close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Harrison Is a Master

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by polizei1, Aug 22, 2011.

1. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Ok I shot my second USPSA match today, which also concluded my "dirty EMP" test. I'm actually not sure if I should clean it or continue doing the test. I'm leaning more towards cleaning it, primarily because it is my CCW gun. I don't believe this gun will malfunction, but it's been dirty for a few months now!

You can see my original threads here:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349649&highlight=harrison+EMP
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353729&highlight=harrison+EMP

I have a total of ~2,100 rounds through it, ~1,600 since it's been refinished, and ~1,100 the gun has not been cleaned, except the barrel. When my rear sight came loose, I wanted a clean barrel to ensure accuracy (just in case). Other than that, nothing has been touched. I re-lubed it with Hoppes #9 whenever I felt the need, usually every couple hundred rounds.

I can say with 100% truth that the only failure I've had was 2 FTE in the first magazine. Other than that, the gun literally has had ZERO malfunctions. I chose John because of his philosophy, "The gun has to run."

Some people have responded and ask why I did this, or why other people do it. I can't vouch for them, but for me it's a test of endurance and equipment failure. If something is going to jam, break, or malfunction, it's most likely going to be when it's dirty. My philosophy is if the gun will run with debris and gunk in it, it will run when it's clean.

Now my pictures certainly are not the best. I was in a hurry and the room is a bit dark. Click for high res.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Good photos, and glad to hear it's running well.

Getting the little 1911s to run correctly is a trick in and of itself. Getting them to run dirty is a whole other thing. It takes a very particular set of skills, and a strong commitment to excellence, to build a gun that maintains that level of performance.

A good way for a 1911 'smith to prove his worth is to make a little 1911 run well, and it sounds like this one does.

Looking forward to reading how it does even further down the line. :smilie:

Andy

3. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Good pictures!! And good things to hear about the EMP. My comp guns dont get cleaned much of any and relubed after every 1k(im using wilson ultima lube). However, my carry guns(that im actually carrying) get cleaned after they get shot.

4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Well I decided to clean it and detail strip it today. It took me a few hours but it's back to spotless...until Sunday that is. LOL

5. iForget

iForget New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Hoppes # 9 is not a traditional Lube. Or did you use a Hoppes brand lube? Not sharpshooting you.. but you are the second person I have "Talked" to in thepast two days who "Lubed" their firearm with "#9". Its a solvent, and does not work like CLP or REMOIL.

I also have an EMP .40 and its quickly taken over for my daily carry. I am glad you like it and that it is very durable / forgivable.

iF

6. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
  7. iForget

iForget New Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Well look at that. Neat. I just use the #9 Solvent. I thought there might have been a lube as I stated.. but didn't know what the OP was using.

The other fellow used the "Solvent" as he cleaned his guns, he thought it was "CLP" and was confused, as to he kept running into "Stoppages" and "Malfunctions" in his 10/22.

Cool Quack! Thanks for the link.

iF

8. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Its a never ending cycle brother!! See if theres any state matches up near you. I will make a trip up for one of those!

9. djackson

djackson Member

Aug 18, 2011
    this is simply the nicest EMP I have seen.

10. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks for the compliment DJ. And yes I use both Hoppes solvent and the lubricant. I bought Slide-Glide Lite at the beginning of the year but I haven't used it yet (except on my swinging chair! Works great LOL).

Does anyone have a guide on how to apply it? I obviously have to test it first, but should I be using that rather than oil for carry/competition? I know not to use it in the cold weather.

I leave it fairly wet for carry, but I wipe off any excess. Also, since the matches are only ~100-150 rounds, I haven't had any issues with it burning off.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  11. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    What he said :thumb:

12. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks, but haven't you seen the one he did for his daughter? That IMHO, is the best looking EMP I've seen, but I think mine is the second best. :thumb:

13. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Love the emp! Simply one of the finest compact 3" 1911's there is. Yours is no exception, John did a great job with your pistol. I almost sent mine in to him but went to the custom shop instead. Mine has been relegated as my edc and it's 100% reliable. Without jumping back to the other forum to do a search, is the finish ionbond? I'm just about finished tweaking with mine...I think :lol: Keep posting the range updates, excellent info and a beautiful emp to boot!

14. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks, yes it is Ionbond. I couldn't be happier with the gun, it's everything I wanted in a carry gun and I think it has just enough, but not "too fancy." It's a gun that's meant to run and run, and it does just that. It already has some surface wear, and some nicks, etc. You can clearly tell this isn't a safe queen, and that's the way I like it!

15. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Big +1 on that! I've never owned a pistol or revolver that I haven't shot..and never will. I've not the time on earth for collections and no person to hand them on to when I go. Btw, I like those small character marks and a well worn patina, it's classy lookin :nod:

16. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Very nice,........

17. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

I must say, I've seen your EMP a few times and every time I do, my wallet runs and hides. That is probably the nicest looking EMP I've seen. I love my EMP, I absolutely loath the bi-tone look for a carry gun. I probably should just face the fact that I'll have to part and send it in for Ionbond and a few other things. Very nice indeed!

18. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    It's ok, it got the "better" of me as well. All I had planned was a trigger/rear sight. :laugh:

19. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    I know this all too well. It seems that browsing the sites with accompanied photos gets me thinking everytime. I keep telling myself..1 more trip! I guess that has a direct correlation to my forum ID :tongue:

20. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I don't regret it at all, but now that I'm getting into USPSA, I really do wish I could have a dedicated carry gun and a dedicated competition gun. I love my EMP and it's a hell of a gun, but I often wonder how a magwell, FO sight, a longer sight radius, and fine tuning the pistol (trigger, springs, etc.) could help me in USPSA (like an STI Trojan).

However, the other side of this is that I shoot what I carry, and it's great practice. I know from shooting USPSA with it that I can probably hit most of my shots when it would count. That's far more "training" than I suspect 90% of the population probably has.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted