Help finding new front sight for DW CCO and ECO

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by zipper046, Mar 3, 2019.

1. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Ok folks....need some help locating a good BRIGHT, LARGE front sight for my DW CCO (either Trijicon HD types or Fiber Optic).

Backstory: I have some Trijicon night sights on my DW CCO and DW ECO that have a white outline. While I love this set up....these particular night sights are crap! The white outline on this particular set is painted on, and seems to wear and chip in a very short order...thus making them difficult to see at times. I know most manufacturers use Trijicon vials, but some only paint around them while others place a white pvc type material around them (Ameriglo does this). The one's with the white pvc material actually last much longer.

In researching the front sight cut...it looks like DW switched over to a Novak cut from the Springfield cut some time in 2015. My CCO was built in 2014 and my ECO in 2013, so most likely the Springfield cut.

So....with that said...anyone here have any luck installing some Trijicon HD's, HDR's, Fiber Optics, or other really bright (and large) front sights on their DW CCO's?

If you have....what brand, where did you buy them?

My next step is to send the slide off to Lou at BEC for a white ball treatment, or to Novaks direct to have the front sight cut for a Novak and installation of something....

Thanks!
    Z-

2. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Watching for ideas..

3. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    LOL....same boat Kip?

I measured the front sight dovetail on my DW CCO (circa 2014): .350" wide x .075" deep x 60 degree cut.

The front sight measures .140" tall....so looks like I need to find a .140" tall sight that fits the above dimensions....which is a pain in the A** because not all manufacturers list their dimensions.....grrrrr.....

I also measured my DW ECO in 9mm (circa 2013).... same dovetail dimensions as the CCO but a .160" tall front sight....Hmmm....shots were grouping well but LOW....so I'm thinking a .140 - .150" tall front sight on that one may work better....

Kip likes this.
  4. tc215

tc215 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    As you’ve probably seen, Trijicon doesn’t make an HD style front sight in the Springfield cut.

It is possible, however, to modify a sight with a Springfield cut to fit a Novak cut.

5. BloodyBill

BloodyBill Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2017
    Have you looked at Dawson? They have a pretty broad variety.

6. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    LOL...yeah...i’ve had to fit sights in the past, but it’s getting to be a pain in the a$$ to find sights that are “close”...seems everyone has their own small variations on Novak sight cuts!

I’m going to search Dawson...not alot of .140” tall options out there...if i strike out I may just send the slide out to Dawson or one of the ‘smiths here...calling @SteveOwens or Lou or Karl or ....LOL..

7. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I had a gold bead made by John Harrison for my PM9. I believe he used. Dawson .140 iron front site to make it for me.!

gps man and zipper046 like this.
  8. LBZ

LBZ Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    XS sights big or standard dot for a Springfield champion should work, correct?

9. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Yeah...problem is that hardly anybody makes a front sight with the Springfield cut...that seems to be my problem. DW uses a Springfield cut for the front dovetail, and a Novak's cut for the rear....they finally changed over to Novak cuts front & rear in 2015.....Very frustrating....

Kip likes this.
  10. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Nope....for a Springfield cut it would be a "custom" sight....they can make it, but it's another $20 on top of the list price for whatever sight....

11. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Yup..I ordered another .140 tall night sight from John (Hoping it's not the same painted white ring I have now) and also a Fiber Optic. I like FO's for front sights....for days and dusk....but for night, not so much, LOL. I may have to look into a gold bead from him.....

gps man and Kip like this.
  12. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    This I would try.....will look up their sights this weekend, THANKS!

13. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    The original 3” Springfield EMP used a .140 front sight. You might try searching for one listed for that pistol.

14. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    I would call or email Shawn Sastri, the parts Guru art Dan Wesson Firearms. He will take the serial number of your gun, tell you the correct sight height you need for the pistol, and can sell (and ship) you either type of sight - FO or Trijicon. He is very responsive e, and has helped me many timers with this exact issue.
    [email protected]
    607-336-1174 ext 1

Kip likes this.
  15. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    He makes the nicest gold bead of all of those I own. It sits practically flush with the blade with a slight radius, and is 24K gold. It really pops.

zipper046 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted