Hello/Please Help!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by backeru, Jan 15, 2012.

1. backeru

backeru New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Hi all,

Within the next six months I will be celebrating my 21st birthday, and am very interested in buying a 1911 soon after that. I have been browsing fine forums such as this one, and would be interested in any advice that you could give.

Let me start off with some background. I have a decent amount of experience with handguns, but nothing spectacular. I have shot everything from a .22 up to a .500 S&W Mag, and very much appreciate the .45 ACP cartridge. I am interested in a 4" (or similar length) barrel, and this is non-negotiable; I also want a full 7-round capacity. I plan on, at some point, carrying this weapon with a CCW permit in my home state of PA.

Here is where your help becomes crucial. I will be on a college student's budget (aka very little), and am therefore looking into a high cost-to-quality ratio. I am willing to do some customization here and there (such as grips, sights, and possibly more if I feel comfortable enough), and would definitely be willing to go to a gunsmith if an aftermarket part were important enough. I am therefore looking for your input as to which model would suit me well.

Just to be clear, I do not need to immediately jump into the customization. I am perfectly fine with putting a few hundred magazines through the weapon before I do anything major, as I know that will help me make better decisions.

Here is the first model I am looking at, the Springfield Armory Champion (Parkerized) 4".

Thank you for your time,

backer

2. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    SA makes good guns, and will be a good base to build on later on if you choose to do so. Find out what features you like best and go from there.

Welcome to the site. :wave:

3. backeru

backeru New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Thank you very much.

4. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I'll second Chris. I think your choice for a SA champion is a great one. Will make a great base gun for future upgrades. If youre ok with a used gun, there are good deals to be had on Colt commanders in the same price range as a new champion. You would have to look hard though. You could also look into an ATI HGA FX45 4.25" or a RIA 4.25

http://www.americantactical.us/940/detail.html

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Champion is a great gun! Forged frame and slide. Lifetime warranty.

STI is coming out with a commander 1911 in their Spartant model.

The commander desert eagle is another good alternative.

6. E_Tackleberry

E_Tackleberry Member

Dec 29, 2011
    High quality-to-cost...I agree w/ 1911brewer that RIA is a good choice, too. Cost of a 4.25" is only around $400 at Centerfire (currently w/ free shipping). I have a RIA FS Tac in .45 and am very happy with it. I think the 4.25 doesn't have a beavertail and has the inferior GI sights, though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. backeru

backeru New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I have heard a lot of good things about RIA, but I have heard more about Springfield :grin:

That being said, that particular model of Springfield happens to have sights which I despise. Any thoughts on good carry sights (not necessarily nights)?

8. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
  9. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
  10. backeru

backeru New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    It looks like 10-8 Performance has a pretty decent assortment of sights. Is there a particular model you like?

11. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    all of them.

12. nolt

nolt Member

Aug 24, 2011
    i think youre already on the right track. if the champ is in your budget and you find one then you'd be hard pressed to find someone that would say you made a bad choice.

you dont NEED to do ANYTHING to it. i like the fact that youre not in a hurry to start monkeying with whatever you buy.

13. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    A S&A 4" is a good choice for CCW. Just make sure it's checked out conserning it's reliability. Only your life depends on it !!!

14. backeru

backeru New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I definitely think the SA 4" will be a good CCW. I much prefer the raw power of the .45 to anything smaller, and I am in love with the 1911.

15. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Springfield is a great choice, I own 4 Springfield's and have been very happy with all of them. Their warranty is probably one of the best anywhere, so it is definitely great choice for a first pistol. Shoot it for a while, save up some cash, and replace the sights.

16. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    Springfield all the way. Check out the GI lightweight. Champ. I love mine.

17. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    I'll preface my comments by saying there's no way you'd go wrong with a Springfield. I'd also hasten to add that the RIA guns, IMO, would serve as well. To say that I've got a "few" 1911's would be an understatement perhaps - and they run the gamut from RIA's to Baer, Brown, Wilson - so I think I can say I've got a pretty broad experience with what the various manufacturers have to offer. That's in the way of perhaps qualifying my opinion - yeah, I've got (and enjoy) some fairly unique and well-made guns, but that's not to say that the less expensive ones aren't worthy!

And FWIW, I currently own 9 Randall 1911's in .45 - all 7 of the RH models, and 2 of the 3 LH ones. Not the uber-rare models where they made like 1-10 of 'em....so far!<G>

18. backeru

backeru New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Thank you all for all your insight. I'm still formulating my opinions on the RIA and Springfield pistols, and will definitely have to hold and work with each before I make my decision.

19. backeru

backeru New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    UPDATE:

After perusing online gun websites, I've come to the conclusion (a bit late, I'll admit) that the RIA, Citadel and ATI 1911s are probably the best choice for my budget. Right now my decision is between these three:

ATI 4.25" GI Model w/ ring hammer *It turns out Super Ninja recommended this one quite a while ago*
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/c7ypbms

Citadel 3.5" (6+1)
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/cagwqnj

RIA Officers 3.5" (6+1)
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/bse6geh

Any thoughts and/or input would be great.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  20. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    RIA and Citadel is from the same company, Armscor. Which has good track record. And out if those three options, I would go with the Citadel, due to better sight options since the slides already cut for dovetail sights.

A buddy has the same gun, and he likes it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted