1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,160 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fascinating to read a bit more about how you came to find yourself engraving firearms, Bert. I've long lusted after the works of Lisa Tomlin, Jeff Flannery, and Merlin Enright.

Based on everything you've shared here, you're cut from the same cloth.

I'm curious: would you consider yourself naturally "artistically gifted"? Have you studied and mastered drawing animals and similar forms in an art school setting? Or is your background more in tooling and mechanics?

Obviously, jewelry-making is an artistic craft, but it doesn't necessarily translate to the degree of artistic skill that your engravings exhibit. In other words, how'd you get so good? :giggle:

63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Beautiful

The way you lay it out reminds me of the way we lay out decorative wraps on fishing rods

Nylon thread however is much more forgiving
Basically the way I checker metal is an adaption of checkering wood.

63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Fascinating to read a bit more about how you came to find yourself engraving firearms, Bert. I've long lusted after the works of Lisa Tomlin, Jeff Flannery, and Merlin Enright.

Based on everything you've shared here, you're cut from the same cloth.

I'm curious: would you consider yourself naturally "artistically gifted"? Have you studied and mastered drawing animals and similar forms in an art school setting? Or is your background more in tooling and mechanics?

Obviously, jewelry-making is an artistic craft, but it doesn't necessarily translate to the degree of artistic skill that your engravings exhibit. In other words, how'd you get so good? :giggle:
I have been artistically inclined my whole life. I did a lot of private drawing and painting classes as a kid. Some art in high school and college. In high school all the guidance counselors and teachers pushed "STEM" saying you have to be "a doctor, engineer, biotech" college track. So I did all this advanced place (AP) math and science stuff. I was pretty good at this but it was really boring. As a senior I took a bunch of art just to fill my schedule as I only needed 1 class to graduate. The day I graduated my favorite art teacher approached me and said "I really wish you had taken art classes all the way through school. You're one of the most naturally talented artists to ever come through this school. "

I'm not a classically trained artist per se. Yes I can draw animals, people, scenes, etc paint, I do these as a way to get to the renderings in metal, which is my preferred canvas
Black Wood Art Font Circle
White Wood Font Guitar accessory Material property

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing a bit more about your background. It's unusual for someone who is also naturally gifted in "STEM" subjects to be such a talented artist.

There are only three things in my life I regret not being skilled in:

1. Firearms engraving
  2. Building custom 1911s
  3. Playing the guitar

Your works are truly beautiful. We're fortunate to have you here and sharing your works-in-progress with the community.

63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks so much for sharing a bit more about your background. It's unusual for someone who is also naturally gifted in "STEM" subjects to be such a talented artist.

There are only three things in my life I regret not being skilled in:

1. Firearms engraving
  2. Building custom 1911s
  3. Playing the guitar

Your works are truly beautiful. We're fortunate to have you here and sharing your works-in-progress with the community.
Most artwork that is pleasing contains the golden ratio, phi in the proportion of all the key elements. I believe the best artists understand this and are naturally inclined to see, understand and apply it instinctively. Filling areas in a canvas is often very much tied to geometry and the golden ratio. Often times when I encounter an unfamiliar canvas I start visualizing the canvas geometrically in my mind before I ever put a pencil on paper.
You'll notice in these pictures how I used geometry to create distinct areas of engraving and untouched plain steel. These types of designs really appeal to me and I feel they enhance the object and don't overpower it. I think it's quite pleasing to anyone who looks at it whether they know anything about art or not.
Tableware Everyday carry Wood Cutlery Knife

Font Metal Silver Rectangle Musical instrument

Sports equipment Metal Font Nickel Jewellery

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Most artwork that is pleasing contains the golden ratio, phi in the proportion of all the key elements. I believe the best artists understand this and are naturally inclined to see, understand and apply it instinctively. Filling areas in a canvas is often very much tied to geometry and the golden ratio. Often times when I encounter an unfamiliar canvas I start visualizing the canvas geometrically in my mind before I ever put a pencil on paper.
You'll notice in these pictures how I used geometry to create distinct areas of engraving and untouched plain steel. These types of designs really appeal to me and I feel they enhance the object and don't overpower it. I think it's quite pleasing to anyone who looks at it whether they know anything about art or not.
View attachment 1048470
View attachment 1048469
View attachment 1048471
I like that you talk about the use of negative space as an important element of the overall composition. You're work is marvelous, and I can't wait to have a chance to see more of it, and in person.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I have been artistically inclined my whole life. I did a lot of private drawing and painting classes as a kid. Some art in high school and college. In high school all the guidance counselors and teachers pushed "STEM" saying you have to be "a doctor, engineer, biotech" college track. So I did all this advanced place (AP) math and science stuff. I was pretty good at this but it was really boring. As a senior I took a bunch of art just to fill my schedule as I only needed 1 class to graduate. The day I graduated my favorite art teacher approached me and said "I really wish you had taken art classes all the way through school. You're one of the most naturally talented artists to ever come through this school. "

I'm not a classically trained artist per se. Yes I can draw animals, people, scenes, etc paint, I do these as a way to get to the renderings in metal, which is my preferred canvas View attachment 1048453 View attachment 1048455
The schoolin' weren't fer nothin'! You used the phrase "per se" properly and that's good stuff.

I'm glad you followed the career path you did but to be fair, if those aren't the hands of a surgeon doing that work then I simply do not understand the term "hands of a surgeon" as well as I do the term "per se"(It's Latin, translating loosely to "in and of itself", so it's not exactly an easy one to pin down).

Thank you, Sir. It's beyond beautiful what you do and I need to figure out what gun I need engraved, beat down to its proper station in life, then engraved again.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I have been around the high-end shotgun world my entire life and watched many guys hand checkering on woodstocks. I have always loved the craftsmanship involved. However I have never seen anyone take it to the level that you have on the front strap of a 1911. That is truly some masterful craftsmanship.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts