Hand cut or CNC checkering

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ontarget1911, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    mnlmnl

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    You REALLY need to invest in a better camera......

I prefer CNC cut checkering. I do not care for the uneven look as on factory Les Baers.

3. dnuggett

dnuggett Your ad goes here for $20/month or $200/year Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    The last one I had checkered I went the CNC route. Personally I don't have a preference one way or another until you get to full customs. With those I'd prefer hand checkered as a matter of personal taste. That said even at that level of smithing some folks don't do as good of job as a machine/program. Where I'd want the personal touch is filing down some of the points.

4. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    I had hand done on the CUstom Shop Springfield I had. Deb talked me out of machine checkering for one of their builds. However, they did a perfect job on the checkering.

In photos, I typically cannot tell. If I was gonna send of a 1911 to get checkering done (on a non custom 1911) - I'd just get machine chckering

5. Jerry Keefer

Jerry Keefer New Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Hello Jess..I watched this thread/debate? on the other forum.. I commend you for your skill...I cannot, nor will I try to hand checker. I just don't have the skill level, and I will not turn out a second rate job..I know my limitations, so to speak..One thing the readers should consider..Any mill or CNC worth it's salt is manufactured to ISO standards..& ABEC Grade 7 matched spindle bearings.. No human being can match that accuracy using hand tools...I do a lot of machine checkering, done properly, it is flawless and very cosmetically appealing..Again, looks O.K from what I can see in the pic.. You have me beat when it comes to a file..:)

Jerry

6. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    You have to respect a perfect hand checkering job, when done right, it's my preference.

7. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Great thoughts. Anyone have any guesses as to which in the pics is hand and which one CNC?\

Jess

8. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Last one looks like it is the hand cut one.....the points like higher and more sharp

9. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    lkjlkhjlhj

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  10. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    Yes, I have held a TRP and a Pro. The Pro isn't as sharp. When I ordered my SACS gun years ago, Deb told me that the hand checkering isn't typically as sharp as machine checkering

11. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I can tell you that out of the first posting of the 5 pictures, the first 3 starting from the top down were taken with a Nikon D40 :eyebrows:

12. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Yeah I know the pic properties too

13. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Never mind.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  14. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011

I don't believe you Jerry, we need pictures. :biggrin1:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted