Hammer Falls with Safety on

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Bud White, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Bud White

Bud White Member

Sep 4, 2018
    So I went to change the Safety to a ambi style on a older Trophy match being a lefty I prefer it that way ..

So I put in the new safety and click hammer moves a bit and safety won't fully disengage till I fully cock hammer So I know the sear moved .. Now this was a new Thumb safety and I did not file on it yet . I was checking for fitment. thought ok this one won't work in here put in another new safety and same issue

SO put the stock safety back in and it disengages as you pull the trigger and drops the hammer all the way I haven't shot this one in awhile but I don't remember the issue..

At this point in time i'm thinking the sear is worn? So replacing the sear + hammer and using a new safety seems the way to go .am I thinking right here or am I missing something ?.. other wise the pistol is stock

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    The Thumb safety will only go in and out with the hammer cocked, when fitting it.
    This is normal.

Sounds like you need a new thumb safety.

3. Bud White

Bud White Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Guess I should have said it better hammer was at full cock every time..

I was safety checking it usually a new thumb safety won’t go in all the way these went right in no filing .. I’ve had one go in before no filing and worked thought I had got lucky again but no .

4. Crewchief

Crewchief Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2017
    From the description, it does sound like a sear, with a lower possibility that it may be the disconnector.

I've fitted several safeties, and I've never had a brand-new safety ever go in without some level of fitting. Not being a gunsmith, though, I'm not going to categorically agree that safeties must ALWAYS be filed before fitting correctly.

Personally, I'd look at a new sear. Depending on disposable income, I'd look at one of those combo kits from Brownells that has the hammer, sear, disconnector, and leaf spring that are all rated at a specific weight. The last I priced, they were around $200, but you're getting a kit that's designed to work together, not a bunch of parts that may or may not work.

FWIW

CC

5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I wouldn't overlook the mainspring especially if this has the ILS still installed. Even if it doesn't a weakened or compromised Main spring can let a fair amount of tension off your hammer and sear engagement. I also have one if these and recall having issues with a bad sear profile that didn't cause problems initially but wore out quite quickly. Its not out of the question for the sear angle to be wrong due to the above mentioned issues.

Crewchief and UBOATDOC like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted