1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Have prices hit their peak and stabilized ?

• Yes

Votes: 74 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 45.6%
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If I was buying one probably not unfortunately as most of us on here tend to do we buy one a week LOL 🤣🤣🤣 over the course of the year that little difference could add up to one or two nighthawks or Wilson combats or whatever flavor you like

sometimes a pistol comes along though that is special like that T4 you had listed that one was a good price and was very difficult not to pull the trigger on
If I hadn’t already had a T4 that would’ve been coming home with me
Some pistols are very rare or have a special build to them and those I feel are worth spending more
Right said another way buying a nice spec like new used NH today for $3500 or so how uch will you loose even if you shoot it a fair amount over next year and then want to sell it ? $800 tops ? what else can you get that much enjoyment out of and lose so little ? Its a few tans of gas. Just saying dont think there is very far to fall from current soft prices its a good time to buy these deals if you goal is to buy a nice gun to enjoy. Not claiming they are " investments" for speculators

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Right said another way buying a nice spec like new used NH today for $3500 or so how uch will you loose even if you shoot it a fair amount over next year and then want to sell it ? $800 tops ? what else can you get that much enjoyment out of and lose so little ? Its a few tans of gas. Just saying dont think there is very far to fall from current soft prices its a good time to buy these deals if you goal is to buy a nice gun to enjoy. Not claiming they are " investments" for speculators
For some that $800 is a big deal to others it isn’t. I try not to judge. I also take into consideration that I don’t know the financial situation of others and it’s not by business.

I think overall the market is soft. Yes those who are not being “hurt” by the current economic issues are still snatching up $10,000 + Yost guns but lots of people who play in the $2500-$4000 range a few times a year are sitting on the sidelines.

Those buyers make up a lot if the volume here and in general. I personally am not sure we have hit the bottom. We have shifted to a buyers market. IMHO

Guns like higher end 1911s are not “investments” in times like this as much as hedge against inflation. They are a place to store cash that isn’t losing 9% like a savings account. The added benefit is you can shoot it. The key to this equation is buying smart.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
For some that $800 is a big deal to others it isn’t. I try not to judge. I also take into consideration that I don’t know the financial situation of others and it’s not by business.

I think overall the market is soft. Yes those who are not being “hurt” by the current economic issues are still snatching up $10,000 + Yost guns but lots of people who play in the $2500-$4000 range a few times a year are sitting in the sidelines.

Those buyers make up a lot if the volume here and in general. I personally am not sure we have hit the bottom. We have shifted to a buyers market. IMHO
my collections will be worth what they are worth when I’m gone
Hell if ever I really need to liquidate they will still be worth what they are worth

I don’t honestly believe a big name builder guns will drop or appreciate greatly from current levels
But they will by in large be a hard asset for the foreseeable future

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
my collections will be worth what they are worth when I’m gone
Hell if ever I really need to liquidate they will still be worth what they are worth

I don’t honestly believe a big name builder guns will drop or appreciate greatly from current levels
But they will by in large be a hard asset for the foreseeable future
I tend to agree for the most part. I added to the post you quoted saying something similar. The real value of my collection is what it means to me more than it’s value on the open market. I will add that some builds and builders are more timeless than others.

Some builds become dated over time vs “classic” if you get my meaning. Sometimes what is the height of fashion today becomes dated down the road and less desirable. We see it in all sorts of assets from houses to cars to art and 1911s.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I wouldn't have cut off buying entirely, that's a fact, but a big part of my spending spree came from a life insurance check that I received from the passing of my mother at the end of February. I am one of the buyers and shooters that @WVsig mentions. I make large purchases 2-3 times a year and while I wouldn't be quite "sidelined" I surely won't be spending the money that I would have in '19, '20 & '21 outside of the unexpected chunk that I spent like it was on fire.

We live pretty minimally, even though my guns wouldn't show it. We spent the last ten years being financially free and we are, but without a doubt our money is simply not going as far is it did last year. The same grocery trip yields you about 75% of last year's take and the gas pump gets you about 45%, no matter what the "official" numbers are.

Meanwhile, and I think this is telling, I have a silly old baseball card collection. The 'Rona brought in an incredible boom in the industry. People were at home and had "extra" money. That Boom, which actually is referred to as the Third Boom in card collecting, hit a wall in a way that is startling about 60 or so days ago. An absolute wall. Things just started selling in ebay auctions for a 20-40% hit and it happened over the course of about 30 days.

Nothing is certain and we're in uncharted territory. Still, when the "luxury" items that people regularly buy just slam on the brakes(that may be a little extreme, but not by much and I think the point is clear) while prices rise on the things we need and the things no longer being purchased, it can't be a good omen for the near future, even if it doesn't mean the sky is falling.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

I think overall the market is soft. Yes those who are not being “hurt” by the current economic issues are still snatching up $10,000 + Yost guns but lots of people who play in the $2500-$4000 range a few times a year are sitting in the sidelines.

Guns like higher end 1911s are not “investments” in times like this as much as hedge against inflation. They are a place to store cash that isn’t losing 9% like a savings account. The added benefit is you can shoot it. The key to this equation is buying smart.
It's definitely soft, but I don't think we've hit the bottom yet. There are still guns even in the lower tier selling at crazy prices and I haven't seen many ridiculously cheap deals happen....course what is a ridiculously good deal may have shifted from a few years ago....

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wouldn't have cut off buying entirely, that's a fact, but a big part of my spending spree came from a life insurance check that I received from the passing of my mother at the end of February. I am one of the buyers and shooters that @WVsig mentions. I make large purchases 2-3 times a year and while I wouldn't be quite "sidelined" I surely won't be spending the money that I would have in '19, '20 & '21 outside of the unexpected chunk that I spent like it was on fire.

We live pretty minimally, even though my guns wouldn't show it. We spent the last ten years being financially free and we are, but without a doubt our money is simply not going as far is it did last year. The same grocery trip yields you about 75% of last year's take and the gas pump gets you about 45%, no matter what the "official" numbers are.

Meanwhile, and I think this is telling, I have a silly old baseball card collection. The 'Rona brought in an incredible boom in the industry. People were at home and had "extra" money. That Boom, which actually is referred to as the Third Boom in card collecting, hit a wall in a way that is startling about 60 or so days ago. An absolute wall. Things just started selling in ebay auctions for a 20-40% hit and it happened over the course of about 30 days.

Nothing is certain and we're in uncharted territory. Still, when the "luxury" items that people regularly buy just slam on the brakes(that may be a little extreme, but not by much and I think the point is clear) while prices rise on the things we need and the things no longer being purchased, it can't be a good omen for the near future, even if it doesn't mean the sky is falling.
These are exactly the same thoughts I have

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If you are married you can put in 10k for you and 10k for your wife a year. I do not know about minor children, but I think you can buy bonds in their name. If you have a income tax refund you can put that into a I Bond.
Minor children and adult children can be gifted $10,000. You pay for it and then move it to their account. If you get a Federal tax refund that amount can be used to purchase I Bonds over the $10,000 limit up to $5,000. The additional $5,000 will be paper bonds. All the other rules apply. It it is an adult child they will be responsible for the taxes upon redemption.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I do not believe you can generalize based upon what someone is willing to pay for a Yost. The high end, a Yost, Burton, etc. will almost always have a market. "The Carriage Trade" is generally recession and inflation proof. From what I've seen, most firearms are moving very slowly and the pricing power is waning. Inflation is "eating up" an awfully lot of otherwise discretionary funds.

As for the economy in general, I have no faith in a "soft landing", and it won't be pretty. I believe many markets may be cooling rapidly quite soon.

In the meantime, if anyone has a top notch Burton for sale, I can make them richer! :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I do not believe you can generalize based upon what someone is willing to pay for a Yost. The high end, a Yost, Burton, etc. will almost always have a market. "The Carriage Trade" is generally recession and inflation proof. From what I've seen, most firearms are moving very slowly and the pricing power is waning. Inflation is "eating up" an awfully lot of otherwise discretionary funds.

As for the economy in general, I have no faith in a "soft landing", and it won't be pretty. I believe many markets cooling rapidly quite soon.

In the meantime, if anyone has a top notch Burton for sale, I can make them richer! :D
Me too
Or a Rodger’s , derr or anyone of a 1/2 dozen others

·
Premium Member
WC sentinel, NH Thunder ranch, DW Valor , EB KC9,NH Counselor
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I have a volkmann coming...no luck on the Reid yet. Have a nice integrity. Love my Evo from Dave. Love my 2 Yosts, 1 Bunker, 1 Burton, 1 Garthwaite, 1 BEC, 1 acw and 1 on the way.
The Volkman that was in the classifieds was very difficult to for me to pass up on pricing was great and it was gorgeous but it just wasn’t the right time

141 - 160 of 198 Posts