Help an Addict Spend his Tax Return

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Tallahassee, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Tallahassee

Tallahassee New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks to some continuing education credits, I'm getting back more from my taxes than I expected. Sounds like 1911 time to me! :thumb:

Here is where I would like some advice. A local gun store has a range rental Rock River Arms Tactical that they are selling. I shot it and it functioned great, except that I would have to tug on the magazine a little after pressing the release to get it to eject. That could be something that a good thorough cleaning would solve, but I don't know. They are asking $1600 for it, and for a rental gun that seems a little high to me, even if it is discontinued. What do you guys think, and if anything what would you say is a fair offer for it?

My other considerations are a Premier II or an Ed Brown Kobra Carry. That same shop placed an order for Ed Browns at the end of last year before the most recent price increase, so they have some Special Forces they're selling for $2200. I asked what the Kobra Carry would be and they guessed about the same. The special forces are about $200 below current MSRP, so I'm expecting the KC to come in somewhere between the $2200-2500 range. I still asked them to call me when the KC comes in.

Thanks for the feed back in advance everyone. I've rented a couple semi custom 1911s before, but this will be the first one that I buy and I'm already excited.

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Do you want to go though that shop or is ordering online an option for you?

What do you want out of the gun? How much do you want to spend?

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Buy ajs NN can't go wrong. Check it out. Like new and a gorgeuos gun. He just bought it and it isn't even broke in.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. Tallahassee

Tallahassee New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I don't necessarily have to buy from that shop. I was just surprised at their prices on the Ed Browns because usually this shop is pretty expensive on most guns. I'm not opposed to ordering something from CJ or something like that, though.

I would like to keep this around $2000 or below, but if the right deal on a Kobra Carry came along I could go a little higher. This will be mostly a range gun, but at some point I do want a nice 1911 for CCW.

The more I think about it, though, I would like to stick to $2000 or less, though, because at that point I could get some reloading equipment, as well.

Thanks, I will look at that, too.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Agreed, the gently used "No Name" is a heck of a way to go in that price range.

Andy

6. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I'd try for a NN myself, but Baers do represent a great value, and they easily fit your budget without giving up much to a NN.

7. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think a Baer or Brown would be the best for sub 2k. I would also make sure to give CJ a call before I bought a Baer or Brown any place else.

I do think the No Name for sale in the classifieds is a great deal and a nicer gun but it does cost more. I would buy it if I had the money right now.

8. Tallahassee

Tallahassee New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I keep coming back to the Rock River because of how rare they are, and I really did enjoy shooting it. I'd still like to strip it down and take a look at some of the internals, but assuming everything was fair to good, what would be a reasonable offer for it?

9. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    If you can snag a RRA, go for it. Great gun. They usually go for a pretty good bit though. The NN is a great choice too.

10. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    The fact that it was a rental bothers me, I don't suppose you have any idea what the round count would be? Without knowing much or seeing it, pegging a value is a little tough. I suppose I'd probably want to be somewhere around $1300-$1400 on it.

11. Tallahassee

Tallahassee New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I don't know the round count, and I have the same concern. If I do decide on the RRA, I'll ask the store but I don't know if they keep track of that.

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking somewhere in the $1400 range as well.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted