1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and co-worker of mine wants a 1911 but has too many options on his mind. I told him I'd post up some questions and let you guys help sway his decision.

So here is what he's looking at.

Range Officer

Remington R1

Ruger SR1911

Now obviously one would probably want the RO, so I'll just stop there with my opinions.

He wants stainless or some black of some sort... park'ed and the like. NO BLUE, period.

Fixed sights, Novak or mil-spec. I don't know why, but a titanium firing pin. I don't know about any of those having one already.

I've already told him the guide rod doesn't matter. He wanted a full length, but I've already said that's a long drawn out debate, and not worth the time unless he just really must have one.

So there it is in a nut shell. Now I'll sit back and wait for him to show up so I can show him that everyone agrees the Range Officer is the best pick...:59:

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Of the list, only Springfield has the Ti firing pin, and comes park'ed. So just replace the rear sight with a Harrison fixed.

I haven't played with the SR, but of the other two, the RO was the tightest. Plus forged frame too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well since SA is right down the road from me, that would be an easy pick as I could drive over and bitch if it wasn't working. So far that has NOT been a problem with SA guns.

Problem guns? Well the Kimber Custom (blued) I ordered was a POS, 70+ trigger pull (OK, WAG, but after lightening it by what felt like at LEAST half, it was a measured 36+ lbs!), extractor was unfinished, PLASTIC (!) mainspring housing (on a gun that cost this much?!), magazine was junk, worthless plastic grips (OMG!), etc., etc.

One guy at my range bought a $2500 custom 1911 from a maker in AR I'll call "Will Wil". Brought it out to show us and shoot for the first time. Refused to feed ANY brand/type of ammo from ANY make of magazie, etc., etc.

I'm getting deperessed just thinking of the junk guns I's seen.

Bought a stainless Taurus .38 Super w/rail (like the gun, hate the rail) and would buy another stainless Taurus if the price was right.

Just tell him to buy the SA and then tell him you aren't going to talk about it any more.

·
NRA LE Handgun Instructor
37 Posts
The Range officer is the most refined of the three listed.

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
Range Officer or STI Spartan.
I'd go with the RO.

The R1 is black oxide.

Not a fan of the black controls on the SR1911

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just tell him to buy the SA and then tell him you aren't going to talk about it any more.
Did that... He was looking at the other two for weeks and I didn't interject much at all, then he mentioned the RO.... OVER, DECISION MADE, GET THAT ONE!!!!

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
If the R1 had a beavertail...
If the Ruger had matching controls...
If the RO had a fixed rear...

:Cry:
THIS......

Me,I would go for the RO, if the adjustable sights didn't work out,then I get the Harrison sight replacement.But the Springer is the pick of the litter for me.

DAT85

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts