1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group. I've been a glock owner for quite awhile but now I am looking to get my first 1911 and I am on a budget. This is going to be nothing more than a range gun and an intro into the platform. I was looking at the RIA tac ultra and the Kimber Custom LW. I have heard Kimbers have gone downhill a little but I have no experience in them. Looking for any input and advice on the 2 or any other options around the 650 700 mark. Thanks .

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,798 Posts
New to the group. I've been a glock owner for quite awhile but now I am looking to get my first 1911 and I am on a budget. This is going to be nothing more than a range gun and an intro into the platform. I was looking at the RIA tac ultra and the Kimber Custom LW. I have heard Kimbers have gone downhill a little but I have no experience in them. Looking for any input and advice on the 2 or any other options around the 650 700 mark. Thanks .
If you can get a deal on an older Kimber (Series 70) then that, otherwise I would consider an RIA Mil-Spec for your first. In my mind everyone should start with a Mil-Spec 1911 but that is just me.

RIA has a good reputation and can be a good base gun, especially in a Mil-Spec.

Or you could look for a good deal on a Springfield.

For your first 1911 I would also suggest sticking to a bushing barrel gun, not a bull barrel.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I was in the same boat as your in, I've carried Glock for years "work" after retiring I decided I wanted to give the 1911 a try , I wanted good but but inexpensive,

Springfield mil-spec was my choice, it has replaced my Glock as my daily cc .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why the bushing over bull? It is mainly to get to know the platform as it was created? I was under the impression the bull will have better lock up. Bushings are cheaper to replace than barrels I guess.

If you can get a deal on an older Kimber (Series 70) then that, otherwise I would consider an RIA Mil-Spec for your first. In my mind everyone should start with a Mil-Spec 1911 but that is just me.

RIA has a good reputation and can be a good base gun, especially in a Mil-Spec.

Or you could look for a good deal on a Springfield.

For your first 1911 I would also suggest sticking to a bushing barrel gun, not a bull barrel.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I own(ed) both RIA's and Kimbers.

As a new owner, you will get the most "bang for the buck" with the RIS TAC Series guns. Stay away from anything compact (shorter than a 4.25" barrel) an stay away from the RIA GI series guns.

Kimbers and nice, but you will most probably need to replace a few internal parts to get them reliable, most notably the extractor.

For a first time 1911 owner, I would recommend RIC TAC II Series.

YMMV

Z

Reactions: isialk

·
14,799 Posts
Springfield's as mentioned above are another great option. Their GI Series is far superior to RIA's GI Series.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check out the Springfield Defender. It is a basic mil-spec with better sights, a lowered ejection port. Springfield is currently promoting this model with special pricing. You can find them for around $450. Gun also includes a forged frame.

·
14,799 Posts
Check out the Springfield Defender. It is a basic mil-spec with better sights, a lowered ejection port. Springfield is currently promoting this model with special pricing. You can find them for around $450. Gun also includes a forged frame.

Ditto ^^^

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Illinois! You’re gonna get good recommendations from the people here. I looked around and read here and elsewhere till my eyes were ready to fall out and bought this Springfield TRP for my first 1911. I shot it straight out of the box and runs great. Zero issues. We’re glad to have you here with us.
IMG_0461.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
SALoadedTarget1911.jpg
I recently bought a Springfield Loaded Target from another member of this forum as my first 1911. While mine had some significant enhancements, I can tell there's quality in the basic platform, and the gun is a fantastic shooter, so I'd recommend adding Springfield to your list of considerations. Keep an eye open in the classifieds of this forum because I've seen quite a few good deals posted, and you're very likely to be dealing with reputable people.

·
14,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Illinois! You’re gonna get good recommendations from the people here. I looked around and read here and elsewhere till my eyes were ready to fall out and bought this Springfield TRP for my first 1911. I shot it straight out of the box and runs great. Zero issues. We’re glad to have you here with us. View attachment 403849

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my grail guns. If that Strahan hadn't have come up, I would probably getting a TRP.

Z

1 - 17 of 17 Posts