit of research on DLC and it seems to be, at least, as durable as hard chrome. Your opinion??

Gary
I honestly don't have enough first hand experience to answer your question. I just recently started using DLC on customer guns but it looks really good. I own two Colt CCUs in Ionbond and they seem to be wearing very nicely as well.

I think the general consensus is that the hardness of DLC is on par with, but the corrosion resistance is not as good as Hard Chrome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts