STI Happy New Gun Day

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by Flight Medic, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Flight Medic

Flight Medic Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Just picked up my first (and most likely only single-stack) STI 1911, the G.I. Model. A seller on Gunbroker had two NOS models with consecutive serial numbers left in inventory, and I scored one of them.

[​IMG]
    (I literally just noticed the faint “idiot scratch” while posting this photo. Apparently STI put it there, the gun was sealed in plastic upon arrival)

[​IMG]

I vascillated between this and a SA Mil-Spec, but since I live in Dallas I decided to show my state pride and went with Texas steel...plus I liked the fact it was Made in USA (I did call STI prior to buying this to verify that this is NOT an Armscor model). This is really nice for a no-frills, mil-spec 1911. Lockup is solid, everything is super-tight (slide to frame, barrel bushing, etc)...this was definitely a hand-fit pistol. It’s too bad that STI is no longer making these (or ANY single stack 1911’s).

I’m really digging the traditional look, and I’m not gonna change a thing on it. Well, I may paint the front sight since black-on-black doesn’t work well for my aging eyes anymore.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share. Range report coming soon.

~FM

retrieverman, gaijin, LPRoad and 12 others like this.
  2. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    If it came like that you should reach out to STI. Their customer service/warranty is top notch.

3. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    You should replace it with a gold bead for style or fiber optic for performance.

KTXdm9 and TheCollector like this.
  4. Oily_Boogie

Oily_Boogie Member

May 29, 2018
    Congratulations on your GI. I'm dealing with the same situation with regards to the sights on my series 70 Colt.

I'm going to go with a good bead front and a GI rear with a generous knotch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    That's cool, I didn't know they made any GIs. Thats a great shooter or base gun.

6. Flight Medic

Aug 5, 2018
    Ive heard that about STI's CS. Im not real concerned about the scratch, every true Government Issue model has the same scratch because the Army actually taught recruits to drag the slide stop up the frame to assure it got underneath the plunger. All it needs now is an arched MSH with a lanyard loop. LOL

7. Flight Medic

Aug 5, 2018
    I like the gold bead idea!! You have any recommended pistolsmiths that would hook me up?

8. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    John Harrison will fix you up with a gold bead.

Ed Brown sells a nice one of its dimensions fit the STI slide cut

Oily_Boogie likes this.
  9. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    If you don't own a sight pusher I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

John Harrison is a very good recommendation.

10. Flight Medic

Aug 5, 2018
    The front sight is welded on. A sight pusher would do me no good anyway.

11. Oily_Boogie

Oily_Boogie Member

May 29, 2018
    I doubt it's welded. Most GI style front sights are pinned. You will have to decide if you want a simple swap for another pinned sight or have the smith cut a dovetail and use a standard sight. I'd do the latter, because even a tough as nails gold bead sight can get dinged up, and it's then easier to replace.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

12. Flight Medic

Aug 5, 2018
    Shows you how much I know.

I think I'm just gonna leave it exactly as-is. I can always buy another 1911 with enhancements already added by manufacturer (dovetail fiber optic veeblefetzer, or extended skeletonized aluminum do-jigger).

This one has beauty in its simplicity. If I can't see the front sight well enough then I'll just have to move the target a bit closer. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions, boys. Much appreciated.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted