1911 Firearm Addicts banner
101 - 120 of 164 Posts

· Registered
882 Posts
Bottom line. These prices aren’t at pre covid yet. I was just talking to @CJM636 the other day about how funny it is to look back at price the points of 1911s that I’d be willing to purchase as recently as 2019. In 2018 I bought an unfired vbob for $1050. A year before that a mint les Baer p2 with the 1.5 inch guarantee for $1600. Now if we are saying the market has totally changed and there is a “new floor” then perhaps this is it but I think it would be too early in the “new market” to tell.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
This thread is enlightening and I honestly appreciate discourse and points of view that maybe I have never considered or simply context that I had never applied or considered.
I have generally accepted that the things on a national, global, economic, etc. level are beyond my control. I can only react and I can only control what I may. Whether there is complete chaos or a blissful return to the '50's for America, that's out of my hands. I'm happy with what I have done with the things that I can control and as an individual, whatever that means to you, what else is there to do? The inherent satisfaction of setting a goal and then setting about getting it is quite the reward itself.
Man I really do think too much....
I've taught all my children my view on setting goals and I've pounded them with as much financial advice as they're willing to listen to. I've also warned them against being a victim or blaming their troubles on somebody else. They've all turned out really well and I couldn't be prouder of them. In my naivete I also assumed that everyone else does this as well but I've come to the realization that that is not the case. Over the last few years I've come to the conclusion that I don't see things the same way as most others. I've always kind of felt this difference but I just figured I was looking at things incorrectly. Regardless of those insecurities I've always trusted my gut feelings and went against the tide most of the times and it's seemed to work out pretty well.

I started reading books again a few years ago and was amazed at the amount of great information that is available. I couldn't figure out why this was not taught in schools since it really could be life changing. I've reached the conclusion that our leaders and our schools have failed us completely. So for all you Millenniums and younger generations who are struggling to get ahead there is an abundance of sound guidance available and the day you decide to take control over your life I guarantee it'll change for the better.

Where to start? Hard to say but I'll start with the last three books I've read that I wish I would have read 40 years ago.

The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
Baby Steps Millionaires by Dave Ramsey

It's easy to do and it's easy not to do. Your choice.

· Registered
149 Posts
If prices or demand for the 1911 fade it’s because 1911’s are not for amateurs. I have no family members and only two friends I would recommend a 1911 platform to for a self defense handgun, and the two friends already own them. I know my family members won’t train, and you can’t expect someone who only changes their engine oil after the red light comes on to properly lube anything.

· Registered
Staccato P, Staccato C2, Dan Wesson Vigil 45, Dan Wesson ECO 9mm, Dan Wesson Vbob 45
450 Posts
Definitely crazy times. Eggs are through the roof, but gasoline is leveling out and used cars are finnaly starting to be realistically priced. Ammo is becoming more realistic. But employers are also still raising wages to compete for labor, but nothing like 6-12 months ago. Kinda proves that supply/demand reigns supreme, but it's hard to judge what's coming down the road because prices on all goods are still all over the place.

I've seen a few worked over colts and baers posted on here lately that I thought were very fairly priced, but not what I would consider at the bottom. Had they been, I probably would have said the three magic words on one of them.

On the local classifieds site, I still see alot of overpriced items that aren't moving, even at retailers. I listed a Dan Wesson locally (I have zero feedback here, and CDA escrow fees would put me below what I want to take for it) that was priced very fairly against used Dan Wesson's that are listed at retail. I've had zero interest. Is it because people around my area don't know about Dan Wesson, don't have the money, or are waiting for desperate sellers (which I'm not) to go even lower? Hard to say.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Everything is down this year. Rolex went crazy high and has come back down, but not to pre covid levels. I believe this has been the bubble of everything. I think prices on everything still have a little way to come down. But who knows in this upside down clown world.
I collect watches as well and while I strongly believe parts of that market (steel sports watches from patek, AP, rolex) have been in a bubble for a couple years I dont think its exactly the same. those watches were selling at multiples of new MSRP where most times somebody here sells a custom 1911 they are asking not too far up or down from what these smiths charge new but you just get to avoid the multi year wait (or longer). big difference from a Yost or burton being for sale for 14k which is around new cost but not available new vs a patek 5990 for sale at 3x msrp because they are not available new. There for sure have been a few bubbles, just not in guns.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
This entire conversation I find a bit bizarre. People are constantly complaining about how long the waits are from certain top builders like Yost, Burton, KGB, Rogers etc etc etc. But at the same time complaining that when the thing they want comes for sale at it can be had for within 10% of build cost up or down they are prices too high ? Seems odd to me. Seems to me if one really wants something and it's not available paying even 10% ABOVE build cost is a gift.... Unless they never really wanted such item in the first place.

· Registered
278 Posts
After collecting and shooting firearms for the better part of five decades, my collection is being liquidated by a FFL who is also a member here. We put a bit less than half of my collection into the back of his SUV not that long ago, so he can start the process of marketing and selling it. The other half, minus a few tools and sentimental pieces, will be picked up in July. I expect it will all be sold by the end of the decade.

Why so long? No hurry to sell and no need to flood the market. For example, the market will not readily absorb a dozen full-house each of Harrison Custom, Gemini Customs, and Yost pistols in a few months. The market will absorb one or two pieces each month. By being patient, prices will not collapse. If we have to ride out the upcoming recession, we will do so as those pistols are eating no food.

Or sell when everyone else is buying, and buy or hold when no one is buying.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
This entire conversation I find a bit bizarre. People are constantly complaining about how long the waits are from certain top builders like Yost, Burton, KGB, Rogers etc etc etc. But at the same time complaining that when the thing they want comes for sale at it can be had for within 10% of build cost up or down they are prices too high ? Seems odd to me. Seems to me if one really wants something and it's not available paying even 10% ABOVE build cost is a gift.... Unless they never really wanted such item in the first place.
They're the same people who say "if this was a 9mm I'd be all over it", "man if that had an ambi safety you'd already have my money", or "dude if I didn't just buy 3 Yost's and a Burton you'd be shipping that to me".

· Registered
Staccato P, Staccato C2, Dan Wesson Vigil 45, Dan Wesson ECO 9mm, Dan Wesson Vbob 45
450 Posts
They're the same people who say "if this was a 9mm I'd be all over it", "man if that had an ambi safety you'd already have my money", or "dude if I didn't just buy 3 Yost's and a Burton you'd be shipping that to me".
Please expound on how that is some complaining about the price? The majority of those posts are more a compliment on the owners gun or help with a bump/keeping it at the top of the listings.

And for anyone that just bought 3 Yosts and a Burton? That's a flex, not a price complaint.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
After collecting and shooting firearms for the better part of five decades, my collection is being liquidated by a FFL who is also a member here. We put a bit less than half of my collection into the back of his SUV not that long ago, so he can start the process of marketing and selling it. The other half, minus a few tools and sentimental pieces, will be picked up in July. I expect it will all be sold by the end of the decade.

Why so long? No hurry to sell and no need to flood the market. For example, the market will not readily absorb a dozen full-house each of Harrison Custom, Gemini Customs, and Yost pistols in a few months. The market will absorb one or two pieces each month. By being patient, prices will not collapse. If we have to ride out the upcoming recession, we will do so as those pistols are eating no food.

Or sell when everyone else is buying, and buy or hold when no one is buying.
Man that had to be a tough day. I'd love to see what you got!

· Registered
4,074 Posts
Please expound on how that is some complaining about the price? The majority of those posts are more a compliment on the owners gun or help with a bump/keeping it at the top of the listings.

And for anyone that just bought 3 Yosts and a Burton? That's a flex, not a price complaint.
My take was the people complaining about the wait (not price) really have no intention of actually buying one. Same as the people who compliment or bump a for sale thread have no intention of buying the gun. Just me being a dick.

· Registered
450 Posts
My take was the people complaining about the wait (not price) really have no intention of actually buying one. Same as the people who compliment or bump a for sale thread have no intention of buying the gun. Just me being a dick.
Appreciate the honesty lol. I take it as we are here because we admire the same thing. You can ooh and ahh over it in a general discussion thread or a for sale post. it's more a general appreciation for the gun than anything else.

I've seen more (at least it seems) wait time complaints lately from people that already ponied up a deposit and can't reap the instant gratification from buying in the classifieds.

· Registered
11,334 Posts
How many people wish they had bought this in 2020, I was googleing one night and was shocked at 2018 and 2019 full house custom prices, they are up 50% from these levels

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Man I really do think too much....
I've taught all my children my view on setting goals and I've pounded them with as much financial advice as they're willing to listen to. I've also warned them against being a victim or blaming their troubles on somebody else. They've all turned out really well and I couldn't be prouder of them. In my naivete I also assumed that everyone else does this as well but I've come to the realization that that is not the case. Over the last few years I've come to the conclusion that I don't see things the same way as most others. I've always kind of felt this difference but I just figured I was looking at things incorrectly. Regardless of those insecurities I've always trusted my gut feelings and went against the tide most of the times and it's seemed to work out pretty well.

I started reading books again a few years ago and was amazed at the amount of great information that is available. I couldn't figure out why this was not taught in schools since it really could be life changing. I've reached the conclusion that our leaders and our schools have failed us completely. So for all you Millenniums and younger generations who are struggling to get ahead there is an abundance of sound guidance available and the day you decide to take control over your life I guarantee it'll change for the better.

Where to start? Hard to say but I'll start with the last three books I've read that I wish I would have read 40 years ago.

The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
Baby Steps Millionaires by Dave Ramsey

It's easy to do and it's easy not to do. Your choice.
It would be hard for me to relate any more, but maybe from a different perspective or different "goal", for lack of a better term. I don't know anyone that has done the things I have done or sees things quite the way I do. I know a lot of people that wanted to get out of the very rat race we were in. We did it. When we did it 100% of our family and friends said we were either crazy, we'd be back in a year or they commended the audacity to do what so many talk about. Even the supportive ones were shocked. We put our financial future entirely in our hands and it worked out for us, though it of course took twists and turns that we didn't anticipate, just like everyone else. I don't know that many want exactly what we want, but we set to getting it and looking back, I could have done it in my 20's instead of my early 30's, but I am very thankful that I didn't wait until my 40's or 50's.....or not at all. The only people that can sink us financially are ourselves. No one else has a stake in it.

I have known some people that want to be millionaires and some of them have actually set their minds to doing so and are either there or well on their way. I also know a lot of people that are in virtually the same situation, even living in the same apartment in some cases, in their mid to late 40's that they were in their mid 20's. Like you said, it was easy to do and easy not to do. I have advised my son that he can live like we do, on Manhattan Island or anywhere in between. I think he is currently leaning toward "anywhere in between" and he's out there getting it. The things he may control he will and the things that are out of his hands are indeed out of his hands. Where he takes his life is entirely up to him. If he puts his life in the hands of others, he will get what he is given. If he sits in a rut, he will reap all of that as well.

I turned 30 in '08. My dad's funeral was the day before my 30th and of course that is very personal, but it was the single most shocking moment of my life and I really turned over a new leaf. I learned a lot from the financial ruin that came that year and the following. A stagnant real estate market opened the door for us to make the move we made and add property at absurd prices in the following few years. For the record, I'm speaking of empty space in Klamath County, OR and I make no pretense about being some sort of real estate mogul. It is still cheap compared to any city, but in '13 & '14 people couldn't give away decent property, much less desert scrub. It is amazing the property that we could consider "free" if we simply consider the cost of living in Portland that was removed 10+years ago. Not making a rent or mortgage payment in years is even more liberating than I thought it would be and not just financially. The lessons that my son learned here have been priceless and I'm happy to say that he is ready to succeed or fail on his own terms.

· Registered
7,246 Posts
How many people wish they had bought this in 2020, I was googleing one night and was shocked at 2018 and 2019 full house custom prices, they are up 50% from these levels

I know that I wish I had seen it back then and grabbed it! Just about never see one of his guns listed these days

Reactions: FWoo45

· Registered
7,246 Posts
Post a Yost, Burton or Rogers 1911 and it will sell in moments - I dont think folks are complaining about those.

There are folks who paid double for Garthwaite guns & yes his prices pretty much doubled after his passing and this is a bubble, paid top dollar for Kazros or whatever his name is, paying $7k for multiple nighthawks and they want their money back now that times are hard - guess what they can't get it back and they will only lose more as time goes by.

People trying to sell Reid builds at the same price or higher are in for a rude awakening, Reid's wait time is nowhere near as Ned's, Chuck's or Jason's people will wait and get what they want from Jeremy directly rather than pay crazy money for someone elses gun.

Reactions: cgff and MGBD

· Registered
278 Posts
Man that had to be a tough day. I'd love to see what you got!
It actually was quite relaxing to load fifty-plus firearms and accessories into the SUV. The process of winnowing the collection down to "stay versus go" was hard. For example, there are five custom 1911s wearing pre-1989 elephant ivory grips with the paperwork. I kept only one of those, a Harrison Peerless. The rest, including a one-off Ed Brown that went to Wilson for some work and then to Turnbull for bluing and case-coloring hardening, went down the road. Once those decisions were made, it was easy.

101 - 120 of 164 Posts