Hello, New 1911 owner, and addict, in Texas :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sgt.York1918, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Sgt.York1918

Sgt.York1918 Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Hello! I just purchased my first handgun the other day and the choice was clear to me. My family has a long military history and this gun is part of that, heck when i was in the military I wanted the 1911 over the M9. It happens to be a Rock Island Armory 1911A1 GI unfortunately due to a mistake on the sellers part i thought it was a Full size Government model but its desginated MS "mid size" basically the 4.25 inch Commander style.

It might be more convenient, and lighter, but i really want the 5inch barrel. I would just put a compensator on the one I have and be done but no Rock Island had to be different, they have a different ttpe if barrel and no bushing for the MS models so you have to go through all kinds of hoops to put one on the different type of barrel.

Anyway I plan i doing small modifications, style grips, skeletonized trigger, mag wells. Ill post a pic of it before.

If anybody has any advice for me weather its eaiser to just put a 5 inch barrel and slide on the gun or try and add one to a bull barrel please let me know 20181122_051907.jpg

2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    20161122_132018.jpg

Greetings from Philly.

In regards to your question, I would advise just buying a Government model pistol over trying to fit a 5 inch slide and barrel to your existing frame. Unlike AR-15's and Glocks, 1911's are not plug-and-play platforms. With a few exceptions, parts need to be fitted to each other. Maybe RIA 1911's are an exception, and you can just swap slide assemblies. Still, it might be easier to just sell/trade what you have and buy a 5 inch gun.

UBOATDOC, Mike A, salelcid and 9 others like this.

3. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Welcome from Michigan !
    [​IMG]

John Blazy, Noel, Mike A and 7 others like this.
  4. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Welcome to the addiction from SoFla.
    Your not an addict until you buy the 5 inch 1911 and then buy another.
    And that’s just the beginning.
    0A8253DE-C7AA-46AF-845F-33F7F0959F7A.jpeg 73B6FBD0-D713-4208-AF69-333FC2FE5C91.jpeg

Noel, Mike A, salelcid and 7 others like this.
  5. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Welcome aboard from Alabama!

Kind of a cool Commander you have there - might be fun to keep it and grab a Government Model next. Or, as stated above, sell / trade it toward a Government Model.

EC3946F8-A37B-4F71-A4A7-ACE783897580.jpeg

Noel, Mike A, ImperialBlade and 8 others like this.
  6. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
  7. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Welcome from the Piney Woods of ETex. Enjoy your stay.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mike A and ImperialBlade like this.
  8. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Welcome aboard from east Missouri! I'd just pick up another RIA Mil-Spec, and have both. But hell, I'm an addict...

IMG_0498.JPG

gps man, Noel, Mike A and 7 others like this.
  9. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Welcome from SWMO, Happy Thanksgiving, and Prosit!
    2018-11-22 08.29.56.jpg

41 Charlie, gps man, UBOATDOC and 8 others like this.
  10. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    41 Charlie, gps man, Mike A and 5 others like this.
  11. Sgt.York1918

Sgt.York1918 Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Mike A, ImperialBlade and Scaramouche like this.
  12. Sgt.York1918

Sgt.York1918 Member

Nov 22, 2018
    If i could afford another $430 Yeah sure i'd just buy another from a more reputable dealer. Not feasibly possible at this tine.

I actually do want two at some point just not now lol. Oh and im actually related to Bonnie Parker ;)

UBOATDOC and 41 Charlie like this.
  13. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
  14. Sgt.York1918

Sgt.York1918 Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Greetings. Its not feasible to just buy another right now, I have what i have and i have like 150 for upgrades on the pistol.

Ive seen alot of RIA parts on ebay and those should fit. Failing that i want to put a compensator on it for sure no question. Of course RIA had to make it difficult and i guess I need to thread the barrel for it to accept a special compensator. Im not sure but its a definite must.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  15. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Welcome to the best forum around!

To your question, I'm gonna save you a pile over the long run. Leave your pistol alone (grips, perhaps trigger ok) leave the rest alone and just try and wear it out. Save your spare change in a jar and leave and don't touch it, yet. At the proper time, buy the exact pistol you want with all that you want already done to it. I can vouch for how deep the rabbit hole is of 'custom pistols". Aren't they worth it? Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I wish, strongly, I would have just bought an upscale 1911 ( pick your favorite maker even full house custom) and been finished with it. But no, now I'm much older , have spent a pile on firearms and have but 2 gov't model, and soon to be 2 commander types. Yep, pretty fortunate but its been a long and expensive journey to get here. Maybe you'll take this advise, maybe not, but it is solid advise.

Thanks to your family for the service, mine, too, has a long and sometimes glamorous history of service. Happy Thanksgiving

UBOATDOC, Babboonbobo, Mike A and 7 others like this.
  16. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Welcome from the coast of South Carolina

435BF39B-D404-4837-B621-2ED64EC1F92B.jpeg

gps man, UBOATDOC, Noel and 6 others like this.
  17. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Welcome from Alaska! 20161222_100124.jpg

gps man, Noel, Mike A and 6 others like this.
  18. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Welcome and Happy Thanksgiving from Spring Hill, TN!

Mike A and tac45 like this.
  19. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Welcome from CT.

20. Sgt.York1918

Sgt.York1918 Member

Nov 22, 2018

*rubs eyes* It took me forever to save up enough to be able to set the money aside to do this, Im cant just "buy another" that's so disengenious.

Talked to the owner of the business I got the pistol from who happens to be the husband of the employee that goofed and told me it was the Full sized model. He acted intransigent when I asked for a small portion of my money back, because taxes yada yada yada. At first I tried to be polite but the more obstacles I run into because its a mid-size and not the full size the more pissed I get. I'll drag them into small claims court if necessary but they need to be held accountable for this.

Do I want another? Hell yeah but that's down the road years from now, Im talking in the here and now.

Sorry if I sound rough just like I said the more issues I run into the more upset I get and that seems to be everyone's answer "just buy another" That's real helpful.

Thanks for your family's service as well Happy Thanksgiving

FWoo45 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted