1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Have prices hit their peak and stabilized ?

• Yes

Votes: 74 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 45.6%
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seeing a lot of really nice firearms sitting in the classifieds for a lot longer than I have seen over the past few months and even in my local gun shops pistols seem to be selling much slower all the sudden. I went to a shop this past weekend, they are high volume dealer and they were telling me that things have slowed down quite a bit , ammunition has not been selling out so they’re finally getting a surplus.
What do you guys and girls think ? Do you think that we will start seeing ammunition prices come down and firearms availability becoming better or do you think this is a blip on the radar?
I miss $9 a box 9mm and $12/box 45 and $2500 used semi customs .
I think I might just hold tight for a bit ? Your thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Been wondering the same thing. I don’t have the funds to buy all I would like and there has been some very nice offerings here of late with slow to no movement. I try to keep my “gun fund” in check as I promised the wife not to get into savings or household money for my toys and habits. Tax time, slow stock market, just plain broke has a lot to with things in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
I voted no, mainly because of what I see in the components market which is worse than it has been! I havent shopped for ammo so cant comment on that.

In terms of firearms, I am honestly not sure what is going on there. Like you I have seen some nice ones hit the classifieds and sit, several Nighthawks for example which baffles me as Nighthawks lead time is still way out there last time I checked and at least the local dealers around me have no stock & see them trickle in every 6 months or so.

Honestly I think we are due for another waive of panic buying too, Biden has nominated another person to head the ATF, taken executive action on ghost guns, mass shootings are either up or getting more publicity again which leads me to believe we will have the administration try to push additional laws on firearms & if they retain control in the midterms I would say that additional laws are almost guaranteed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I’ve seen more inventory available locally. I also agree that the classifieds have had several great deals sit for a bit of time without movement. In my opinion we’re in the middle of an election cycle so in general less people are panic buying. Add inflation and the rising cost of goods to that and people that once thought it was cool to have a gun or shoot recreationally are realizing this isn’t a cheap hobby.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The lead time thing is odd I ordered my NH thunder ranch in September of 2021 and got it early 2022 in Jan . I ordered a Wilson same time in September and no news yet . I dont know what is driving the demand but it seems the backlog is very large . I have been quoted 12-18 months on new NH builds

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,808 Posts
I also think some of the slow down is this being tax season, I know Uncle Sam dinged me pretty hard this year and made me reconsider several things both short and long term. Of course I’ve always been 1 or 2 come in something should go, I’m not a collector and like to shoot what I have. I also think the T4 @AZ1911 has listed is a great buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
On the Forum I have noticed many folks are selling at premium prices, some used guns are starting off at $1,000 - $2,000 over MSRP. I think their logic is that ordering a new gun has a wait of 12 months so I will ask premium prices. Sometimes this works, and sometimes guns will sit here for several weeks. When the pandemic first started people were going out and buying inexpensive guns at my LGS, but that seems to have slowed down. I even saw folks on GB selling 357 ammo for $50+ for a box, some for double that! I can now buy 9mm for $15 a box (CCI or Am Eagle), and 45ACP for as low as $25 a box.

Given the price of gas, the highest inflation since the 1980s, rising interest rates, and supply chain issues I think we are headed for a Recession (w/ a capital R). Some "talking heads" are saying a recession could last 1 or 2 years. Given that, I have begun stocking up on ammo again. If a recession does come, I believe ammo prices will hit the roof again. I am shooting mainly 9mm and some 45ACP, I've shot 1 or 2 boxes of 44 mag in the past year, and 1 box of 50AE. I think I've only shot 2 or 3 boxes of 6.5 CM.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but as they say "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."

·
Registered
567 Posts
Things have slowed down on here a little. I also think it’s affected by tax season. If you follow Gunbroker though, prices are still obscene and they do seem to sell.

I also think some of the slow down is this being tax season, I know Uncle Sam dinged me pretty hard this year and made me reconsider several things both short and long term. Of course I’ve always been 1 or 2 come in something should go, I’m not a collector and like to shoot what I have. I also think the T4 @AZ1911 has listed is a great buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That T4 is still on here, I think, because of the number of people on here that already have T4s. I’ve never seen so many endorsements across the various T4 threads. I love mine but don’t need another.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don’t think things are noticeably slowing down yet. There are some items that have hung around longer than one would’ve thought, but, I don’t know if that’s truly indicative of the market.

My dealer is typically closed Sunday through Tuesday and he was telling me last week that he’s in the shop 6-7 days a week just to keep up on the paperwork due to the volume.

Idiocy, while appearing to have tapered off slightly (at least for the items I’m interested in), is still running amok on Gunbroker.

Ammo seems to be more available, however, I haven’t looked at the prices lately.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
On the Forum I have noticed many folks are selling at premium prices, some used guns are starting off at $1,000 - $2,000 over MSRP. I think their logic is that ordering a new gun has a wait of 12 months so I will ask premium prices. Sometimes this works, and sometimes guns will sit here for several weeks. When the pandemic first started people were going out and buying inexpensive guns at my LGS, but that seems to have slowed down. I even saw folks on GB selling 357 ammo for $50+ for a box, some for double that! I can now buy 9mm for $15 a box (CCI or Am Eagle), and 45ACP for as low as $25 a box.

Given the price of gas, the highest inflation since the 1980s, rising interest rates, and supply chain issues I think we are headed for a Recession (w/ a capital R). Some "talking heads" are saying a recession could last 1 or 2 years. Given that, I have begun stocking up on ammo again. If a recession does come, I believe ammo prices will hit the roof again. I am shooting mainly 9mm and some 45ACP, I've shot 1 or 2 boxes of 44 mag in the past year, and 1 box of 50AE. I think I've only shot 2 or 3 boxes of 6.5 CM.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but as they say "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."
^ This^

I think this blip/drop in Ammo prices may be short lived as production,Delivery and material costs cycle through on the upward trend as everything else skyrockets, Ammo prices will increase. The shooting industry is recreational and as folks have less discretionary funds there will be less demand. With less demand and abundant product prices should fall? But?

With that how long can retailers and manufacturers weather the storm?

Now items sitting in the classifieds i believe one is the pricing? The others are the large # of individuals selling that are not necessarily known members, have a fairly New membership on the forum or have a lengthy time on the forum with a low post count and the only activity they show is for the classifieds.

Folks are Scammer Shy and just being a lot More cautious.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The market is going to take a big down turn unless something happens politically.

Many distributors and gun manufacturers are projecting sales as low as 40% less than last year.
That would be unusual. Traditionally gun/ammo sales are much higher with a Dem as president especially one that has a hard on for uneccesary gun control like Biden seems to have.

·
Vendor
3,665 Posts
That would be unusual. Traditionally gun/ammo sales are much higher with a Dem as president especially one that has a hard on for uneccesary gun control like Biden seems to have.
We did a considerable amount of Gunbroker sales last year. We aren’t focusing on that aspect of our business at all this year if that says anything. We are only buying in demand things that turn over super fast and only buying enough stuff so it pays the bills. We know the market is gonna be weak this year (not really for custom guns, that market is always strong) so it’s much less of a priority.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

As much as I would like to disagree I think you are right I think we are headed for a recession this is smelling A lot like 2006 with the housing market crashed.
I decided to cool my jets a little bit with purchasing.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ This^

I think this blip/drop in Ammo prices may be short lived as production,Delivery and material costs cycle through on the upward trend as everything else skyrockets, Ammo prices will increase. The shooting industry is recreational and as folks have less discretionary funds there will be less demand. With less demand and abundant product prices should fall? But?

With that how long can retailers and manufacturers weather the storm?

Now items sitting in the classifieds i believe one is the pricing? The others are the large # of individuals selling that are not necessarily known members, have a fairly New membership on the forum or have a lengthy time on the forum with a low post count and the only activity they show is for the classifieds.

Folks are Scammer Shy and just being a lot More cautious.
I am relatively new to this forum having just joined last year and I have held off on several purchases because of low post counts on members selling items. I had placed a wanted to buy ad and people definitely tried to scam me , that has made me very concerned about doing business with somebody that is not what I would consider an established member.

·
Fictional Western Sage
2,750 Posts
Hmmm, let's see...

New gun?

Or

$4 to $5 to $6 per gallon of gas.

Or

The Rent is going way up

Or

Electric bill is going way up

Or
  • Beef and veal: +16.2%
  • Pork: +14%
  • Poultry: +12.5%
  • Fish and seafood: +10.4%
  • Eggs: +11.4%
  • Dairy: +5.2%
  • Fats and oils: +11.7%
  • Fresh fruits: +10.6%
  • Fresh vegetables: +4.3%
  • Processed fruits and vegetables: +7.6%
  • Sugars and sweets: +7%

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
We did a considerable amount of Gunbroker sales last year. We aren’t focusing on that aspect of our business at all this year if that says anything. We are only buying in demand things that turn over super fast and only buying enough stuff so it pays the bills. We know the market is gonna be weak this year (not really for custom guns, that market is always strong) so it’s much less of a priority.
What do you think is going to be weak about the market this year? Expecting some pull back?

1 - 20 of 198 Posts