Ed Brown Have some USPSA questions

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by gun_fan111, Apr 1, 2019.

1. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Thinking about attending a couple of local USPSA matches this year and trying to sort out some things. Thanks in advance!

- Would using a Les Baer Monolith 9mm put me into Limited-10 Minor? Sounds like the full length dust cover is a No Go in Single Stack.

- Would using an STI Apeiro 9mm (island barrel) put me into Limited Minor?

- For those of you that compete with 10 round mags, how many magazine pouches do you have on your belt?

- Am I reading it correctly that not having holster or pouches forward of hip bone does not apply to either of the divisions above? That would be great as I could then use my 3-gun belt without having to move things around.

- So far I have always taken factory ammo to 3-gun matches and I need to check that it all meets the 125 minimum power factor for Minor.

- When moving with a single action pistol, are you required to put the thumb safety On? Or does keeping the finger off the trigger enough?

Anybody competes in Limited-10? Outside on CA and NJ that is .

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Yes in limited and L10 you can put holster an pouches anywhere. Your factory ammo will more than likely make PF. I sure your full dust cover gun will not work for SS. I’ve never seen anyone knock the safety on while moving, but you better have that booger hook clearly outside the trigger gaurd

Mr. Knight and gun_fan111 like this.

3. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    Thanks. This is the section I must have misread. It talks about moving and putting the safety on, but for holstering which makes sense.

[​IMG]

4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Anytime I had to move more than a few feet, I popped the safety on just in case I tripped over my own feet. I started doing this after I watched a guy do a faceplant while running to the next shooting box. His pistol flew from his hand, and landed on the ground facing back towards the rest of us shooters. Yikes! :eek:

Engaging/disengaging a safety while moving costs zero time.

But this is something I just did for my peace of mind. :)

5. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    L-10 You will want 5 Mags, 4 on the belt and one barney/pocket.

Ive never re-engaged the safety after my draw during the course of fire.

6. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    I will post all my videos so you can learn from my mistakes!

gun_fan111 and wrmiller like this.
  7. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    I used my Mono in a 3-gun match and brought 10+ preloaded magazines with me. I have four pouches on the belt so that should be good.

I have been accumulating the double-stack magazines as well and am now up to five 140mm that lock the slide back and two that do not. If five single stacks will get me through, sounds like that should do it as well of I decide to go this way. I can always put the one 126mm in my back pocket just in case :)

Thanks for the info

8. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    It is OK in USPSA to drop a partially loaded magazine and put a fresh one in, right? Should be useful in Limited 10 I would think.

zipper046 likes this.
  9. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013

10. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Thinking about attending a couple of local USPSA matches this year and trying to sort out some things. Thanks in advance!

- Would using a Les Baer Monolith 9mm put me into Limited-10 Minor? Sounds like the full length dust cover is a No Go in Single Stack. NO - it is not allowed in Single Stack so it will put you in LIMITED minor.

- Would using an STI Apeiro 9mm (island barrel) put me into Limited Minor? NO - it is not allowed in Single Stack so it will put you in LIMITED minor

- For those of you that compete with 10 round mags, how many magazine pouches do you have on your belt? 5 minimum

- Am I reading it correctly that not having holster or pouches forward of hip bone does not apply to either of the divisions above? That would be great as I could then use my 3-gun belt without having to move things around. YES - can wear them anywhere

- So far I have always taken factory ammo to 3-gun matches and I need to check that it all meets the 125 minimum power factor for Minor. YES - factory ammo will be fine for minimum PF

- When moving with a single action pistol, are you required to put the thumb safety On? Or does keeping the finger off the trigger enough? NO - but it is a good habit to get into

wrmiller likes this.
  11. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    Which caliber/ammo do you use to get to Major?

12. tarosean

Apr 7, 2013

Yes this is why we carry so many rounds to the line.. Max round count is 32 a stage. But once you learn to game your mag changes. You will find your self dropping a lot of partially full Mags. Even if not dictated by the COF.

wrmiller and gun_fan111 like this.
  13. tarosean

Apr 7, 2013
    40cal + for Limited and L10
    9mm for Open

zipper046 likes this.
  14. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    Thanks for all your help everybody, my club has a new shooter orientation in a couple of weeks and I feel well prepared.

Now to decide between Mono and Apeiro. And frankly, a 1911 in .45 would not be out of the question completely either.

15. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    I compete in USPSA with a .45 single stack. At every event this year so far I am the only one shooting 45acp and have gained some admiration for doing so lol. It is predominantly 9mm, a splash of .40, and we had two masters guys show up a couple of meets ago shooting 38 superb in full race guns! That was something to see. I had to laugh a bit too because they made sure they picked up their brass too (super comp).

@gun_fan111 if you decide to go with the 45 and you reload, tailor your load for 170 or so PF. Most standard 45 is in the 180's pushing 190 PF. You can lessen the recoil by doing so and allow yourself to get back on target faster.

It's been a great journey this year so far and I've seen myself getting so much better. The confidence one gains in holster draws, mag changes, and shooting strong and weak hand is priceless! Good luck to you, relax, and have a ton of fun!

wrmiller and gun_fan111 like this.
  16. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Just bear in mind...with the 2 pistols you are running (Mono & Apeiro) you'll be scored MINOR in Limited-10 or Limited (stay away from limited...single stack guns aren't even close to being competitive against the double stacker's).

So, being scored minor means you need to be more accurate and shoot more A zone hits. Hits outside the A zone are a full point more penalty than if you were shooting MAJOR.

Now...get yourself a good 1911 in .45acp and you an run MAJOR in Limited-10 or Single Stack all day long and if you reload you'll be able to drop the powder charge and get a softer shooting load that still makes MAJOR and then you an run Limited-10 or Single Stack all day long and twice on Sunday's! LOL....

gun_fan111 likes this.
  17. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    yes...only IDPA has retarded mag drop rules....

wrmiller likes this.
  18. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    If yer really hooked on USPSA....I'd suggest the following:

1) Start reloading for .40s&w and work up a good load that makes MAJOR but still soft shooting.
    2) Get yourself an STI or other reputable double stack pistol in .40s&w....STI Edge, STI Eagle, etc.
    3) Get yourself a Single Stack .40s&w pistol...STI, Springfield, etc.

With the above...you'll be able to reload to keep costs down and tailor your loads...and with a single stack and double stack you can run: Limited, Limited-10, Single Stack divisions......

19. gun_fan111

Mar 23, 2014
    I see what you are saying about the power factor and scoring. We’ll see how far this will take me a year from now :)

As of today, I do not have a single 40s&w...

20. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Smart.
    Buy a .40 when Major vs Minor is the difference between winning and losing.

That would be nice if they still made them. Plenty of used ones available as shooters go custom, though.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted