HELP!! Aftermarket recoil spring for 6" Longslide 10mm R1 Hunter

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by r1hunter10mm, Jan 20, 2019.

1. r1hunter10mm

r1hunter10mm New Member

Jan 20, 2019
    My Remington R1 Hunter Longslide in 10mm has a too light factory recoil spring. When I shoot the gun, the brass is slung about 20 feet to my 4 o'clock, even with FBI 10mm loads like Armscor and Magtech. I'm hitting people sitting down at the other end of the range with ejected brass. I'm beginning to get seriously worried that this will crack my frame in the long-run, so I want to fix the problem now.

I've looked everywhere on the internet and I can't find an aftermarket flat recoil spring for a 6" longslide 1911. I've read that I can install a modified recoil spring plug from Fusion firearms
    so that I could then use 5" flat recoil springs like from Wilson combat. Is that true? If not, where can I get a 6" recoil spring? I looked at fusion firearms, and even though they're saying they offer 25 and 26 lb springs, their drop-down menu only lists 23 lbs as the heaviest, and the description says 5" 6". How could a spring be used for both lengths? Not understanding.

please help, this is my first 1911.

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Fusion Firearms says they have 5 and 6 inch springs from 9-26#.

Other than that, I know nothing about them.

3. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Look into a monster Main Spring and install a Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop first.

A heavier RS won’t do a lot to tame slide velocity AND you’ll deal with additional muzzle dip as it goes to battery.

r1hunter10mm likes this.
  4. r1hunter10mm

r1hunter10mm New Member

Jan 20, 2019
    So Wilson Combat has a firing pin stop, series 70, square bottom. I can't post the link because of spam protection bs but would that be good enough?

Also, regarding the Monster Mainspring, is "Monster" the brand? Google isn't showing up a monster mainspring but quite a few other different mainsprings.

gaijin likes this.
  5. r1hunter10mm

r1hunter10mm New Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Also, what would be the difference between a heavy and light mainspring? I'm assuming I need the heaviest one. Wolff offers a 34lb mainspring. Is that what I need?

migunner likes this.
  6. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    migunner and r1hunter10mm like this.
  7. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Just saw this.

Do you know what springs ( recoil, MS) are in your gun now??!!

If yes, you have a starting point.
    You need heavier, probably substantially heavier, than what you have now, from what you describe.

If your gun is a “70 Series” style then yes, the Wilson FBFPS will work.

“Monster Mainspring” simply meant heavier.

You may need to go UP in recoil spring weight as well. (Really sorta need to know what’s in gun now).

Springs are relatively cheap.
    You may need to “cover the spread” in spring weights and experiment, if you DON’T know what’s in your gun now.

I would probably start at 25# and go up in increments to 34# (which certainly qualifies as a Monster MS in my book).

I know about zip re. Longslide/10mm.
    I DO know I’d attempt to lower slide velocity with MS and FBFPS and keep RS weight minimal- for that gun/caliber.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted