HD Pistol: Light? Laser? Both?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by awpk03s, Oct 10, 2011.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    To all of those nightstand and HD pistols... what would you equip, a rail mounted light, or CT lasergrips? Or both? I tend to value the light more, and while I would like a laser, I think the weapon mounted light would drown it out.... right?

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I just have a flashlight not on the gun. I am not really opposed to it, but never felt the need to spend the money.

I have owned several guns with laser-grips and other than a tiny pocket pistol I just do not care for them. On the Glocks they get in the way of working the slide as I am used to. On a 1911 I just do not like how they activate as much. Now I know someone with them on a 92FS and that I like, but I assume it is because I am not used to a 92FS in the first place so I do not feel I am changing my grip to activate them.

Now I have a pair on a 442 and some other revolver at one time, and that was very handy.

Pretty sure if I got a laser now the cat would just want to play with it, end up shooting the cat and the bad guy. Wife would not like that too much.

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm a light/laser guy for the house pistol.. Ron

[​IMG]

4. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Is the laser washed out by the light? Or still very visible?

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    If I'm a bad guy I will shoot at the light or laser as the target is holding it. 3-4 quick shots will probably result in a hit hopefully taking down the threat. I believe in a hand held light or no light at all. I could be wrong but I know my house and have night lights everywhere. Out side of the house a laser for quick aquasition of a target might be handy.

6. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I have a TLR-1s attached to my Colt Rail Gun in a bedside safe as well as a hand held in the nightstand. If I have to use one hand to open a door, flick on a switch, move things, usher people into a room, etc.. I want a gun and light in one hand. Its easy to light the floor with a bright rail mounted light and illuminate everything in front of you without pointing the muzzle at anything or anybody. You have to train with a weapon mounted light but its not as uncanny as many make it seem.

I don't have a TLR-2 but I've tried enough of them in a dark room that the laser dot is easily visible in the light.

I have CT laser grips on my 92A1 which is the first gun mounted laser that I've owned. I tested it by shooting quite a few mags using the laser only, below the line of sight and the accuracy was more than acceptable. I probably won't put a laser on any other handgun but I can say that having both wouldn't be a disadvantage.

If you want to know which one I think is more useful, then its the light hands down.

7. 11101110111

11101110111 New Member

Sep 10, 2011
    These replies always make me chuckle in the light threads. ;)

8. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Strictly a"light" kind of guy myself. :biggrin1:

As far as lasers go,I really haven't worked with one long enough to form an opinion.

For dry fire practice I can see the point,but as far as using a "device"as a sighting system,I am skeptical.

DAT85

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    So where do you hold your handheld light when you are also holding a gun? Like arm straight out at 90 degrees 2 feet to the side to throw BG off with your actual proximity? :der:

Limb is a little older and a little slower.....well that and he's from KY, so cut him some slack. :biggrin1:

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I use a light on my P2000 for HD use.

11. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Tape light to stick out in front of you. :rofl2:

12. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ If you have a quality laser/light combo unit, the light will not wash-out the laser, which should be clearly visible, in typical low-light use.

If you do get such a unit - typically a rail-mounted piece - please go shoot it, and then shoot it some more, after you've "zeroed" the laser. If/with an actuation switch on the body of the device, there's a possibility that the torque/force you put on the switch can shift the device ever so slightly, even when you otherwise think that it's tightly on the rail.

That said, I like both.

While I don't typically practice the laser, it gives me immediate feedback as to where the gun is relatively accurately aimed - just in case I'm using the other hand to do "whatever" (from hustling my kid to a safe position or to dialing 911). Certainly, keeping the light "constant on" will do just about the same, but the laser makes for more precision: instead of "covering the doorway," I'm now targeted directly at the center of the door.

And I also like both having a handheld light as well as a gun-mounted light. I learned in class that I prefer searching using a handheld, but I much more prefer shooting with a mounted light, even if it is on just a pistol. My HD quick-access safe hosts light-equipped pistols as well as a good stand-alone handheld - and as I'm not Arnold/Stallone and not movie-good at using a handheld when paired with my 870, that's got its own light on it, too.

The tactics part of it is a whole other story: the entire idea is to use the light to identify what you're shooting at, while making sure that your position isn't given away - and there are many ways to accomplish this (without having a poor bird-dog roaming the hall ahead of you, with the flashlight duct-taped to its head :tongue:), the idea is to use the light as a weapon in your favor. I would encourage everyone to do some Force-on-Force in low-light, as well as to take some live-fire low-light courses. I've done a bit of the former, but until just this past summer, I'd never done a live-fire course, and FWIW, having a loaded handgun in my hands made me much more timid than I thought I would have been, and really gave me pause as to the skill-set (particularly when combined with the adverse conditions that we'd faced that night, in terms of the weather).

There's another local low-light course coming up in the beginning of November, but the night-time schedule really makes it hard on my family...that said, I'm trying to move mountains to take the class, as I truly feel that it is a crucial skill-set to develop and properly execute.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    The light doesn't wash out the laser.. I'll try and get a good pic this evening. With a two hand grip, the left thumb can tap the light quickly and easily; works very good with a little practice.. While outside checking the property or whatever, the trigger can lock the light on easily for flashlight use. The light is bright enough to light the entire room while pointing at the floor or ceiling, so you don't have to cover anything with the muzzle that you don't want too.

The laser is a different matter. I keep it synced with the light so if one is on they both are. I took it the Operator to the range about ten times with the light/laser in place and ran about a hundred rounds through it with both on. I shot at 7, 15 and 25 yard's aimed in the traditional way, off hand, from the waist, on the way up and on the way down. Strong hand and week hand. One thing's for sure... aiming is not required as long as you follow the dot. It's a different mindset and not for everyone I guess. Like shooting a pistol-grip from the waist. I can rock a paper plate at 25 yards shooting from the hip..

Is it optimal not acquire a traditional sight picture.... NO... But will I ever have to fire without a good sight picture.. possibly.. It's comforting to see the dot squarely on the target when acquiring a traditional sight picture.. Anyhow.. JMO.. Ron

14. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks guys... I was kicking around getting a set of CT Lasergrips for my Nighthawk Enforcer Recon (w/Surefire X300).
    I think maybe I'll save my money for awhile and revisit the idea. Gonna pick up some Kahr CT lasergrips so I can try out how they act in the light and decide if I want so spring for them on my 1911 someday.

15. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ :smile:

All those aids are just that - they help, and as tools, they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

You might want to add night-sights to the mix, if you haven't already.

I found that they help quite a bit, and that I like them (particularly if they're of different colors front/rear - I haven't tried just a front with blank rears, though)...but they vanish for quite a bit, after the first muzzle flash. So, for me, yes, I'll eventually get them on all my defensive and carry guns, but I'm not gagging for them "right this moment" and have to put everything else down just to go and get them, right now. :lol:

16. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I don't really have much use for lasers myself. As far as lights I prefer not to have my muzzle covering everything the light does so hand held works better for me.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted