Hammer following slide forward, how do I search old threads to see if this has ever been brought up

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Charles Vane, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Charles Vane

Charles Vane New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    A few days ago, my wife's Taurus PT1911 starting dropping the hammer whenever the slide is released. I tried to find where I could search old posts to find out more info; would like to avoid asking a repeated question.

Thanks for any help.

2. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Not holding the trigger back when it happens? Increase the tension on the center sear spring leaf or the left leaf if it occurs with the trigger pulled back.
    Or it could be deeper, a worn sear maybe.
    As always. eliminate the simple things first.

Charles Vane likes this.

3. Charles Vane

Charles Vane New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Yeah if I depress and hold the trigger while hitting the slide release, the hammer stays cocked everytime. If my finger is off of the trigger, sometimes it follows to half-cock, sometimes all the way down, and sometimes it stays put. I increased the tension on the left and center spring leaves and that helped, but still occasionally does it. So I need to check the sear, hammer, and disconnector next?

I'm afraid to load the gun with live ammo, I don't want it going full-auto on me :o.o:

4. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Hold the trigger shoe forward with your left hand finger and thumb then drop the slide, does it still follow?

Charles Vane likes this.
  5. Charles Vane

Charles Vane New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I wouldn't have thought of that. I held the trigger forward and dropped the slide 25 times, hammer stayed cocked everytime. That means the shock of the slide slamming is jarring the sear correct?

6. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Your trigger is bouncing back and tripping your sear.. Increase pressure on middle sear spring leg until hammer stops falling.

7. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Does the trigger have an over-travel adjustment screw?

Charles Vane likes this.
  8. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    You/she slamming the slide on empty?
    That is not recommended, it can beat up the engagement and lead to hammer follow.

First aid: Don't slam.
    Try loading the gun with one round in the magazine. If it doesn't fire, try two.

Since you have already increased sear spring force, you may have rounded off the engagement and be in the market for a new or recut hammer and/or sear.

Old style bullseye shooters would hold the trigger or the hammer back when loading to prevent slamfires. Not a commonly learned technique these days, too easy to get it wrong when being "tactical."

Charles Vane likes this.
  9. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    "If my finger is off of the trigger, sometimes it follows to half-cock, sometimes all the way down, and sometimes it stays put."

The 'all the way down' part is indicative of a serious safety issue requiring more than a tweak of the sear spring.

10. Charles Vane

Charles Vane New Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I apologize, I don't know how to reply to individual comments. Yes, the trigger has an adjustment screw, it's a Wilson. I may order a Wilson sear when I get off work.

I have an Auto-Ordnance 1911 that looked like it's been through a war. I mean it's really ragged out and the Taurus is only a year old. The other day, I dropped the slide on the AO on an empty chamber exactly 50 times and the hammer never followed once. Both handguns have the same Wilson trigger and Wilson hammer, the sear and disconnectors are both OEM though, could that make a difference?

Thanks everyone for the advice...

11. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
    Swapping parts is not the answer to a safety issue.
    I suggest you acquire knowledge of 1911 triggers first.
    Ideally you will be able to determine how and why the hammer
    is not always stopped by its half cock notch or shelf.
    You will also need to know how to determine if the thumb safety
    is correctly fit.
    Good luck. Its really not all that difficult.

Charles Vane and Greg45acp like this.
  12. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Dropping the slide on an empty chamber a few times to test proper function will not damage anything. Years of repeated abouse will.

Now placing a loaded round into a 1911 with known issues could cause a major problem.

Charles Vane likes this.
  13. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    Possibly, if the trigger adjustment screw is adjusted too far in it could contribute to the issue.

Charles Vane likes this.
  14. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
    "Possibly, if the trigger adjustment screw is adjusted too far in it could contribute to the issue."

Not in my experience.

15. Autonomous

Autonomous Turgid member

Jan 14, 2019
    OK, scratch that.

limbkiller likes this.
  16. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Dropping the slide on an empty chamber a few times to test proper function will not damage anything. Years of repeated abouse will.

Dropping on an empty chamber won’t damage the sear. It’s when the hammer falls to half cock that the damage is done unless your hammer is cut to prevent this. I still wouldn’t recommend doing this other than to test for proper function.

Charles Vane likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted