1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Have prices hit their peak and stabilized ?

• Yes

Votes: 74 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 45.6%
121 - 140 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Right ? Damn that sold fast … I am absolutely shocked at the money some are willing to spend when they see “yost” on a build sheet.
Must be good I just have never had the pleasure of handling or shooting one. Congrats to buyer and seller .
Like anything it’s reputation and scarcity
Kinda like a Picasso

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Gun's on the scale of the Yost's put up very recently are exceptions. It is a good sign that they sell so fast and shows that the market isn't dead.

It's the shocking amount of fine semi-customs and customs that sit much longer than they did 6-12 months ago and don't sell without price drops and time. That is definitely a trend I've seen and it has happened to so many things that fall under the category of "discretionary spending".

I think it is and will be a very good time to "buy low", but I think that Yost, Burton, Rogers, etc. will be exempted from that and it will be even a worse sign when those don't move or require price drops. That's just my point of view and opinion, but I think that if you want to buy a nice used NHC, etc. you stand to save hundreds of dollars compared to a year ago.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Not sure that the recent Yost sales are something to go by or not, may just be a couple of determined collectors getting all the Yosts they can. Heard a rumor somewhere that Yost had closed his books and going forward was only going to be selling to a handful of select dealers, no more individualized customs - not sure of the accuracy of the rumor but if true folks who collect his work may be on the hunt for his older stuff and may suspect a price hike on his newer stuff. In any case its pretty hard to lose money on a Yost it seems.

On the other hand, if the ugly R word comes true "Recession" and people get squeezed I would not be surprised to see a lot of $6-7K Nighthawks and other high dollar semi customs hit the market and the more that flood the market the more the prices will drop.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Not sure that the recent Yost sales are something to go by or not, may just be a couple of determined collectors getting all the Yosts they can. Heard a rumor somewhere that Yost had closed his books and going forward was only going to be selling to a handful of select dealers, no more individualized customs - not sure of the accuracy of the rumor but if true folks who collect his work may be on the hunt for his older stuff and may suspect a price hike on his newer stuff. In any case its pretty hard to lose money on a Yost it seems.

On the other hand, if the ugly R word comes true "Recession" and people get squeezed I would not be surprised to see a lot of $6-7K Nighthawks and other high dollar semi customs hit the market and the more that flood the market the more the prices will drop.
100 percent agree

and yes I had heard that yost closed his books even To his long time regulars

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The way everything hit a wall in the last 30 or so days is remarkable. The only thing worse than spending your money is saving it as crazy as that sounds, but when the dollar loses every week, where is a "good" place to store your money? I don't know the answer, but what has happened recently doesn't look to be lightening up any time soon and that's bad news all the way around.
I Bonds will at least keep up with inflation. Need to be able to park it for at least one year. 10K max per individual. Still better than a CD or savings account. Paying 9% right now

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
While things are soft I feel strongly they are at bottom already for guns. When talking about some of the guns I have sold recently in terms of semi customs an a couple rifles I have listed now I highly doubt you will get a chance to buy these things any cheaper going forward than where they are now. Also not predicting they go up dramatically but things like brand new nighthawks in nice specs selling $1k or more under msrp I dont think you will get them any cheaper even if economy gets worse. The costs to build this stuff aint going down so new prices will stay high and go higher over time.

·
Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I am holding out hope … purchasing semi customs for $3500 or more used is not something I will do . I like to be in the $2500-3k max range and it isnt that I cant afford it I just see it as a land of diminished returns after that number . The prices on used guns have gone up in the last few years as msrp has risen and availability has become sparse however I think you will see that change as recession hits - there will be more semis used on the market and prices will drop as they dont sell and sit there . The Yost or whatever will prob never experience that but WC NH etc I think will or at least I am speculating they will and waiting . I see the same thing happening with blue chip stocks and I am waiting to pounce .

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am holding out hope … purchasing semi customs for $3500 or more used is not something I will do . I like to be in the $2500-3k max range and it isnt that I cant afford it I just see it as a land of diminished returns after that number . The prices on used guns have gone up in the last few years as msrp has risen and availability has become sparse however I think you will see that change as recession hits - there will be more semis used on the market and prices will drop as they dont sell and sit there . The Yost or whatever will prob never experience that but WC NH etc I think will or at least I am speculating they will and waiting . I see the same thing happening with blue chip stocks and I am waiting to pounce .
If you are buying a nice used NH to enjoy is there really much of a difference if you pay $3k or $3,400 ?

·
Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
If you are buying a nice used NH to enjoy is there really much of a difference if you pay $3k or $3,400 ?
If I was buying one probably not unfortunately as most of us on here tend to do we buy one a week LOL 🤣🤣🤣 over the course of the year that little difference could add up to one or two nighthawks or Wilson combats or whatever flavor you like

sometimes a pistol comes along though that is special like that T4 you had listed that one was a good price and was very difficult not to pull the trigger on
If I hadn’t already had a T4 that would’ve been coming home with me
Some pistols are very rare or have a special build to them and those I feel are worth spending more

121 - 140 of 198 Posts