1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished replacing the mainspring housing and mainspring in my 1911. Everything went back together without any issues. The sear spring is flat on the frame and the tab is in the slot. As far as I can tell, the hammer strut is centered perfectly in the mainspring retainer cap. When I got it back together and went to function check it, I found that the hammer would not engage the sear and remain locked in the fully cocked position.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David, should I take the grip safety off and put the mainspring housing back in place and then replace the grip safety?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes. Watch the safety spring fly. When re assembling use a credit card to push the detent back in so you don’t mar the gun.

Put the mainspring housing pin in last.

David

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
As others pointed out...sounds like the sear leg on the sear spring is under the sear instead of over it.....re-assemble and look to make sure its correct before instaling the BTGS...easy fix...

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sear spring is out of place. Done that my self.

Its difficult for me to install the sear spring with the grip safety in place.
David
Been there done that.

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Never, and I say NEVER, try to remove and replace a sear spring without removing the grip safety.

You will get that issue every time.

Been there, done that, designed the tee shirt.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
When I have that kind of issue it is usually the sear finger of that gets between the frame the sear and binding up the sear where it won't let it move. May try and take apart and reassemble.
Sear spring is out of place. Done that my self.

Its difficult for me to install the sear spring with the grip safety in place.
David
As others pointed out...sounds like the sear leg on the sear spring is under the sear instead of over it.....re-assemble and look to make sure its correct before instaling the BTGS...easy fix...
Yup, yup, yup.

David, should I take the grip safety off and put the mainspring housing back in place and then replace the grip safety?
I keep a plastic MSH on hand when working on the back end of a 1911. After you drop the sear spring into the frame, slide the plastic MSH up about 3/4 of the way to hold the spring flat against the frame. Then install the grip and thumb safeties. Once those are firmly in place, use a rubber band to hold the grip safety in the depressed position. This keeps the sear spring in place. With the rubber band holding things together, you can slide out the plastic MSH and insert the proper one.

It's all in the sequence of operations.

Z

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If you want to take your MSH off without disassembling the grip safety etc.
Wrap the grip safety with masking tape to hold down the Grip Safety, that will retain the sear spring in proper location.
Then you can pull the MSH out work on it and re install etc.
Often when changing the MSH the sear spring will need some minor adjustment to keep the trigger how you had it. Due to slight variations in MSH etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts