1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Hello from Kansas

1K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  SaxOnTheBeach 
#1 ·
Well, I have watched this forum for sometime and used it for some references. I have numerous 1911's in different flavors and still feel they are just as good for self defense and any other gun on the market. I try to do most of my own gunsmithing and feel I understand the 1911 very well. The main reason I joined was to get some insight on adding red dots to 1911's, as this thread has more threads on it than others. I welcome all insights and knowledge to the 1911. Thanks Todd

#5 ·
I have a lifetime friend I worked with for 29 years as LEO and he gunsmithed also. He is just now getting into doing slides for red dots. He has a slide of mine. I know he will work his magic, but I also wanted to know just how much was going to be milled off I don't have my notes with me, but the depth was deep. However looking at photo's of other 1911s with direct mounts, it looks like it will be ok. My slide has a novak style rear sight. So the consensus was to mill the depth of the bottom of the dovetail slot. What I could not find was at what depth everyone is cutting the 1911s. I also realize it "depends" on the manufacturer of the slide. I measured every thing on the slide to make sure we didn't go too deep. The slide I am having done is one I bought from Sarco. Maybe I need to just let the process work itself out, but I just gotta know!

#11 ·
Welcome from Minnesota!

As you’re already well aware, there are some pretty fab experts here. Some of them might not find your specific question here in the member introduction section of the forum. You might start a discussion in a section where they’ll see it and respond?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.