1911 Firearm Addicts banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Am I missing it , I’m not seeing initials or an autograph any were on that engraving ? You do sign your work somewhere? Just curious as I’m used to looking at Belgian Browning’s and such.
It will be. I always do except on rollmark recuts

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have been artistically inclined my whole life. I did a lot of private drawing and painting classes as a kid. Some art in high school and college. In high school all the guidance counselors and teachers pushed "STEM" saying you have to be "a doctor, engineer, biotech" college track. So I did all this advanced place (AP) math and science stuff. I was pretty good at this but it was really boring. As a senior I took a bunch of art just to fill my schedule as I only needed 1 class to graduate. The day I graduated my favorite art teacher approached me and said "I really wish you had taken art classes all the way through school. You're one of the most naturally talented artists to ever come through this school. "

I'm not a classically trained artist per se. Yes I can draw animals, people, scenes, etc paint, I do these as a way to get to the renderings in metal, which is my preferred canvas View attachment 1048453 View attachment 1048455

You also would’ve made one heck of a surgeon Bert!

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,589 Posts
Wow, you do nice work. I have artistic ability, but I've never engraved. Well done.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thank you gents. I start with a simple layout defining the borders and master lines of the pattern. After cutting these lightly witha narrow chisel, I set dividers to the width necessary to render the specified lines per inch. Each line is laid out with the dividers off the previous line and cut lightly with a narrow chisel. Once the full pattern is cut I use a 90' square chisel to slowly deepen and widen each line until every diamond forms a point. At the same time I continually deepen the borders as well until everything looks right. View attachment 1048270
View attachment 1048273
View attachment 1048271
View attachment 1048272
I can scratch that off my list of things I wonder how in the heck it is accomplished.

63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Very nice, that checkering looks like something off a Manton flintlock.

You CAN. I have seen a lot of engraved guns with decent scrollwork but the wildlife and portraits should have stayed home.
Often times it's the budget of the job that causes very simplistic animal scenes. I would rather turn down a job if the customer's budget won't allow for a minimum standard than put something out there that doesn't reflect my ability.

63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Dang you have incredible skill! Yes I agree with those above calling for more photos and videos. Took a look at your website and I want to see more! Haha, but then again you have shown enough that I bet you do not struggle with demand. Great work!
I do ok...😉

41 - 57 of 57 Posts