1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my Ed Brown trigger for over 4 hours today trying to determine why I am getting hammer follow to the half cock notch.

I have been doing trigger work on 1911's for over 20 years and never had this problem . The darn thing would even follow when I had the trigger pull at 4.75 pounds! I am working to get a 3.25 pound trigger.

I am loading a dummy round off a mag when NOT holding the trigger down, releasing the slide, and the hammer drops to half cock. When holding the trigger down and releasing the slide the hammer does NOT fall.

I checked my sear to hammer hook engagement with the ink on the sear and using the hammer/sear engagement tool, couldn't be better. I adjusted the sear spring. I used two different triggers, thought the longer trigger was the problem.

So I put this project aside and let things rest. Later I assembled the gun without the grip safety and looked at things and noticed how close the left leg was dragging on the frame. Did a few tests as before and had the follow. Then I moved the sear spring over to the right and away from the frame, NOT one follow with the spring off to the right.

My question, since this is the very first time I encountered this problem:

What should I do to fix this? And is this a common problem or just a fluke? Pistol is a 3 weeks old Ed Brown Special Forces, that shoots extremely well.

Thanks for any input and advice.
sparx

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Was this the original spring or a replacement?

Do you have a spare or a spring from another gun to put in the gun?

Stoning the left side of the sear spring leg to provide clearance isn't cheating!

Before starting any trigger job I always have spare sears and springs on hand, cheap insurance!

Side note: I'm in the same boat with a Colt Commander, 38 Super. The hammer followed at times when cycling the slide. The previous owner totally botched a trigger job or replaced the original parts just to sell it.

In the process of diagnosing the hammer follow: The PARA hammer was replaced first. This is not a Colt pattern part! Along with the MIM sear.

Holding down the thumb safety causes the hammer to fall 100%! Anyway the last part to be replaced is the ambi-thumb safety that my friend want's replaced any way.

You'll figure it out!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the original spring, and I noticed the left edge has already been stoned, by the Ed Brown people. I do have another spring, did not solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Good find. Is the spring parallel to the grip frame? If the slot at the bottom of the grip was machined a bit crooked, I would adjust things at the bottom to straighten it out. Just an idea.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is the second spring also dragging on the left side?

If so, take enough off either spring to insure ample clearance.

If the hammer still follows you're on the wrong path.

Sear springs are cheap!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been at it for some hours. No improvement.

Thinking it is not the spring hitting the frame.

I have put the original sear back in after very light stoning and white ceramic stone polishing, the sear/hammer hooks are mating as good as I can ever get.

Replaced the sear spring, took a little off the left edge.

Anytime I adjust sear spring to get a pull below 4 pound pull it follows, sometimes follows above 4 pounds.

I am going to order a different new long trigger, I have a from new Nighthawk long in the gun now, but it followed yesterday with the Original Brown trigger in the gun.

Also I have well over .040" of trigger pretravel.

I think I may as well order a new Wilson hammer, I cannot see anything wrong with the Brown hammer, hooks are at .020" and I did not mess with that, saw no need to.

Never had this problem before.

I want to get a few sear springs too, what brand is good?
sparx

·
Registered
265 Posts
sparx: have you measured any of the sears your using? Tried another disconnect?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I put in a brand new Nighthawk disconnect, neither disconnect is protruding into the mag well.

The brown sear was replaced with a brand new EGW sear, which I have used several in the past, I did not measure eiher of the two sears. Each was very lightly stoned and polished.
sparx

·
Registered
821 Posts
1) Test it with and without the thumb safety

2) With the safety installed test with the safety pushed up.

3) Test with the safety pushed down.

Smiles,

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok
Been testing with thumb safety in and out, no workie.
I will do the other.
Thumb safety in or out when testing with safety on safe?
sparx

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok
So with the trigger pull at 4 pounds tested with grip safety in the gun, still follows. Only the disconnector is a non-original part.

Cannot test with thumb safety on and slide back.
Tested with grip safety engaged and not engaged, follows for both.

With trigger held back and running the test 3.25 pounds or 4 pounds NO FOLLOW.
sparx

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,285 Posts
Make sure your sear pin is straight and not bent. Also that it is a good fit to the pinhole (not loose)

If that doesn't work, I would try a new hammer. Your hooks may not be 89-90 degrees.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right.
Problem was solved by not using the nighthawk trigger. Gun just did not like it.

Used the original brown trigger, pull is now a crisp3 1/8 pounds about 1000 rounds fired with no issues.

Weird but the gun just did not like that nighhawk trigger.
sparx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts