Has the Lunacy Going On Caused You to Change or Modify Your Carry Choices?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nalajr, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Danny Topp

Danny Topp Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2020
    image.jpg I have carried this before the kimber but usually in colder weather

Lineman1982 likes this.
  2. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    5 shot .460
    Concussion knocks them off their feet and sounds like a bomb going off in the local area.
    :)

3. Danny Topp

Jun 6, 2020
    image.jpg This requires a parka

wrmiller, cgff and Glock2740 like this.
  4. ferretray

ferretray Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Staying with my Colt LW Commander .45.
    for ccw.
    Gonna re-dedicate to carrying a spare mag.
    Actually considering a long gun for the truck.

Lineman1982 likes this.
  5. Songcatcher

Songcatcher Nose to the grindstone

Mar 15, 2018
    Bout to switch over from a plastic 9mm with extra mag to a 357 mag revolver with a pocketful of shells and a couple speed strips. If I have to stop someone I want it to be over quick, and I want their friends to see how ugly its gonna be.

6. Danny Topp

Jun 6, 2020
    Double check your insurance

7. Songcatcher

Songcatcher Nose to the grindstone

Mar 15, 2018
    After all the videos I've been watching lately that show how hard it is to stop someone with a 9 mm is why I want to go for a bigger, faster projectile. Am I wrong in my thinking?

8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Don't put too much faith in what others think. They won't be there to save you if/when things go sideways.

Having said that, I have my own reasons for carrying a 10mm... :)

Rick McC., 1L26 and Lineman1982 like this.
  9. Danny Topp

Jun 6, 2020
    From what I’ve heard and seen reloads and multiple shots don’t help you when a lawyer is involved,so stopping power should first involve a lot of research

10. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    45 acp has been stopping people for a long time . Nothing wrong with 9mm and good defensive ammo either . You're going to get plenty of opinions . I personally like the 45 because it's big and slow , bullets tend to stay in target expending it's energy . 44 special is another of my favorites . I also believe in awareness of surroundings . Best fight is the one you avoided .

jakebrake and Songcatcher like this.
  11. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    If I was an aggressive DA, and someone shot someone with a pistol modified with even just sights, I'd paint that person as a aggressive individual modifying their guns to be a more efficient killer. Not that unreasonable of a scenario to imagine.

12. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    ?????....so you are saying that stopping power is something a lawyer will jump on? That "oh, you shouldn't have shot him/her with a .44 magnum you should have used a .380 so we are suing for excessive caliber use"???

Not sure your point here....

First and foremost...an Attorney will sue in either State or Federal Court....usually civilly for $$$...and the issue won't be what caliber was used, it will be whether the shooter should have shot to begin with...in other words (under the Federal yardstick case of Graham vs. Connor)...was the shooter in fear for his/her life or serious physical injury or that of a 3rd party or the threat thereof? Then it will be evaluated on whether that particular State has a "castle doctrine" or "stand your ground" doctrine. It will not be about what caliber was used...that is irrelevant.

Having been in LE for numerous years I have never seen any lawsuits demonizing a shooter as uber-aggressive because he/she had a light trigger, or a large caliber, or used reloads, or shot multiple times (which if you did, would be 1 count per shot in a conviction)....what has been seen is whether the shooter should have taken the shot or not....

Do you have other information that would shed light on your statement? I'm curious....

wrmiller likes this.
  13. Danny Topp

Jun 6, 2020
    image.jpg image.jpg
    I meant really good ammo properly tested determines stopping power,not if it’s a 380 versus a 44 mag.i watched all the real world ballistic tests before I decided on what I could carry all the time without printing too badly.I was surprised that 38 spec.would be enough with the right ammo.I can get away with carrying everywhere without a metal detector,so if you believe in fate the one time you had to disarm yourself possibly the last.

Attached Files:

14. Danny Topp

Jun 6, 2020
    image.jpg You tube for the testing.Again it’s not what you’d like to carry it’s what you can always carry.

15. Danny Topp

Jun 6, 2020
    I went over your post again,I have to do that sometimes,so many different people have said that reloads are a strike against you,if you shoot in self defense,so naturally I stopped using reloads,being a hardcore reloader since h.s,this made me break my rule about factory when I got my CCW in cook county Illinois in 14.Its the legal part about losing all your money to prosecutors like Kim Gardner or Foxx that makes me call my CCW a LRO.

16. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Ahhh...ok, i’m tracking now...combination of good “stopping” power and concealability...agree...nice snubby...i have a s&w 640 pro as a backup...great little pistol on an ankle holster or AIWB...

17. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
    Spot on, I'd be worried about carrying extra ammo in the car and some on me.

jakebrake likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted